Newbie Question: Do I *Have* To Use Rim Tape?

Old November 2nd 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steven

Default Newbie Question: Do I *Have* To Use Rim Tape?

Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.

I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
etc.).

The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).

So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought? Or is it truly necessary? I
have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
rim tape.

Steven

Old November 2nd 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Hobson

Steven wrote:
[...]

Rim tape is necessary. Without it, the tube will expand into the spoke
hole and get punctured. I prefer the cloth, self adhesive tape. People
on this NG have mentioned Veloplugs are working well too.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old November 2nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On 2 Nov 2006 07:49:44 -0800, "Steven" wrote:

Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.

I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.

It is.

Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
etc.).

The type of tape and method of installation is mostly inconsequential;
as long as it stays where you put it (either by the action of
adhesives of through simple tension in the material) and effectively
keeps the tube out of the holes and/or off of the spoke heads, the
task is accomplished.

The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all. Or it is mentioned
as an afterthought (like on Sheldon's site).

Not an afterthought, but rather such a commonplace that no one thinks
they need to mention it. It's like tying your shoes before you walk.
Leave out the step and you'll discover the reason why you shouldn't.

So *IS* rim tape simply an afterthought?

No.

Or is it truly necessary?

Yes.

have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate
if you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing
rim tape.

Do it however it works for you. This isn't rocket science.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 2nd 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Steven wrote:
[...]

Yes it is a necessary item. Without it when your tube expands in the rim
and tire the tube will expand and rub on the spoke nipples and cause an
abrasion flat. There are at least a few different types available. I use
the rubber type. But have even heard of some people using duct tape. Use
whatever type you think looks best.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old November 2nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Paul Hobson wrote:
Steven wrote:
[...]

I never seem to have "proper" tape when I a set of wheels arrives in
the post, or I've built something up. So I end up using 3-4 winds of
electrical tape, as I've always got some of that handy. Never had it
fail. It is plastic, so you need several winds on a double wall rim.
Single wall rims, where you just want to protect the tube from the
spoke heads, may only need a couple winds.

When I buy the pre-made stuff, I prefer the fairly rigid plastic ones
that you stretch over the wheel. It's not romantic like Velox or
anything, but cheap, glueless, and easy to reuse and remove.

Old November 2nd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:49:44 -0800, Steven wrote:

Can't find a simple answer to this simple question.

I've been doing research on Sheldon Brown's and other sites on how to
change a flat tire. Sheldon briefly mentions rim tape but never bothers
to explain whether it's necessary or not to use it on 26" mtb tires.
Nor can I find information on the best way to install rim tape (do I
use baby powder, is it better to use plastic or cloth, is it better to
glue it on or find rim tape with self adhesive, potential problems,
etc.).

1) It is necessary
2) Do not use baby powder
3) I prefer cloth, but good plastic tapes work also
4) The cloth ones are self-adhesive. Plastic ones usually are a loop,
and use no glue. This means you have to be a little careful not to move
the "tape" to the side when installing the tire, or else you might expose
a bit of the spoke hole, which will pop your tube.

The whole reason I'm asking is because if you do a search online on how
to fix a flat or just install a new set of wheels (which is what I'm
doing) often times rim tape is not mentioned at all.

Fixing a flat usually does not involve the rim tape, since it is already
there. You should check to make sure all the spoke holes are evenly
covered and that it isn't split (can happen with cheap plastic rim
strips).

It is the first step to installing a tire on a new wheel, though. There
are exceptions, wheels that don't have spoke holes inside, so don't need a
rim strip, but these are expensive, boutique wheels and probably are not
your issue right now.

have yet to find one site (and if you find one I'd greatly appreciate if
you'd post it here) that explains - THE simple step - of installing rim
tape.

For the cloth tape, the beginning of the rolled-up tape will have a hole
that you put over the valve hole, then unwind and stick down to the inside
of the rim, covering the spoke holes. The tape should end up slightly
overlapping the beginning, but if you bought the right size it should be
pre-cut to fit that way. Shops sometimes have long rolls of tape, which
require you to not only cut it to size, but to cut the hole for the valve,
but your usual consumer tape is ready to go.

For a plastic strip, just slide it into place. Be sure it covers the
spoke holes as evenly as you can, and try not to push it to one side when
you put the tire on. Plastic strips, more than cloth, need to be checked
periodically to make sure they are not splitting over the spoke holes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies
Old November 2nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
di

"Steven" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You don't have to use it, but if you don't be prepared to fix a lot of flat
tires.

Old November 2nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
daytoncapri

You're right - the need to rim tape it is NOT provided in typical
instructions. Do without, and the spoke end will poke into your tube, or if
your rims are double-walled, the access holes to the spokes will form cut
hole-shaped marks on your tube. Your tube won't get cut right away, it will
happen later, probably at a most inconvenient time for you.

If you buy a new wheelset, the tape is usually purchased separately - and
you have to know to order it.

Suggest that you should avoid the lower-grade oem-spec $1.00 rubber
rimstrips - even though such a strip held up for many years on one of my
bikes. The rim tape seems so much more convincingly safe.

Yes, you can use other stuff, like electical tape, fibre reinforced
packaging tape, medical adhesive tape, but why not spring for the extra
$2.50 (or less if you shop) for the peace of mind that comes with
bike-specific products.

Anybody out there using duct tape?

Old November 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

"daytoncapri" wrote in message
. ..

Yes, you can use other stuff, like electical tape, fibre reinforced
packaging tape, medical adhesive tape, but why not spring for the extra
$2.50 (or less if you shop) for the peace of mind that comes with
bike-specific products.

Anybody out there using duct tape?

I used duct tape when a rubberized rim tape strip broke and I was out on the
road. This is one reason to keep some duct tape wound around your seat post
for emergencies. Duct tape works in emergencies, but there are much better
choices for a permanent solution. It doesn't have the right kind of
adhesive. It may dry out and harden and possibly be abrasive itself.

Old November 2nd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

daytoncapri wrote:

Anybody out there using duct tape?

I've seen it used. Bad idea. The adhesive is gooey enough, and gets
even nastier with hot rims. Don't even think about it. I've been using
electrical tape since the 80s, and even blue painters tape in an
emergency. Several winds of either is essential.

Newbie question about saddles (and sore backsides) Judith UK 9 March 28th 05 12:37 AM
newbie crit question Richard Racing 11 February 21st 05 03:24 AM
Newbie question The Old Fogey UK 4 April 28th 04 06:07 PM
Newbie question - adjusting deraileurs Badger_South General 12 April 17th 04 04:27 PM
Stupid Newbie Question ? Flak Monkey UK 1 January 12th 04 08:07 PM