Entering the queue at a stop sign

Old July 29th 03, 07:40 PM
Tanya Quinn

Default Entering the queue at a stop sign

bigfloppyllama wrote in message ...
I have a question regarding stop signs. In the case of something like
this, do you stop, yield, or just pass right through the stop sign:
http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aaaa.jpg It's a US road so the
cars travel on the right side of the road, along with bikes. Red is a
stop sign, blue arrow is the direction you're going. Yellow is the split
of the road.

The road is rarely traveled on, as it just passes by a residential area
along side a freeway. I see most riders coast through it like it doesn't
exist, but there were two cops on sunday handing out tickets (I happen
to be a proud owner of one) apparently due to a few accidents (although
as long as the cyclist stays inside the bike lane, it's the fault of the
car for hitting it). Besides the casual sunday riders I have yet to see
a single cyclist even take note of the intersection. Honestly, I feel
that it's more dangerous to stop in the bike lane since no cyclist I can
think of expects you to stop. Your thoughts on this?

Do any pedestrians cross the intersection? If so its good to stop!
Also if a bicycle is turning left from the cross street he/she would
most likely be entering the bike lane, so it would be a source of
conflict if you do not stop. (plus cars making wide turns, ya its
their fault but you don't want to be hit by one rgardless) The turning
cyclist should see you but at an all way stop will not be anticipating
you travelling straight through.

Signal that you are stopping before you stop so that riders behind you
can anticipate this. Its probably okay from a safety standpoint just
to yield rather than stop but you also want to be sure not to get a
ticket.

Since these are stop signs I think that stopping should be required at
a T. But I also think that at signalled T-intersections exemptions
should be made that a cyclist can proceed straight through after
stopping and making sure all is clear. (similar to right turns on reds
for all vehicles)

I have nearly been hit while riding a couple of times turning left at
an intersection with the right of way (green light) where a cyclist
blows a red light at a T, and also as a pedestrian nearly hit by
cyclists blowing the red at the T. So you cannot assume that it is
perfectly okay to not stop at T intersections.

Tanya
Old July 29th 03, 08:14 PM
R15757

should be more aware of your surroundings. You should already know if cyclists
are behind you who might make stopping dangerous. If there are cars waiting at
a stop sign, stop lawfully. If there's nobody around, roll through carefully.

Robert
Old July 30th 03, 01:20 AM
Fritz M

Rick Onanian wrote:

I originally stopped in this situation, but no longer have the
balls to stop in the face of that danger.

I'm a little lost. Where's the danger in the illustrated situation?
Getting hit from behind by another cyclist?

There's a similar T-intersection on my commute home, except it's
controlled by a signal instead of a 3-way stop. If the light is red it's
short, so I stop as a courtesy to the other vehicles.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33| to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
Old July 30th 03, 02:11 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Fritz M + writes:
Rick Onanian wrote:

I originally stopped in this situation, but no longer have the
balls to stop in the face of that danger.

I'm a little lost. Where's the danger in the illustrated situation?

There could be conflict if a cyclists blows through out-of-turn,
and a car simultaneously turns left from the cross street.
The previous-previous poster (bigfloppyllama) mentions there
had already been accidents there; presumably that's why the
enforcement.

So, there's also the "danger" of being stopped by the cops and
getting a ticket.

Getting hit from behind by another cyclist?

I hope cyclists aren't /that/ blind or unprepared!

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 30th 03, 03:11 AM
Robin Hubert

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Fritz M + writes:
Rick Onanian wrote:

I originally stopped in this situation, but no longer have the
balls to stop in the face of that danger.

I'm a little lost. Where's the danger in the illustrated situation?

There could be conflict if a cyclists blows through out-of-turn,
and a car simultaneously turns left from the cross street.
The previous-previous poster (bigfloppyllama) mentions there
had already been accidents there; presumably that's why the
enforcement.

So, there's also the "danger" of being stopped by the cops and
getting a ticket.

Getting hit from behind by another cyclist?

I hope cyclists aren't /that/ blind or unprepared!

I was so blind/unpreared today that, 3 blocks from work on my 15 mile
commute, I was making a turn and braked when I detected an approaching car
from the right. I braked with my front as I usually do and met a slickened
manhole cover. Bike's ok, I lost skin.

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 30th 03, 04:20 AM
Tom Keats

In article nk.net,
"Robin Hubert" writes:

I was so blind/unpreared today that, 3 blocks from work on my 15 mile
commute, I was making a turn and braked when I detected an approaching car
from the right. I braked with my front as I usually do and met a slickened
manhole cover. Bike's ok, I lost skin.

