Another way to avoid high petrol prices?

Old September 8th 05, 03:20 PM
BruceA

Default Another way to avoid high petrol prices?

Steal somebody's bike!!

Yes, unfortunately I was the latest victim of bike nabbing.
Today someone decided to break down our side gate at home, then waltzed out
with my commuting \wind trainer bike. I was probably asking for it in a
way. I always leave it outside under the pergola unlocked, although our
yard is locked up (well it was until they broke down the gate!) It's 10
years old and pretty battle weary so I wasn't too concerned about it's
security. But now that it has gone I am a bit lost. I now don't have a
commuter and I don't have a bike I can sit on the wind trainer.
I am going to visit our local stolen goods shop . . . .ooops, Cash
Converters to see if it has turned up, but failing that I will get about
$900 from our home insurance which I can use to put towards something a bit
newer and less knackered.
Ideally I would like to get a dedicated tourer for commuting and because I
enjoy long distance riding. I am thinking of the Fuji tourer, or perhaps
build one up from a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame, although this option will
probably be outside my price range (trying to stay around $1500). In the
meantime I might try and find a secondhand clunker that I can use on the
trainer. As long as the gears work, that's all I care because it isn't
going anywhere.

Does anyone know if Fuji bikes, and\or Surly frames are available in Perth?
If not, how about Melbourne, because I will be visiting Melbourne over
Christmas.

Bruce(feeling lost)A

Old September 8th 05, 10:32 PM
ritcho

BruceA Wrote:
[...]

Hard luck alright. Keep checking CCverters - you know it will turn
up... bloody drug addict thieves, they'll be first against the wall
when the revolution comes.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old September 8th 05, 11:50 PM
flyingdutch

Both are available at PeterMoore's

http://www.onecer.net/abbotsfordcycles/

on a tram line if you needs to get there without a car and only a
couple of km out of CBD.

Peter is alongtime touring stalwart (and very keenly priced too)

or check these out. seeing alot of these (well, quite a few...)
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/....php?s=4&a=433

--
flyingdutch

Old September 9th 05, 12:13 AM
BrettS

BruceA wrote:
Steal somebody's bike!!

Yes, unfortunately I was the latest victim of bike nabbing.

Sorry to hear that.

Does anyone know if Fuji bikes, and\or Surly frames are available in Perth?
If not, how about Melbourne, because I will be visiting Melbourne over
Christmas.

Don't know specifically, but check your LBS to see what they have. you
might be surprised. Plus it's a good idea to let them know about your
old bike. Some moron brought a stolen bike into my LBS to sell it a
couple of years ago. Only problem was, it had been stolen from the
mechanic who works there! Hilarity ensued...

Good luck.
--
BrettS
Old September 9th 05, 01:15 AM
Resound

snip
If not, how about Melbourne, because I will be visiting Melbourne over
Christmas.

Bruce(feeling lost)A

Hard luck alright. Keep checking CCverters - you know it will turn
up... bloody drug addict thieves, they'll be first against the wall
when the revolution comes.

Ritch

--
ritcho

How about the velorution? (which, we've been assured, will not be motorised)
Are we going to put anyone up against walls? If so, what happens then?

Old September 9th 05, 01:18 AM
David M

BruceA wrote:
Does anyone know if Fuji bikes, and\or Surly frames are available in Perth?
If not, how about Melbourne, because I will be visiting Melbourne over
Christmas.

Speedlite Cycles in Maylands had a shiny new Fuji about 2 years ago or
so. Not something they usually stock though...but I guess it means they
at least know where to get them!

Cheers
David M

Old September 9th 05, 01:36 AM
Theo Bekkers

BruceA wrote:
Steal somebody's bike!!

Yes, unfortunately I was the latest victim of bike nabbing.
I was probably asking for it in a way.

Do not assume responsibility for the theft. You're not the thief, you didn't
invite the thief in, you didn't help them to carry your goods out.
My house is not locked, my motorcycle is in the unlocked shed with the keys
in the ignition, my tractor is behind the shed, the keys are in it too. This
does not entitle anyone to steal any of my property. Anyway, they would
first have to convince the bull terrier that they are nice people.

I think it's like saying women in short skirts are asking to be raped. They
aren't!

Theo

Old September 9th 05, 01:53 AM
flyingdutch

BrettS Wrote:

Some moron brought a stolen bike into my LBS to sell it a
couple of years ago. Only problem was, it had been stolen from the
mechanic who works there! Hilarity ensued...

bahahahah

eminds me of a few years ago when an illustrator came in to show me his
folio and i was somewhat floored to see my own work sitting in front of
me! I offered him a coffee, walked out of meeting room to make it.
Came back in with the original, took his printout and tore it up.
he didnt stick around to drink the coffee...

--
flyingdutch

Old September 9th 05, 04:22 AM
SteveA

BruceA Wrote:
[...]

Balmoral Bikes in Vic Park has some Fuji. I've seen a very attractive
Fuji track bike there. I had a chat to them about the Fuji bikes about
6 months ago and at the time they said they we the only bike shop in
Perth doing the Fuji thing.

They did not have any Fuji tourers at the time if I recall.

What part of town are you in?

Give us a description of the bike and I'll keep an eye out for it at my
local purveyor of dodgy second hand goods.

Good luck

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old September 9th 05, 06:24 AM
Graeme Dods

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:36:25 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

My house is not locked, my motorcycle is in the unlocked shed with the keys
in the ignition,

Cool, can you fill the tank up with petrol too please or it would be too
expensive to make a speedy getaway

Graeme