The great god of cycling smiled upon me

Old July 11th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default The great god of cycling smiled upon me

50 miles and courteous motorists. Loads of patience from those driving home
at the end of the working day. Waiting behind me until it's safe to overtake
& then doing so with plenty of room. I'd wave a 'thank you' & I'd get waves
back, or the 'thank you' flash of indicator. I got people giving me the
thumbs up as they passed by (definitely a thumb and not a middle finger - I
looked closely!). Crossing the A47 twice, there was no traffic, which is
unusual.

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

Old July 11th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Amey

wafflycat wrote:
50 miles and courteous motorists. Loads of patience from those driving
home at the end of the working day. Waiting behind me until it's safe to
overtake & then doing so with plenty of room. I'd wave a 'thank you' &
I'd get waves back, or the 'thank you' flash of indicator. I got people
giving me the thumbs up as they passed by (definitely a thumb and not a
middle finger - I looked closely!). Crossing the A47 twice, there was no
traffic, which is unusual.

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

A touch of TdF fallout perhaps?

Peter

--
www.amey.org.uk
Old July 12th 07, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 11 Jul, 21:03, "wafflycat" wrote:
50 miles and courteous motorists. Loads of patience from those driving home
at the end of the working day. Waiting behind me until it's safe to overtake
& then doing so with plenty of room. I'd wave a 'thank you' & I'd get waves
back, or the 'thank you' flash of indicator. I got people giving me the
thumbs up as they passed by (definitely a thumb and not a middle finger - I
looked closely!). Crossing the A47 twice, there was no traffic, which is
unusual.

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

you only get back what u give ie your polite to the motorist they
reply though ive had my off days when i met some right arseoles

Old July 12th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nat

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

I have noticed it too! I think the TdF fallout is my theory too, I've
seen more people on two wheels recently too. I wonder how long the UK
will know cycling exists before going back into their little tin
boxes??

Old July 12th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

wafflycat wrote:
50 miles and courteous motorists. Loads of patience from those driving
home at the end of the working day. Waiting behind me until it's safe to
overtake & then doing so with plenty of room. I'd wave a 'thank you' &
I'd get waves back, or the 'thank you' flash of indicator. I got people
giving me the thumbs up as they passed by (definitely a thumb and not a
middle finger - I looked closely!). Crossing the A47 twice, there was no
traffic, which is unusual.

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

Riding a tandem trike works for me :-)

It's sufficently unusual that many cars (especially those with kids)
actually overtake slooowly so they can have a gander.

It's also wide enough that even if I were to ride in the gutter
(which I don't) a car has to perform a "proper" overtake
instead of squidging through.

BugBear
Old July 12th 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article ,
bugbear wrote:
Riding a tandem trike works for me :-)

It's sufficently unusual that many cars (especially those with
kids) actually overtake slooowly so they can have a gander.

Millport currently has a conference bike for hire - makes loads of
heads turn because of its uniqueness but is a b****y nuisance to the
buses.

Old July 12th 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_2_]

50 miles and courteous motorists. Loads of patience from those driving
home at the end of the working day. Waiting behind me until it's safe
to overtake & then doing so with plenty of room. I'd wave a 'thank
you' & I'd get waves back, or the 'thank you' flash of indicator. I
got people giving me the thumbs up etc etc

What have I done to please the great god of cycling?

Gone for a ride without your top?
Old July 31st 07, 03:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jul 12, 10:40 am, Sandy Morton wrote:
In article ,
bugbear wrote:

Riding a tandem trike works for me :-)
It's sufficently unusual that many cars (especially those with
kids) actually overtake slooowly so they can have a gander.

Millport currently has aconferencebike for hire - makes loads of
heads turn because of its uniqueness but is a b****y nuisance to the
buses.

Nuisance - I think not...

Almost a month after the arrival of the Conference Bike (aka CoBi)
this solitary 'nuisance' comment is simply ill-founded and utterly
misleading. And more to the point, if you ask the many people - both
residents of and visitors to Millport - who have enjoyed the unique
experience of the CoBi, you will get unreserved positive plaudits ;o)

Reminder to the cycling newsgroups from Ed Dolan the Great T. Ling Yu Recumbent Biking 64 August 7th 07 02:32 AM
Ed Dolan the Great on the Cycling Newsgroups T. Ling Yu Recumbent Biking 11 July 25th 07 01:34 AM
Cycling TV -- great today billb Racing 1 March 18th 07 05:56 PM
Great Article in Journal of Pro Cycling DA74 Racing 0 March 25th 05 06:10 AM
Cycling in Great Britain Michael MacClancy UK 2 May 30th 04 06:56 PM