Improving indexing on 9-sp.

Old April 17th 05, 09:12 AM

Default Improving indexing on 9-sp.

I'm frustrated after failing to achieve accurate indexing on a hardtail
downhill/jump MTB. It has a small range cassete and a Deore wide range
rear derailleur. I guess the downhill crowd likes those 'corncob'
gears. Should they be mated with short-arm road deraileurs? Any other
suggestions for improving shifting accuracy?

Dan Christopherson
Lopez Island WA

Old April 18th 05, 02:26 AM

The frame is a Banshee Morphine with rear-opening dropouts. The axle is
adjusted way back so the brake rotor doesn't contact the caliper body.
This puts the jockey pulley even further from the cassette. The owner
likes as short a chain as possible for less derailment on front (it has
two chainrings, no chain retention system). The B-screw is adjusted all
the way out to get the jockey pulley closer.

Dan Christopherson
Lopez Island Wa

Old April 18th 05, 02:30 AM

The derailleur hanger and derailleur are straight.

Dan Christopherson
Lopez Island Wa

Old April 21st 05, 07:08 AM

Rear brake is a Hayes HFX-9 HD

Old April 21st 05, 08:43 PM
Marvin

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
daveornee wrote:
Wrote:
I'm frustrated after failing to achieve accurate indexing on a
hardtail downhill/jump MTB. It has a small range cassete and a

Deore
wide range rear derailleur. I guess the downhill crowd likes those
'corncob' gears. Should they be mated with short-arm road
deraileurs? Any other suggestions for improving shifting accuracy?

Dan Christopherson
Lopez Island WA

A shorter RD likely will help.

Doubtful. If the OP has a DH/jump bike, it's much more likely that

his
derailleur hanger is bent. Long or short cage makes virtually no

difference
in practice. When you think about it, it makes sense. The upper

pulley is
just as close to the cassette in a road der versus a MTB der.

Except that long-cage mechs are designed to swing down at the same
angle as the average wide-range cassette, whereas road mechs are
designed with the shallower angle of a road cassette in mind. I've got
no end of trouble with a 12-23 I put on my long-cage-equipped touring
bike for a flat commute, you can see the angles going all to pot from
one end of the range to the other. The shifting is crisper when I put
the 11-30 back on, which given the larger jumps between the sprockets
is quite significant.

In terms of suggestions, our dirt-bike-obsessed sister shop stocks
Tiagra and 105 rear mechs, and I can assure you they don't go on road
bikes. Assuming all the usual culprits of cable run have been checked,
a short-cage rear mech might help.

OP, the downhill crowd likes single-ring, wide-range in rear

gearing... dirt
jumpers use the corncobs because they have a very narrow and specific

set of
speeds they use over and over and over. Much less varied terrain in

dirt
jumping.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training