BBC helmets bull**** again

Old August 27th 10, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

Default BBC helmets bull**** again

Some time ago, I requested the BBC R4 prog "More or Less" to examine
the case for cycle helmets, as they had done some very significant
demolition jobs on other misuses of statistics. I was agreeably
surprised to find that they took up my suggestion and helmets were
featured on their programme today. Listen again at
http://search.bbc.co.uk/search?q=mor...%2Fdefault.stm

The helmet bit starts at about 12' 30" in.

Silly me! This is the BBC, which appears to have taken a policy
decision to promote cycle helmets, but I'd be surprised if they would
admit it. The prog is supposed to be a "Magazine show investigating
the ways we use numbers, statistics and measurements." except in the
case of cycle helmets apparently.

They interviewed Angie Lee of BHIT, completely pro-helmet of course,
and Dr Ian Walker, who appeared to be ambivalent. No-one was
interviewed who was against helmets. Not a single statistic was
quoted. The dichotomy between the helmet proponents' evidence and pro-
choice people's evidence was not examined.

The BBC has sunk to a new low, has gone through the bottom of the
barrel and is halfway to New Zealand.
Old August 27th 10, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

featured on their programme today. *Listen again athttp://search.bbc.co..uk/search?q=more+or+less+helmet&Search=Search&ur...

The helmet bit starts at about 12' 30" in.

Silly me! *This is the BBC, which appears to have taken a policy
decision to promote cycle helmets, but I'd be surprised if they would
admit it. *The prog is supposed to be a "Magazine show investigating
the ways we use numbers, statistics and measurements." except in the
case of cycle helmets apparently.

They interviewed Angie Lee of BHIT, completely pro-helmet of course,
and Dr Ian Walker, who appeared to be ambivalent. *No-one was
interviewed who was against helmets. *Not a single statistic was
quoted. *The dichotomy between the helmet proponents' evidence and pro-
choice people's evidence was not examined.

The BBC has sunk to a new low, has gone through the bottom of the
barrel and is halfway to New Zealand.

Sorry, shorter link here http://tinyurl.com/358uz42

Also, the presenter was grossly biased as he wore a helmet because he
thought they worked.
Old August 27th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"burtthebike" wrote in message
. No-one was
interviewed who was against helmets.

Wot!

I am forever told on here that no one is against helmets!

Shock, horror! You mean there are such people!

pk

Old August 27th 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
webreader

On Aug 27, 7:15*pm, burtthebike wrote:
[...]

Translation, 'bugger, they did not come to the conclusions I wanted'
Old August 27th 10, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

pk wrote:

I am forever told on here that no one is against helmets!

More like you're forever asked who they are. And either can't or
won't come up with an answer.

Shock, horror! You mean there are such people!

Perhaps Burt is one. Do you think he constitutes a "brigade"?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 27th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

webreader wrote:

Translation, 'bugger, they did not come to the conclusions I wanted'

Compare and contrast the depth of the statistical criticism in the
(unrelated) first part of the programme with that of the segmnet on
helmets.

No, they didn't come to the conclusion /I/ wanted, but then they
didn't show much evidence of having looked at much of the evidence
I happen to know is there. Which is odd, as people were
interviewed for the programme who provided considerably more
information than was discussed.

At least they didn't come to the conclusion it's a no-brainer.

Pete.
Old August 27th 10, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
pk wrote:

I am forever told on here that no one is against helmets!

More like you're forever asked who they are. And either can't or won't
come up with an answer.

Shock, horror! You mean there are such people!

Perhaps Burt is one. Do you think he constitutes a "brigade"?

pyromancer is/was another.

pk

Old August 27th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:19:01 -0700 (PDT), burtthebike
wrote:

snip

Also, the presenter was grossly biased as he wore a helmet because he
thought they worked.

I am sorry - are you saying that they don't?

Have you a reference to some research which shows that they "don't
work"?

--

The BMA view of helmets:

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.
The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries.
This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.
Old August 28th 10, 02:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

burtthebike wrote:
[...]

Let's be clear.

You asked the BBC to devote part of a "More Or Less" edition to the issue of
cycle helmets.

You must have had your reasons for that.

You are against the (compulsory, and probably voluntary) use of cycle helmets.

You must have thought that "More Or Less" would support your thinking on the
topic - otherwise, why make the request you made?

It didn't support your views.

Ever been had?