Spoke Tension of Rear Wheel

Old May 12th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gig Miller

Default Spoke Tension of Rear Wheel

This is my first wheel build. Using 700C Velocity Deep V rims and
Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.

I have been told by the folks at Velocity that they build their rear
wheels with spoke tension of 110-120KgF.

Something doesn't seem right. If I take the left side spokes to
110KgF, I have to tighten the right side spokes to appox. 180KgF in
order to get the dish right.

Does this sound right? Is 180KgF too much? If I take the right side
spokes to 120, the left side seems loose at about 72 KgF.

I'm using a Park Tool Tension Meter to get these values. Am I missing
something?

Thanks,

Greg

We build all of our wheels at the same spoke tension. Spoke tension
is measured in Kilograms of Force (KGF). We build the front wheel
between 105 – 115 KGF, and the rear between 110 – 120 KGF. I hope this
helps, let me know if you have any further questions.
Old May 12th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Gig Miller wrote:
This is my first wheel build. Using 700C Velocity Deep V rims and
Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.

I have been told by the folks at Velocity that they build their rear
wheels with spoke tension of 110-120KgF.

Something doesn't seem right. If I take the left side spokes to
110KgF, I have to tighten the right side spokes to appox. 180KgF in
order to get the dish right.

Does this sound right? Is 180KgF too much? If I take the right side
spokes to 120, the left side seems loose at about 72 KgF.

I'm using a Park Tool Tension Meter to get these values. Am I missing
something?

We build all of our wheels at the same spoke tension. Spoke tension
is measured in Kilograms of Force (KGF). We build the front wheel
between 105 – 115 KGF, and the rear between 110 – 120 KGF. I hope this
helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

No conflict. The specified tension is for the right side! The left ends
at whatever is necessary to center the wheel with your hub spacing.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 12th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:39:40 -0700 (PDT), Gig Miller
may have said:

This is my first wheel build. Using 700C Velocity Deep V rims and
Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.

I have been told by the folks at Velocity that they build their rear
wheels with spoke tension of 110-120KgF.

Something doesn't seem right. If I take the left side spokes to
110KgF, I have to tighten the right side spokes to appox. 180KgF in
order to get the dish right.

Does this sound right? Is 180KgF too much? If I take the right side
spokes to 120, the left side seems loose at about 72 KgF.

I'm using a Park Tool Tension Meter to get these values. Am I missing
something?

Measure the tension of the drive side, not the non-drive, when
building. The non-drive will end up at a lower tension, and that's
normal. Tensioning the spokes beyond the rated maximum for the rim is
not recommended.

The accuracy of the Park tool is subject to fudge factors relating to
its handling of spoke thickness, if I recall correctly. Jobst Brandt
can elaborate on that issue.

Old May 13th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Werehatrack wrote:
snip for clarity

The accuracy of the Park tool is subject to fudge factors relating to
its handling of spoke thickness, if I recall correctly. Jobst Brandt
can elaborate on that issue.

he sure can - his elaboration is to declare it irrelevant to spoke
stiffness!

Old May 13th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Gig Miller wrote:
This is my first wheel build. Using 700C Velocity Deep V rims and
Wheelsmith DB14 spokes.

I have been told by the folks at Velocity that they build their rear
wheels with spoke tension of 110-120KgF.

Something doesn't seem right. If I take the left side spokes to
110KgF, I have to tighten the right side spokes to appox. 180KgF in
order to get the dish right.

that's too high. pay attention to the drive side spoke tension, not the
non-drive side. [if you want to check the math on this, i believe it's
now included in damon rinard's spokecalc.

Does this sound right? Is 180KgF too much? If I take the right side
spokes to 120, the left side seems loose at about 72 KgF.

I'm using a Park Tool Tension Meter to get these values. Am I missing
something?

tension differential is a function of hub spacing and therefore spoke
angle differential.

Old May 13th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gig Miller

72KgF as indicated by the Park Tension Meter feels way too loose. I
question the precision, not accuracy of the Park meter. Anyone else
ever run into this with this meter? Has anyone ever set up their own
calibration apparatus and checked the values?

Greg

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Old May 13th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Gig Miller wrote:
72KgF as indicated by the Park Tension Meter feels way too loose. I
question the precision, not accuracy of the Park meter. Anyone else
ever run into this with this meter? Has anyone ever set up their own
calibration apparatus and checked the values?

"feels way too loose"? if your judgment is better than the tensiometer,
why are you bothering with it at all?

more importantly, do you understand why dished wheels have a tension
differential? what are you hoping to achieve with higher tension?

Greg

Old May 13th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Gig Miller wrote:
72KgF as indicated by the Park Tension Meter feels way too loose. I
question the precision, not accuracy of the Park meter. Anyone else
ever run into this with this meter? Has anyone ever set up their own
calibration apparatus and checked the values?

What tension does it indicate on the drive side? It's not unusual for
left side spokes to be half the tension of right side spokes.

Art Harris
Old May 13th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gig Miller

Yes, I understand the reason for the tension differential. I am quite
familiar with vector analysis.

Old May 13th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Gig Miller wrote:
Yes, I understand the reason for the tension differential. I am quite
familiar with vector analysis.

so what makes you judge these spokes to be "too loose"? if we
understand your concern, maybe we can address it.