Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel

Old October 4th 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel

On Oct 4, 4:21*pm, kolldata wrote:
On Oct 2, 9:16*am, thirty-six wrote:

On Oct 2, 4:31*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
*http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Those pedals better be held in with Loctite. *Because they probably
didn't spend the money on a tandem front crank.

--
- Frank Krygowski

There is such a thing as a pedal spanner. *Stand on it to tighten the
pedal then bounce a little to crack it on full whack. *It never shifts
from this installed position in either direction despite your
unfounded fears.- Hide quoted text -

place your 14 or 15 long handle open end wrench on shaft with the
unoccupied end grabbed by a large vise grip. brace pedal upward with
tuba4 and stand on it !

Pedal spanner should have a 22degree offset head and be twice the
length of the crank, which is turned so that the pedal to be cracked
tight is near the bottom of the cycle. Very occasionally it is
helpful to hold the rear brake. Should the spanner or mechanic slip,
he has only a little way to fall. With a genuine spanner, it doesn't
slip. Plimsoles work well for me.
Old October 5th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 5, 2:36*am, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:24:57 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six

wrote:
[...]

To paraphrase someone or another:

It might be better if you used the word " torqued." *Cracked can mean
broken. So awfully inaccurate, you should never
use the word.

--
John B.

No, it's not a euphemism and there's no-one near death's door,
"cracked tight" is the correct term as the thread is heard and/or felt
to stick, slip, stick. Torqued does not convey the feel nor noise.
Old October 5th 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Ultimate low-spoke-count rear wheel (jobst)

On Oct 5, 2:36*am, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:14:15 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Oct 4, 8:23 am, thirty-six wrote:
On Oct 4, 3:14 pm, " wrote:

On Oct 1, 11:17 pm, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicycle/14216/

Intricate gearing:
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110818/
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110819/
http://www.gizmag.com/spokeless-bicy...icture/110820/
Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, do u know anything about Jobst? The question came up in another
thread, but it developed in an amusing language game but w/o any
useful information. I emailed him a while back, but he never replied..

Thx,

Andres

It might be better if you used the words " he has not as yet
replied." Never is an awfully long time. So awful, you should never
use the word.

There is a concept called colloquialism. Ever heard of it? Or are you
so precise w/ language that your statements are completely
transparent?

Gene, could you please help adding more clarity to this discussion?

Probably a place that says, "I'll knock you up" as a substitute for
"I'll wake you", wouldn't understand.

--
John B.

Really? Tell me more.
Old October 5th 11, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 5, 2:18*pm, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 19:54:20 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six

wrote:
[...]

As I have said in other posts, "England must be different". I can't
think of anything that I was tightening that goes "stick, slip,
click". But specifically pedals - you just put a 24 inch cheater bar
on the wrench and pull. Smooth as silk if you use anti-seize.

--
John B.

Which means you have no feedback and so can easily overtorque a soft
crank ith a 24" long bar.
Old October 6th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

unamazing
this is 'invented' about 10 times a year by hapless industrial design
students
heavy, expensive, inefficient, weak

wle
Old October 6th 11, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 6, 12:55*pm, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:12:57 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six

wrote:
[...]

Only for the uninitiated. A competent mechanic doesn't do that.

--
John B.

Yet you manage to go out of your way and use an anti-sieze grease
which takes away the simple feedback mechanism which reminds one when
to stop cranking. Most home mechanics need these cues to get the
fastening torque high enough, without stripping the thread. If I used
a 24" lever, the simple act of standing on it would likely be too much
for the crank thread. The normal 14" pedal spanner does the job well
and gets the pedal axle to a cracking torque with a little bouncing.
A regular 15mm spanner is not long enough, even with all my weight and
bouncing on the spanner.
Old October 6th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

thirty-six wrote:
The normal 14" pedal spanner does the job well
and gets the pedal axle to a cracking torque with a little bouncing.
A regular 15mm spanner is not long enough, even with all my weight and
bouncing on the spanner.

I own a Bike Friday. Bikes Friday come with a custom pedal spanner,
since pedal removal is necessary to fit the bike into its travel case,
for airline travel.

Many thousands of those bikes have been sold. Owners frequently travel
with them in their cases. Hundreds of owners subscribe to the bike's
e-mail list, where technical items and problems are discussed. Yet I've
never heard of a problem with pedal threads.

The custom pedal spanner is about 5" long.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 6th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 6, 5:04*pm, Dave Lehnen wrote:
wrote:
unamazing
this is 'invented' about 10 times a year by hapless industrial design
students
heavy, expensive, inefficient, weak

wle

Sure, that's all true. But it stops the dastardly rider from the Cinzano
team from taking you out of the race by sticking his frame pump through
your spokes.

Dave Lehnen

It makes it easier to grab your back wheel and throw you over the
edge.
Old October 6th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 6, 5:13*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
The normal 14" pedal spanner does the job well
and gets the pedal axle to a cracking torque with a little bouncing.
A regular 15mm spanner is not long enough, even with all my weight and
bouncing on the spanner.

I own a Bike Friday. *Bikes Friday come with a custom pedal spanner,
since pedal removal is necessary to fit the bike into its travel case,
for airline travel.

Many thousands of those bikes have been sold. *Owners frequently travel
with them in their cases. *Hundreds of owners subscribe to the bike's
e-mail list, where technical items and problems are discussed. *Yet I've
never heard of a problem with pedal threads.

The custom pedal spanner is about 5" long.

--
- Frank Krygowski

They're not the sort of bikes one goes honking up steep hills with, or
passing over cattle grids at 40mph. I don't wat to be fretting over
crank failure. ;-)