Seoul Cycle Design Competition Winner

Old December 11th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

Default Insular roadie rubbish about seats/saddles

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 12/11/2010 2:42 PM, thirty-six aka Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

They are also nowhere near the hatch level of the ice-cream van at the
top of the mountain. This makes for an unecessary dismount just as
all your buddies have finished their ice-creams and tearing down the
other side of the mountain. Tom can wallow in the knowledge that
drugged-up RAAM riders can ride faster in streamlined recumbents when
conditions allow. Enjoy your lonesome ice-cream, or did it fall in
your lap?

Tell us more about your planet.

It's a pleasant little stop over this side of the Milky Way. We call
it Earth. Welcome. And make yourself at home.

Old December 12th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
thirty-six considered Sat, 11 Dec 2010
12:38:06 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Dec 11, 3:32 am, Tºm ShermªnT °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/10/2010 9:03 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:

Well, you know, wind
really does suck

No, wind blows.

Warm air rises, there is the energy source, wind sucks!

I think it's only headwinds that suck.

Side winds blow. Head winds suck. I thought
that was already determined.

Old December 12th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Duane Hébert wrote:

Sitting straight up, catching the wind directly in my chest with all of
my weight on my ass and the wide saddle chafing my thighs doesn't sound
like my idea of comfort.

+1

Old December 12th 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Chalo wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
Chalo wrote:
The bicycle industry defines "comfort bikes" as MTB-derived bikes with
steeply sloping top tubes, rudimentary suspension forks and seatposts,
and high adjustable stems with riser bars. Oddly, most of these bikes
also have steep seat angles, making for a uniquely impotent rider
position.
http://www.chicagobikeblog.com/2007/...ort-bikes.html

Yikes. My ass hurts just looking at that.

That's 'cause you don't use a seat, but rather a perch. My prostate
hurts when I look at those. With the right seat, a comfort bike is no
less comfortable than a barstool.

I can't sit on a barstool for long. My ass hurts then goes numb.
Thankfully if I do sit on a bar stool for long enough to consume several
pints I need to get up and walk to the gents!

Having my thumbs and pecker go numb for weeks from a too-low drop bar
and a mockery of a bike saddle doesn't sound like a heck of a lot of
fun to me, either.

A numb pecker can be because the saddle is too soft in the middle! It
bends up at the nose when sat on, and puts pressure on the blood supply
to the pecker.

I don't suffer numb hands, but I used to sometimes get a numb pecker
until I got a more rigid saddle. Now I ride a saddle that's as hard as
a rock and wafer thin. I have no complaints about comfort.

JS.
Old December 12th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Why do upright riders need padded gloves, multiple hand positions, and
spend time riding hands-off while wringing their hands to bring back
feeling and/or to relieve cramps?

I don't wear gloves, not even for 200km Audax events or 200+km road races.

Multiple hand positions give you the opportunity to vary your position
depending on the terrain and conditions, etc. I would normally cycle up
hills or on the front of a bunch while cruising with my hands on the
tops. In city traffic or in a bunch where there are more changes in
speed and the requirement to be nearer the brakes I use the hoods. In a
race when the hammer is down, or speeding down a wicked hill, I'm in the
drops for maximum aero and control-ability.

I don't spend any time wringing my hands for any reason. I shake my
fist at asshole motorists from time to time.

After 6 hours solid in basically one position, I need a stretch whatever
position I've been in - even if I'm asleep at the time.

If all the pressure is off your hands all the
pressure is on your butt. The right saddle/seat choice is even more
important in that case. With crank forward designs you push yourself
into the seat while pedalling, increasing the pressure even more. Why
is that more comfortable?

Because it is a seat that applies pressure relatively evenly over a wide
area, unlike a bicycle saddle.

I get a numb ass sitting on a comfy office chair. Gluteus Maximus is
not designed to be squashed under body weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluteus_maximus_muscle

JS.
Old December 12th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

butbutbut, the newbie is *not* used to riding a bicycle!!!

People should expect a little discomfort from a new activity. If I set
out to run 10,000m I would expect sore legs and feet. If I went
kayaking I would expect a numb ass, sore back, shoulders and arms.

JS.
Old December 12th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

"James" wrote in message
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Why do upright riders need padded gloves, multiple hand positions, and
spend time riding hands-off while wringing their hands to bring back
feeling and/or to relieve cramps?

I don't wear gloves, not even for 200km Audax events or 200+km road races.

I wear gloves since I saw a buddy with no skin on his hands after
going over the bars.

Old December 12th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Duane Hebert wrote:
"James" wrote in message
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Why do upright riders need padded gloves, multiple hand positions, and
spend time riding hands-off while wringing their hands to bring back
feeling and/or to relieve cramps?

I don't wear gloves, not even for 200km Audax events or 200+km road races.

I wear gloves since I saw a buddy with no skin on his hands after
going over the bars.

BTDT.

No gloves = good incentive to not put your hands out. Tuck your head
and learn to roll. Less chance of a broken collar bone.

JS.
Old December 12th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

"James" wrote in message
Duane Hebert wrote:
"James" wrote in message
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:

Why do upright riders need padded gloves, multiple hand positions, and
spend time riding hands-off while wringing their hands to bring back
feeling and/or to relieve cramps?
I don't wear gloves, not even for 200km Audax events or 200+km road
races.

I wear gloves since I saw a buddy with no skin on his hands after
going over the bars.

BTDT.

No gloves = good incentive to not put your hands out. Tuck your head and
learn to roll. Less chance of a broken collar bone.

Pretty used to gloves now but I'll keep your tuck and roll in mind.

Old December 13th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 12, 10:35*pm, James wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
"James" wrote in message
T m Sherm n _ wrote:

Why do upright riders need padded gloves, multiple hand positions, and
spend time riding hands-off while wringing their hands to bring back
feeling and/or to relieve cramps?
I don't wear gloves, not even for 200km Audax events or 200+km road races.

I wear gloves since I saw a buddy with no skin on his hands after
going over the bars.

BTDT.

No gloves = good incentive to not put your hands out. *Tuck your head
and learn to roll. *Less chance of a broken collar bone.

JS.

On high speed falls I didn't put out my hand, but once down to walking
speed, it seems I couldn't resist it. I'll wear gloves because it's
too darned cold without them.