Another amusing annecdote

Old May 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Another amusing annecdote

So, since you all enjoy the crash bandicoot episodes so much

OK, so I didn't crash. But I did find out that clumsy people
shouldn't use down tube shifters, lest one sticks their fingers in
rapidly spinning spokes. Youchy. At least my fingers didn't get
dragged up behind the front fork. That woulda been youchy youchy wah
wah. Just another reason to hurry up with the fixie conversion.

So whoever thought downtube shifters were a smart idea, putting them
right next to the spinning wheel (oh, and I keep changing gears when I
pull the bottle out of the bottle cage).

--
TimC
I've found that very little humour can be squeezed into 64 chara
Old May 12th 06, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:
So, since you all enjoy the crash bandicoot episodes so much

OK, so I didn't crash. But I did find out that clumsy people
shouldn't use down tube shifters, lest one sticks their fingers in
rapidly spinning spokes. Youchy. At least my fingers didn't get
dragged up behind the front fork. That woulda been youchy youchy wah
wah. Just another reason to hurry up with the fixie conversion.

So whoever thought downtube shifters were a smart idea, putting them
right next to the spinning wheel (oh, and I keep changing gears when I
pull the bottle out of the bottle cage).

I like DT shifters, no, I'm not that old. My first real road bike (which
I still have) has DT shifters. I bought it secondhand in around 2000 and
I didn't even know brifters existed at that stage. I like them because
it takes more effort to reach down and click around the ratios - so I
tend to shift less and work a bit harder. I also love the friction
operated FD shifter for perfect trimming of the FD.

I don't ride it very often, but it's strange - a couple of days ago
I found myself grasping to shift the RH DT shifter whilst on my
brifter equipped commuter. Weird as I haven't ridden the DT equipped
bike for around 6 months...

--
..dt
Old May 12th 06, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dtmeister Wrote:
I also love the friction
operated FD shifter for perfect trimming of the FD.

This FD refutes such erronious statements that 'FD's are 'friction
operated'
(depending upon the type of friction, obviously ) nor can 'FD's be
'perfectly' trimmed unless referencing the one-and-only-orig-o-nal FD
who has no desire to be perfect, nor trimmed!

F"off to look for friction"Dutch

--
flyingdutch

Old May 12th 06, 07:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:
This FD refutes such erronious statements that 'FD's are 'friction
operated'
(depending upon the type of friction, obviously ) nor can 'FD's be
'perfectly' trimmed unless referencing the one-and-only-orig-o-nal FD
who has no desire to be perfect, nor trimmed!

What's wrong with being perfectly trim.

--
..dt
Old May 12th 06, 08:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:

So, since you all enjoy the crash bandicoot episodes so much

OK, so I didn't crash. But I did find out that clumsy people
shouldn't use down tube shifters, lest one sticks their fingers in
rapidly spinning spokes. Youchy. At least my fingers didn't get
dragged up behind the front fork. That woulda been youchy youchy wah
wah. Just another reason to hurry up with the fixie conversion.

So whoever thought downtube shifters were a smart idea, putting them
right next to the spinning wheel (oh, and I keep changing gears when I
pull the bottle out of the bottle cage).

I think it was my first bike. It had shifters on the gooseneck, which I
changed to downtube shifters. Riding along Liverpool Rd that morning I
reached for the shifters, couldn't find them, had a look, changed gear
and looked up to momentarily view the telegraph pole I was about to
crash in to. Ouch.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 12th 06, 08:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dtmeister wrote:

I also love the friction
operated FD shifter for perfect trimming of the FD.

I miss friction shifters. So much less hassle than indexed gearing.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old May 12th 06, 08:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum wrote:
dtmeister wrote:

I also love the friction
operated FD shifter for perfect trimming of the FD.

I miss friction shifters. So much less hassle than indexed gearing.

The RD is indexed with a friction mode. Must admit, haven't tried it as
the SIS shifting works really well. The rear sprocket is only 7 speed,
so it's not really much of a challenge. My first Kmart 'racing' bike
from my school days had friction shifters on the gooseneck, don't
remember having any trouble with them.

--
..dt
Old May 12th 06, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum Wrote:
dtmeister wrote:

I also love the friction
operated FD shifter for perfect trimming of the FD.

I miss friction shifters. So much less hassle than indexed gearing.
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Look at some of the photos of Lance Armstong in the hills, He has the
front derealier on a down-tube lever. I read somewhere it was a weight
saving option.

I have two of my bikes set up with friction barcons (the tandem and the
dropbar 26" dirt road bike) both of which are fun. I like the ability
to check which gear I am in by feel on the end of the bar.

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Amusing tyre failure David Nutter UK 9 August 17th 05 02:57 PM
Slightly amusing anti-HGV site. Simon Mason UK 1 August 1st 05 09:27 AM
Amusing Yakima FAQ note Werehatrack Techniques 4 July 26th 05 08:43 PM
Amusing clipping.. Richard Adams Racing 1 July 24th 05 02:11 AM
Mildy amusing Willowbeauty UK 4 August 15th 03 01:05 AM