Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel

Old October 3rd 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel

On 10/2/2011 12:17 AM, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Three thoughts-

1) while the story is old, it's not nearly as old as the usual
(more-interesting) stuff you post... ?

2) hubless wheels are almost always a bad idea. The only time I've seen
yet that they really make sense is if you're building a monowheel.

3) it's nice to see students actually build something. 99.999% of the
time you see anything bicycle-related done by a student, it is a
"concept" by an undustrial-design student [ ] that pays very little
heed to the realities of mechanical engineering or materials properties,
and is nothing but a mere computer 3-D modeling file.
Old October 3rd 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 3, 5:55*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 2, 3:13*pm, thirty-six wrote:

On Oct 2, 7:00*pm, wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:31:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski

http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Those pedals better be held in with Loctite. *Because they probably
didn't spend the money on a tandem front crank.

Dear Frank,

The "Shimano" on the crank is upside-down, so they must have used an
ordinary crank that was handy:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/

There is indeed a reason why pedals come with left-hand and right-hand
threads, but this oddball probably won't be pedalled far enough to
reveal the problem.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

It's for speed of assembly. *With the bike held in the air by the seat
pin, the pedals are threaded on together by turning the cranks
backward. *It's a simple single operation used to cut production
time. *A pedal spanner is applied with the wheels on the ground and
cracked tight, leaving the cycle safe to operate. *The direction of
thread is unimportant, a pedal may still come off if it is not cracked
tight. *I have seen this happen with steel axles in steel cranks.

Assembly speed? Maybe so, or at least that might be one consideration.
At what point does the chain get put on?

I've seen a Campy steel axle pedal come out of a Campy alu crank arm
in use-- a new pedal and crank, maybe 20 miles max into the first
ride, and the pedal was not, according to the post-accident
investigation, tightened "tight". It was a right-side pedal btw.

When I used to rent track bikes at Alkek Velodrome, one "overseer"
took me to task for using the leverage available in the pedal wrench.
Um, corrected later in the infield while supervision was supervising
elsewhere, thank you very much. I always just figured the pedal
spanner had an unusually long handle on it, compared to the other
"hand tools" for good reason. Only one of which "good reasons" was
getting tight pedals off g. After Reading Jobst, I would think that,
while a very tight pedal spindle might still fret a crank (arm) (g)
around the pedal eye, it should fret less than a looser one.
--D-y

It's a 16mm cone spanner that flicks off beer caps with ease.
Old October 3rd 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 2, 7:00 pm, wrote:

[...]

thirty-six,
When do you think the pedals are installed? New bikes are shipped from the
factory with the pedals not installed, to reduce the size of the packaging.

In the 19th century when this opposing threading was adopted, nearly
all bicycles would be completed at the manufacturing site, which may
also be the point of sale.

I've never seen a bike shop mechanic install pedals in the way you
describe - all the ones I've seen install one pedal at a time. My years in
the shop happened a long time ago, though. Any current shop mechanics want
to weigh in?

You were looking in the wrong place.

Old October 3rd 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 3, 10:12*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
thirty-six considered Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:13:25
-0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Oct 2, 7:00*pm, wrote:
[...]

How many bicycles are shipped from the factory with pedals installed?

I doubt if there's any time saving involved in throwing a pair of
left/right threaded pedals into the box compared to throwing two
identically threaded pedals into the box.

So there will be no pedal for the left crank.
Old October 4th 11, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel (jobst)

On Oct 1, 11:17*pm, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, do u know anything about Jobst? The question came up in another
thread, but it developed in an amusing language game but w/o any
useful information. I emailed him a while back, but he never replied.

Thx,

Andres
Old October 4th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 4, 3:14*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:17*pm, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, do u know anything about Jobst? The question came up in another
thread, but it developed in an amusing language game but *w/o any
useful information. I emailed him a while back, but he never replied.

Thx,

Andres

It might be better if you used the words " he has not as yet
replied." Never is an awfully long time. So awful, you should never
use the word.
Old October 4th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 07:14:51 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 1, 11:17*pm, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, do u know anything about Jobst? The question came up in another
thread, but it developed in an amusing language game but w/o any
useful information. I emailed him a while back, but he never replied.

Thx,

Andres

Dear Andres,

The last I heard, Jobst started reading some email in July, but he
wasn't up to typing replies.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 4th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

they're on the do not hire list
Old October 4th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

--
- Frank Krygowski

There is such a thing as a pedal spanner. *Stand on it to tighten the
pedal then bounce a little to crack it on full whack. *It never shifts
from this installed position in either direction despite your
unfounded fears.- Hide quoted text -

place your 14 or 15 long handle open end wrench on shaft with the
unoccupied end grabbed by a large vise grip. brace pedal upward with
tuba4 and stand on it !
Old October 4th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 4, 8:23*am, thirty-six wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:14*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 1, 11:17*pm, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, do u know anything about Jobst? The question came up in another
thread, but it developed in an amusing language game but *w/o any
useful information. I emailed him a while back, but he never replied.

Thx,

Andres

It might be better if you used the words " he has not as yet
replied." *Never is an awfully long time. *So awful, you should never
use the word.

There is a concept called colloquialism. Ever heard of it? Or are you
so precise w/ language that your statements are completely
transparent?

Gene, could you please help adding more clarity to this discussion?