Yes, I wanna witness (about cable quality)

Old November 26th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Yes, I wanna witness (about cable quality)

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:40:51 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:

I think you're thinking is up-side-down. There was no bad deraileur. A
bad
cable, replaced with a good one, made a good deraileur start working
again.

I have to aggree with you. Under the right circumstances what seemed bad
turns out to be good - just like some people do :-)

Ivar

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Old November 26th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:35:24 GMT, Phil, Squid-in-Training
skrev:

At our shop, we use any cables and housing that are cheap: QBP, Aztec,
Pyramid, Jagwire, etc. They all work fine as long as they are stainless
or
lined. Brand doesn't seem to make a difference... quality seems the
same.

I have been convinced - by you pro's in the business - that there are
several just-as-good-as-DA cable/housing and much cheaper. But for a
cheap - and by several winters worn down - derailer with a soft spring,
there was too much friction in a new standard Shimano cable/housing. I am
sure it was stainless - but I don't know what "lined" means in this
connection.
I would like to know how to check for the deciding qualities in a low
friction cable/housing.

Ivar

Old November 26th 05, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

skrev:

At our shop, we use any cables and housing that are cheap: QBP,
Aztec, Pyramid, Jagwire, etc. They all work fine as long as they
are stainless or
lined. Brand doesn't seem to make a difference... quality seems the
same.

I have been convinced - by you pro's in the business - that there are
several just-as-good-as-DA cable/housing and much cheaper. But for a
cheap - and by several winters worn down - derailer with a soft
spring, there was too much friction in a new standard Shimano
cable/housing. I am sure it was stainless - but I don't know what
"lined" means in this connection.
I would like to know how to check for the deciding qualities in a low
friction cable/housing.

Ivar

Stainless cable is shiny. Galvanized (the other low-quality type) is a dull
grey. Lined housing has a plastic liner on the inside that separates the
stainless cable from the helical cable reinforcement of the housing. You
can see it if you cut the housing and notice a bluish-grey piece of plastic
covering the hole in which you would put the cable. Unlined housing, when
you cut it, usually looks rusty inside the hole.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 26th 05, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

skrev:

At our shop, we use any cables and housing that are cheap: QBP, Aztec,
Pyramid, Jagwire, etc. They all work fine as long as they are
stainless or
lined. Brand doesn't seem to make a difference... quality seems the
same.

I have been convinced - by you pro's in the business - that there are
several just-as-good-as-DA cable/housing and much cheaper. But for a
cheap - and by several winters worn down - derailer with a soft spring,
there was too much friction in a new standard Shimano cable/housing. I
am sure it was stainless - but I don't know what "lined" means in
this connection.
I would like to know how to check for the deciding qualities in a low
friction cable/housing.

Ivar

both the d/a & xtr cables are both "lined & slimed" - the inners have a
polyethelyene liner and are lubed [i think with silicone]. the ferrules
also have internal grommet seals that keep out the grit that is the
cause of the friction problem in the first place. fwiw, the cables are
also very high quality with much smoother strand surfaces than some of
the cheaper brand cables. check them out with a magnifier. anyway, the
combo of non-goopy lube, ferrules and quality wire make for a great long
lasting overall combination. cheaper cables are lined, not slimed, and
the ferrules are not sealed. they work fine initially, but time to next
needed maintenance is much reduced in my experience - particularly in
rain, mud, etc.
Old November 26th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the deray system is balanced by design. using "grease" on the cables-a
practice not recommended by shimano-in cold weather probabbbly gettting
below ambient summer temps to 60 degrees then causes gease/cable
"sticktion", the design balance is upset, the deray no longer responds.
no grease, no oil, maybe light teflon wax to 40 degrees

Old November 27th 05, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
25 Nov 2005 06:39:11 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

Too bad the 'light' didn't include seeing that many LBS inner wires and
lined housing are 'XTR/DA' quality w/o the high price. Most aftermarket
inner wire/housing combos, the highest quality ones, are on par with
the 'branded' ones...just less money.

No, that doesn't matter.

I am celebrating that I succeded in blowing new life into a cheap and old
derailler, simply by installing top quality wire/housing.

On top of the satisfaction I saved around 50 dollars by not buying af new
derailler, as I was ready to.

However, the experience that I wanted to share, was not how cheap I could
get around the problem, but how wire/housing of top quality can make a bad
derailler work good.

Agree with this

I know you, Peter Old Man, know which cable sets are
as-good-as-but-much-cheaper. All I know is that the cheap Shimano cable
set isn't good enough for a cheap derailler.

Agree times 2-good for you going to the cheapest solution
first...something I wish some bike shops here in the republic would
do...

Ivar (of Denmark)

Help required, Shimano Rapidfire cable replacement John Henderson Techniques 8 October 24th 05 07:22 AM
Rear canti on MTB sans frame cable hanger? Luke Techniques 12 October 3rd 05 03:19 PM
Cable Lugs Gags Australia 6 June 21st 05 01:01 AM
Front derailler adjustment Yum Techniques 12 October 6th 04 05:07 AM
Wanna upgrade my bike ... advice needed. Daniel Crispin General 3 June 29th 04 02:37 PM