RR: Los Barriles, Baja

Old February 13th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

Default RR: Los Barriles, Baja

Had a chance to do some limited riding while staying in Los Barriles, about
60 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. I've done a bit of desert riding before,
but it was mostly coastal sandy track stuff. This was a sweet combination
of dirt/rock singletrack with a fair amount of elevation change, and the
normal desert penalties for error if you stray off the narrow trails.

Nice stuff. I understand there are many miles of trails close to town in
the surrounding hills, although we did only a couple of trail variations.
Best to ride early morning even at this time of year, it got pretty hot by
10 am. The moderate trails we rode were actually pretty gnarley for an
intermediate rider like me. Lots of deep rain wash ruts combined with loose
rocks from baby-head to medicine-ball size. Certainly enough to keep us
very entertained without being life-threatening. The paved road and traffic
from Los Barriles to the trailheads is probably the most dangerous part of
the ride.

So if you're into MTBiking along with windsurfing or deep sea fishing,
here's a spot where you can do many things. Decent hardtails available for
rental from the Vela operation at Playa del Sol hotel near the south end of
town.

Cheers
Gary

Old February 13th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
[...]

Can you post any pictures? Sounds like cool terrain.

CDB

Old February 13th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 12, 4:00 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
[...]

Wow, that's much more info than that dweeb Enchilada Jim Lame ever
posted about riding on the Baja Peninsula. Then again, all he did was
argue with vandamnan, being another pointless dumbass.

JD

Old February 14th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
[...]

It is very cool terrain, well, to someone from the PNW anyways. Lots of
sand, dry washes, granite, and every manner of spiny vegetation you can
think of. Sadly, the pics we took were for the benefit of family and
friends who are not riders, so they contain mostly us (the obligatory
couple) posed in front of mongo cactus, etc. Perhaps I'll try to hunt down
a couple that at least show the hills surrounding the town, as that's where
the trails are.

I suspect the terrain is not unlike venues in SoCal or the drier areas of
Utah or Texas, not that I've ridden there. Interesting that we hit it
during the wetter season, and after a long period of cloudy, cool and wet
weather. Still arid and parched by our standards, but various cactii were
blooming and it was very pretty if you took a close look around.

Cheers
Gary (W)

Old February 14th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Mamba wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
[...]

A couple of pictures of the hills would be great.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 20th 07, 06:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

Mamba wrote:
Perhaps I'll try to hunt down
a couple that at least show the hills surrounding the town, as that's where
the trails are.

Let me help. These are almost a year old now. I didn't ride
but we spent the day hanging with my buddy who lives down
there now (we used to poach Tam together, he was on his Ibis
SS (geared bike) and I was on my Bridgestone MB3, "back in the
day").

On the beach on the North end of town.
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk2.jpg

View from the beach to my bussy's house in the hills above Los
Barilles:
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk1.jpg

View of Los Barilles from my buddy's deck:
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk3.jpg

He claims that there is some great riding in the area but
sadly I wasn't able to sample any of it.
Old February 20th 07, 08:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

pete fagerlin wrote:
Mamba wrote:
Perhaps I'll try to hunt down a couple that at least show the hills
surrounding the town, as that's where the trails are.

Let me help. These are almost a year old now. I didn't ride but we spent
the day hanging with my buddy who lives down there now (we used to poach
Tam together, he was on his Ibis SS (geared bike) and I was on my
Bridgestone MB3, "back in the day").

On the beach on the North end of town.
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk2.jpg

View from the beach to my bussy's house in the hills above Los Barilles:
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk1.jpg

Now that's a McMansion!

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
Old February 20th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"pete fagerlin" wrote in message
. ..
Mamba wrote:
Perhaps I'll try to hunt down a couple that at least show the hills
surrounding the town, as that's where the trails are.

snip reminders of rustic town and beautiful beach ... sigh

Need to meet your buddy ;-) We are already trying to plan a return trip.
Although we are mainly focused on windsurfing there, the wind is often light
or uncooperative in other ways. Having great trails nearby removes the
"skunk" factor from trips like this.

Old February 20th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Feb 20, 12:26 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
Although we are mainly focused on windsurfing there, the wind is often light
or uncooperative in other ways. Having great trails nearby removes the
"skunk" factor from trips like this.

Do they have any kiteboarding there? If I can ride, windsurf &
kiteboard there I'll start the vacation fund right now, with the jar
on my office bookcase and the money in my pockets at the moment. In
fact, I'm off to see just how long of a flight that is, and what it'd
set us back in airfare.

Old February 20th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

G.T. wrote:

On the beach on the North end of town.
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk2.jpg

View from the beach to my bussy's house in the hills above Los Barilles:
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk1.jpg

Now that's a McMansion!

We must have drastically different views of the definition of
"McMansion" then.

This is the way that I've heard it used:

"McMansion is a slang architectural term which first came into
use in the United States during the 1980s as a pejorative
description and an idiom. It describes a particular style of
housing that—as its name suggests—is both large like a mansion
and as culturally ubiquitous as McDonald's fast food restaurants.

In addition to ubiquity, almost every reason to poke fun at
McDonald's has been applied metaphorically to "McMansions".
These criticisms include the deviation from traditional local
or regional architectural style, a gaudy, sterile,
mass-produced appearance, and perceived negative effects on
nature and neighborhoods."