Headset dead spot?

Old April 8th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Valve Grinding Paste......was: Headset dead spot?

Hugh Fenton wrote:
"Teh bike guy" wrote in message
.. .
This is common and easy to fix, just squirt some toothpaste (whitening
formulations work best) into the headset and ride around for a few miles,
it will become all smooth again, after that you can flush with water and
add grease.

On a vaguely similar topic.........

I've an old aluminium CADEX ALM1 where the (lubricated) seatpost keeps
slipping down slowly........ No, the clamp IS correctly adjusted AND the
seat tube isn't squeezed closed...but it still happens unless I overtension
the quick release (and I DO need one of these owing to the riding I do.)

A friend suggested that valve grinding paste would solve my
problem.........an inert grit to prevent movement embedded in a lubricant to
prevent seizure......

Comments??????

Hugh Fenton

First thing I would try is to lube the QR cam and, if it's the removable
collar type, lube between the collar and frame tube. Sometimes friction
in these places limits the clamping force.
Old April 9th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:54:34 GMT, Peter Cole
may have said:

Hugh Fenton wrote:
[...]

Also, a detail I'd forgotten; if the split in the tube is not lined up
with the split in the camp, the grease mentioned becomes absolutely
essential.

slipping chain at same spot (and only that spot) Maurice W UK 5 June 3rd 07 09:49 AM
Integrated Headset Fork on Standard Headset C.H. Luu Techniques 3 September 7th 06 07:11 PM
Spot the unicycle cathwood Unicycling 4 December 23rd 05 03:23 AM
Advertise on TV only $30 for 30 second spot! [email protected] General 0 May 27th 05 07:58 PM
Headset Dead Spot marc UK 4 August 26th 03 04:58 PM