Ouch. Wish I could upload you a rum & coke for painkiller. Actually,
I wish I could upload you a highball-sized B-52 in an Old Fashioned
glass, with a vanilla bean swizzle ... but I can't afford one of those
right now, myself. Did you go straight down? I hate when that happens;
it happens so fast. On the positive side, as you say, the bike's okay.
And at least there wasn't a tailgating rider to stack on you, and
possibly run over your chainstay.

We've got these waterworks bronze plates/covers imbedded in the streets, I
guess over where valves go. Those things can really sneak up on ya,
'cuz they're so small. They've caught me out a couple of times.
We also used to have really slick white crosswalk paint that got me a
few times while on foot, out in the rain. Fortunately, the city has
changed its paint recipe since then.

Hope you heal quickly,
Tom

Old July 30th 03, 05:32 AM
Eric S. Sande

We've got these waterworks bronze plates/covers imbedded in the streets,
I guess over where valves go. Those things can really sneak up on ya,
'cuz they're so small. They've caught me out a couple of times.
We also used to have really slick white crosswalk paint that got me a
few times while on foot, out in the rain. Fortunately, the city has
changed its paint recipe since then.

We've got a subway, and I've got a new commute (work moved). The
subway has big grates over it, I'm figuring that they are air exhaust
thingies. Anyway, I never really noticed them before.

When I say big, I mean across the whole lane, like 12 feet square.

Their openings aren't big enough to trap a bicycle wheel, but I
know they are going to be slicker than owl snot in a fresh rain,
and really bad news next winter. I'm still working out the
coexistence details, but the one at 21st and M streets looks
bad because I have to hang a left just after it.

If it ain't Scylla it's Charybdis.

Good features of the new commute include better parking and much
easier access to coffee, bad features are much heavier traffic on
the optimal route and many more red lights. My knee is getting
used to the more frequent accelerations.

Amazing how we adapt, I should have this route under control in a
couple of years.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old July 30th 03, 05:49 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
bigfloppyllama writes:

Besides the two intesections like the one I pointed out I stop,
queue up and go when it's my turn, but it just seems dumb to make
cyclists succumb to signs that were put in to prevent cars from
colliding, not bikes.

Well, maybe they were put there to prevent /vehicles/ from
colliding. And some drivers sure seem to have lousy aims.

But I'm not out to browbeat ya. If you can truly, confidently
pull it off without getting clobbered, by all means go for it,
if you don't mind risking getting a ticket. Your call.

There's a stop sign here that I regularly blow through. It's
not at an intersection; it's where some vestigal, paved-over,
abandoned RR tracks once crossed a street. I figure the sign
is still there for cars, because there's still a bit of a bump
there, and cars might bottom-out if they hit it at speed.

I'm not fond of arbitrary & useless rules either. But, I guess
there's no harm in really thinking about them before deciding
they're truly arbitrary & useless.

cheers,
Tom

Old July 30th 03, 06:45 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Eric S. Sande" writes:

When I say big, I mean across the whole lane, like 12 feet square.

So much for bunny-hopping.

Their openings aren't big enough to trap a bicycle wheel, but I
know they are going to be slicker than owl snot in a fresh rain,

^^^^^^^^

Claire's delightful way with words lives on. I'm gonna have to
use "scoogying" again, in her honour. I'm still not clear as
to whether scoogying is scooter-propelling one's self with both
feet while straddling the saddle, or doing so with one foot, after
partially dismounting but still standing on one pedal. For now,
I'm opting for the latter.

and really bad news next winter. I'm still working out the
coexistence details, but the one at 21st and M streets looks
bad because I have to hang a left just after it.

If it ain't Scylla it's Charybdis.

I'm gonna have to pull a Fabrizio, and ask if those are STDs.
I've got an old Emerson, Lake & Palmer album, with names of
tunes thatsound like that, on the back of the cover.

Good features of the new commute include better parking and much
easier access to coffee

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the coffee's really good, there ya go! It's worth it! Especially
if you can get decent growlies to go with it, like cinnamon rolls with
sour cream icing.

cheers,
Tom

Old July 30th 03, 05:09 PM
Robin Hubert

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article nk.net,
"Robin Hubert" writes:

[...]

Thanks for the well-wishes, Tom. In addition to the skinned elbow and left
hip, I am nursing my first ever thrombosed external hemorrhoid. I'm really
freaking ****ed about that (signs that I am getting old). I'm hoping that,
while causing no pain, riding will help resolve the clot. I can't imagine
being off the bike for weeks.

--
Robin Hubert