How should Street Freestyle competition work?

Old August 18th 04, 12:44 AM
johnfoss

Default How should Street Freestyle competition work?

This thread is about the birth of a Street Freestyle competition event.
There are three pictures he

1. Should we call it Street Freestyle, or something else?

2. The immediate need is to get something concocted real quick, so
riders can get familiar with the idea in time for competition at MUni
Weekend on Sept. 19. We'll need to develop a set of rules, no matter how
basic, while I work to get a detailed idea of what the performing space
will include, and how big the paved part will be.

3. The longer-term goal is to replace the Open-X event at USA and IUF
competitions with something that's more interesting and successful. The
Open-X event finally worked pretty well this last time, at Unicon XII,
but it still seems to be missing a non-flat riding surface, and it
should be open to Trials unicycles because it's aimed at a lot of people
who ride them. This means it needs to be outside (or in a gym nobody
really cares about).

So while we may put something simple together for MUni Weekend, the goal
is to figure out a full-fledged event for future large unicycle
competitions. And small.

So what do you think?

BTW, if you want to know what Open-X is, it's one of the artistic events
in those two rulebooks linked below. If you read about Open-X, best to
read about Freestyle as well, to get some background. That's the event
it was derived from.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

Old August 18th 04, 01:56 AM
uniextreme

I think those rules will work fine although i think that you shouldnt be
able to use props like juggling and dancing. Also i would say since it
is a street freestyle comp the rider should be able to make it as flowy
as they can. For example i dont think you should be able to stop, go
into a seat out hop , do a few prehops then hop up onto obstacles and
then go do a whole trials line because thats trials not street i think
it should remain "flowy." Also this is i completely up to you but if it
were up to me I would say x-nay on the knee shins ay. Do to them
restrictring leg movement but thats all you.
Dont worry I would probably have may more thoughts but this is the first
stuff that came to me.

Brian Lundgren

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuw09 ( A few street clips were just
added)

Scars are tatoos with better stories

"Unicycling looks hard then when you try to ride it its harder than it
looks" canadian after trying to ride my uni.
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

Old August 18th 04, 05:11 AM
johnfoss

uniextreme wrote:
*i think that you shouldnt be able to use props like juggling and
dancing.*

For the most part we don't tell people what they *can't* do (goes with
the definition of Freestyle). But I don't think we need a section in the
judging criteria to cover props and other skills as I don't see them
likely. Instead, some of this would go toward use of the obstacles
and/or what you do on them.
*For example i dont think you should be able to stop, go into a seat
out hop , do a few prehops then hop up onto obstacles and then go do a
whole trials line because thats trials not street i think it should
remain "flowy."*

Also good suggestion. Again the idea would be to be flowy or smooth,
rather than jerky/stoppy (if we write that in), but not that you
can't.
*x-nay on the knee shins ay. Do to them restrictring leg movement but
thats all you.*

Deep gashes and broken bones also restrict leg movement. Hmm. Which
would be worse? But yes, we will have to decide if there will be any
safety gear requirements. I think yes, because it's not judged on what
you wear, but this would probably be the same requirements as MUni
racing: knees, hands/wrists, head. What do others think? Not to start a
big discussion about this, but I also like the idea of presenting a
responsible image for our sport by depicting riders who look like they
think ahead.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Old August 18th 04, 06:24 AM
TonyMelton

To me street riding is more about *how* you do your tricks/skills. Its
about style. In trials it does not matter if you hop 3 times or 50 times
to clean a section, whereas fluffing around doing a zillion prehops is
not good street style. I think it should definitely include props such
as grinding rails, ramps, stair-sets, planter-boxes etc and the judging
should reward innovative use of these props.

I would think the easiest place to hold a street comp (without having to
do a lot of carpentry) would be at a skate park.

My 2c

+0]\|-

--
TonyMelton - Skinny butt

Three new albums added to 'my photo gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10). Check it!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old August 18th 04, 06:24 AM
TonyMelton

To me street riding is more about *how* you do your tricks/skills. Its
about style. In trials it does not matter if you hop 3 times or 50 times
to clean a section, whereas fluffing around doing a zillion prehops is
not good street style. I think it should definitely include props such
as grinding rails, ramps, stair-sets, planter-boxes etc and the judging
should reward innovative use of these props.

I would think the easiest place to hold a street comp (without having to
do a lot of carpentry) would be at a skate park.

My 2c

+0]\|-

--
TonyMelton - Skinny butt

Three new albums added to 'my photo gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10). Check it!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

US Postal not seeing value to sponsorship... why? Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles Racing 170 May 13th 04 11:48 PM
Cycling to work banned James Annan UK 84 January 30th 04 05:54 PM
what is a good bag for taking clothes to work without wrinkling them Cory General 11 October 16th 03 12:36 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM