Where is Global Warming when you need it?

Old November 30th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

Default Where is Global Warming when you need it?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Derek C expressed precisely :
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

Derek C

I don't remember ever having snow fluttering down one minute and then
heavy hail the next, but it happened this afternoon.

We have had that for 2 days now! And lightening at the same time - totally
bizarre!

Old November 30th 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 30/11/2010 10:42, GT wrote:

"Harry wrote:
Derek C expressed precisely :

A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

I don't remember ever having snow fluttering down one minute and then
heavy hail the next, but it happened this afternoon.

We have had that for 2 days now! And lightening at the same time

What? The force of gravity weakening?

- totally bizarre!

The last time this happened was in the original 1930s Flash Gordon serials.
Old November 30th 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

"Doug" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 6:42 pm, Derek C wrote:
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

Strange tree hugging post starts he
"
Nothing went wrong. Give it time, maybe another 100 years or two.
Polluting climate change deniers always get their timelines badly
wrong don't they. Besides, the present cold snap is the worse for a
teeny weeny mere 17 years, which is hardly definitive in any way.
Though I suppose it could be argued that collectively weather extremes
are becoming a tad more frequent these days.

I am so glad a climate change discussion has been opened up by the
motorists here, in an attempt to try to justify the pollution they
cause. It also means I cannot be accused of being OT on a cycling
newsgroup this time around.
"

Sensible, scientific reply starts he

Why is it that the beardy, tree-hugging types can never post in here
properly!!

He missed out the '3% of' from his line about 'the pollution they cause'!
More than 3-quarters of all the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the sea -
why don't the mentalists focus on that massive figure instead of focusing on
the 3% that comes from transportation???

Old November 30th 10, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

"Doug" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 9:43 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Derek C wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:55 am, Doug wrote:
On Nov 30, 7:49 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Nov 29, 6:42 pm, Derek C wrote:
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a
balmy Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

Nothing went wrong. Give it time, maybe another 100 years or two.
Polluting climate change deniers always get their timelines badly
wrong don't they. Besides, the present cold snap is the worse for a
teeny weeny mere 17 years, which is hardly definitive in any way.
Though I suppose it could be argued that collectively weather
extremes are becoming a tad more frequent these days.

I am so glad a climate change discussion has been opened up by the
motorists here, in an attempt to try to justify the pollution they
cause. It also means I cannot be accused of being OT on a cycling
newsgroup this time around.

it is the pollution caused by the production of your illegal ebike
that has caused global warming, china knocks out more junk into the
atmosphere in a week than the UK does in a year.

Not per capita it doesn't.

Population of China 1.35 billion. Population of UK 60 million.

Derek C

I agree that there are still many chinese that live as they did centuries
ago, their output cannot be estimated. But industrialised China puts out a
vast amount of horrible stuff, both into the ground and into the air.
Bring
back Mao, he knew how to reduce the poulation, it seems that he was
responsible for at least 45 million deaths of his own people, largely the
farming peasants.

mr green face failed to indent:
"
So you think by blaming the Chinese you can excuse your own
considerable personal contribution to pollution?

As for global warming, it is too late now to do anything about it but
that doesn't mean that you as a motorist should continue making things
much worse.
"

We're not!

Old November 30th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:44:35 -0000
"GT" wrote:
More than 3-quarters of all the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the sea -

Err , what? Where the hell did you get that from? The sea is a net absorber
of CO2 which is why its becoming more acidic.

B2003

Old November 30th 10, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

GT wrote:
"Derek wrote in message
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

If you don't like the weather now, wait until winter arrives - we are still
in autumn until the 21st of December (or the 1st of December, depending on
which calendar you trust).

But what if the weather's still on the Julian calendar?

BugBear
Old November 30th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 30/11/2010 04:36, Derek C wrote:
On Nov 29, 8:15 pm, Clive wrote:
On 29/11/2010 19:30, Marc wrote:

On 29/11/2010 18:42, Derek C wrote:
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

Physics
Law
Highway code
Engineering
and now

Climate change

Which is another facet of the missing physics?

You must have missed fuel duty earlier.

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html

Diesel used to be taxed at a lower rate than petrol. Note that
conventional diesel is now taxed at over 3 pence per litre more than
conventional petrol.

a) And who buys either of these?
b) In my world "now" doesn't mean 3 years ago, it means 2010.
Old November 30th 10, 03:36 PM
amy45 amy45 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbear View Post
GT wrote:
"Derek wrote in message
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

If you don't like the weather now, wait until winter arrives - we are still
in autumn until the 21st of December (or the 1st of December, depending on
which calendar you trust).

But what if the weather's still on the Julian calendar?

BugBear
Brrrr I don't think I can take it if it gets any colder! May even have to give up the bike!

Last edited by amy45 : December 8th 10 at 11:38 AM.
Old November 30th 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

"bugbear" wrote in message
GT wrote:
"Derek wrote in message
A few years ago it was predicted that the UK would be enjoying a balmy
Mediterranean climate by now. What went wrong?

If you don't like the weather now, wait until winter arrives - we are
still
in autumn until the 21st of December (or the 1st of December, depending
on
which calendar you trust).

But what if the weather's still on the Julian calendar?

Aha - damn those Romans!

Old November 30th 10, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
GT

"GT" wrote:
More than 3-quarters of all the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from the sea -

Err , what? Where the hell did you get that from? The sea is a net
absorber
of CO2 which is why its becoming more acidic.

Some nature programme a year or two ago - after your post I have read a few
pages and it would appear that I seem to have misplaced my marbles...