Question: Cheap frame with 73mm BB - 68mm

Old November 22nd 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Question: Cheap frame with 73mm BB - 68mm

I have several bikes and try to keep just about all the specs the same,
so most of the parts will be interchangeable. i.e 27.2mm seatposts,
68mm bb, 1 1/8" stems........

I just bought a cheap frame on e-bay (gary fisher) with a 73mm bb
shell. Any problem in getting 2.5mm shaved off each side to make it a
68mm, assuming the chainstay allows for clearance of the chainrings?

TIA,

Nate

Old November 23rd 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
I have several bikes and try to keep just about all the specs the same,
so most of the parts will be interchangeable. i.e 27.2mm seatposts,
68mm bb, 1 1/8" stems........

I just bought a cheap frame on e-bay (gary fisher) with a 73mm bb
shell. Any problem in getting 2.5mm shaved off each side to make it a
68mm, assuming the chainstay allows for clearance of the chainrings?

TIA,

Nate

If you have the equipment to do it it's not a problem for the frame.
From my experience, a hand powered facing cutter alone takes several

days. :-( A Bridgeport mill is much quicker, using the hand tools to
square up the faces after milling.

Old November 23rd 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 22 Nov 2005 15:48:01 -0800, "Llatikcuf"
wrote:

I have several bikes and try to keep just about all the specs the same,
so most of the parts will be interchangeable. i.e 27.2mm seatposts,
68mm bb, 1 1/8" stems........

I just bought a cheap frame on e-bay (gary fisher) with a 73mm bb
shell. Any problem in getting 2.5mm shaved off each side to make it a
68mm, assuming the chainstay allows for clearance of the chainrings?

Raceface makes a bb that can be used with both 73 and 68 mm shell.
They supply a 2 mm spacer when used for 68. I have a new ISIS, 108
mm, one for sale, $25 should you be interested.
Old November 24th 05, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Paul Kopit wrote:

Raceface makes a bb that can be used with both 73 and 68 mm shell.
They supply a 2 mm spacer when used for 68. I have a new ISIS, 108
mm, one for sale, $25 should you be interested.

Never had much luck with the Raceface ISIS BBs, the FSA brand BBs have
lasted longer for me.

-Nate