Rules of the ride. Traps of the trip. Bits of the bike. Joys of the journey

Old April 8th 04, 07:57 AM
Peter Fox

Default Rules of the ride. Traps of the trip. Bits of the bike. Joys of the journey

Dear URCers,

I'm going to define about 3 items under each of the following headings.

The object is to be able to have something memorable to give cyclists
who are learning or could do with a bit of waking up.

I could make them up on my own with 80% infallibility but perhaps some
of you might like to do the same. Anyone can write an essay on road
positioning or a dozen web pages on bike maintenance but this is
absolute bullet points that you expect people who are not yet convinced
of their value to memorise.

For example under R-o-t-R item 1 of 3 is probably "* See and be seen"
but what about the other (preferably no more than two) items? "? You
are traffic!" or "? Claim your lane" or "? Nobody ever collided with
space" or what?

The four categories are as in the subject line:
RULES OF THE RIDE - Survival for traffic
TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
BITS OF THE BIKE - Essential maintenance points
JOYS OF THE JOURNEY - Where cyclists score over others

I'm really looking for memorable slogans that can be expanded on as
required by people who know.

So over to you. Naturally the results will be published here first and
be PD.

[A handy _snipable_ form - You don't have to fill in everything -
Watch the trap in the reply address if you prefer email to news.]
8- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RULES OF THE RIDE - Survival for traffic
1 -
2 -
3 -
TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
1 -
2 -
3 -

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides
Old April 8th 04, 10:00 AM
Richard Bates

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:57:58 +0100, in
, Peter Fox
wrote:

Not complete by any means but ...

8- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RULES OF THE RIDE - Survival for traffic
1 - Indicate your Intentions
2 - Cycling is just middle of the road (lane)
3 - Life-saver-Look
TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
1 - Watch the wheels (is that car pulling out?)
2 - Beware the left hook
3 - Scores on the Doors - leave a door width when overtaking
BITS OF THE BIKE - Essential maintenance points
1 - Oil saves Toil
2 - Straphanging is only for the tube. Keep luggage secure.
3 - Gimme a brake.
JOYS OF THE JOURNEY - Where cyclists score over others
1 - Breath of fresh air
2 - Healthy heart
3 -

And don't forget: "Beware of the Bibs"!
--
Isn't it annoying when cyclingforums.com publish
messages that they haven't been granted permission
Old April 8th 04, 10:23 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Not necessarily the best. just what occurred to me on the spur of the
moment.

RULES OF THE RIDE - Survival for traffic
1 - Paranoia is good. They are all out to get you.
2 - Make your own safe space
3 - Be predictable - follow the rules

TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
1 - Metal covers are worse than ice when even slightly wet
2 - Puddles can conceal massive potholes!
3 - Wheels First - it's no good having your body over the ideal riding line,
it's the wheels that matter

BITS OF THE BIKE - Essential maintenance points
1 - Brakes
2 - Brakes
3 - Brakes

JOYS OF THE JOURNEY - Where cyclists score over others
1 - Congestion? What congestion?
2 - Predictable journey times
3 - We get fit in time we would otherwise waste seething in traffic!

--
Guy
===

Old April 8th 04, 06:47 PM
Iain Jones

Peter Fox wrote in
:

RULES OF THE RIDE - Survival for traffic
1 - Assume the worst and prepare for it. That car in the side road is

going to pull out in front of you. That bus you're overtaking is going to
move off. That guy standing on the pavement is going to step out in front
of you. Then, it's not such a shock when it does happen, and it's a nice
surprise when it doesn't.
2 - You've got as much right to be on the road as cars, HGV's etc. Don't

let them kid you otherwise.
3 -
TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
1 -
2 -
3 -
BITS OF THE BIKE - Essential maintenance points
1 - Cleaning the brake rims & blocks makes them more effective,

especially after bad weather
2 - Keep gears & chain nicely oiled, and get a gritty hub checked out
3 -
JOYS OF THE JOURNEY - Where cyclists score over others
1 - A winding mountain road may look nice from behind a windscreen but

it'll look ten times better from a saddle
2 - More reliable, quiet, cheap fuel, exercise, fresh air, no pollution

(depends what you've eaten)...
3 -

Old April 9th 04, 09:03 AM
congokid

In message , "Just zis
Guy, you know?" writes

TRAPS OF THE TRIP - Hazards
1 - Metal covers are worse than ice when even slightly wet

I'm ever so careful going over those now, ever since my spill last
September.

JOYS OF THE JOURNEY - Where cyclists score over others
1 - Congestion? What congestion?

I say 'quit your whingeing, you pollutin', congestin' c&%$£t**s and pay
your £5.'

3 - We get fit in time we would otherwise waste seething in traffic!

A work colleague once remarked to me - 'I just realised that cycling to
work is a win-win situation whichever way you look at it - you save
money on tube fare, you save on gym fees, you get to work faster than
you would otherwise, you get fit, and you don't suffer the humiliations
of public transport. Must do it myself'.

But, like lots of others who said they might take up cycling to work, he
never did.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google