Flying Scotsman The Graeme Obree Story

Old December 13th 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tam

Default Flying Scotsman The Graeme Obree Story

Hi all
Just been to the second hand bookshop today browsing the shelves I found
Graeme Obrees autobiography after reading chapter one I thought-better buy
it.
What a rollercoaster of a read it is- I have just read the first 4 chapters
a rather harrowing account of his early life.
I am starting his chapter Spain and beyond.
There is a massive difference between the book and the film.
I found the film did not reveal much about the man-this is certainly not
true of the book.
I can see how he antagonised many people--he certainly spoke his mind.
Curiously the film was lacking in beautiful scenery I would have thought his
excursions along the Ayreshire shore and into the Lomond area were a gift
for stunning cinematic backgrounds.
Tam

Old December 13th 07, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton

On Dec 14, 2:38 am, "tam" wrote:

What a rollercoaster of a read it is- I have just read the first 4 chapters
a rather harrowing account of his early life.
I am starting his chapter Spain and beyond.
There is a massive difference between the book and the film.
I found the film did not reveal much about the man-this is certainly not
true of the book.

Yep, the film was awful I thought whereas the book was a very
worthwhile read.

One hell of a guy.

If you haven't read it yet then I'd suggest "A Peipers Tale" by Alan
Peiper too. A brutally honest book.

--
Nige Danton
Old December 14th 07, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Dec 13, 11:24�pm, Nige Danton wrote:
On Dec 14, 2:38 am, "tam" wrote:

What a rollercoaster of a read it is- I have just read the first 4 chapters
a rather harrowing account of his early life.
I am starting his chapter Spain and beyond.
There is a massive difference between the book and the film.
I found the film did not reveal much about the man-this is certainly not
true of the book.

Yep, the film was awful I thought whereas the book was a very
worthwhile read.

One hell of a guy.

If you haven't read it yet then I'd suggest "A Peipers Tale" by Alan
Peiper too. A brutally honest book.

--
Nige Danton

I thought the film was okay.....up to a point, but were his demons
really touched on? This part of Graeme's life was pretty much ignored
if you ask me.
A decent enough portrait for me..........recommended.
Old December 14th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tam

"Nige Danton" wrote in message
On Dec 14, 2:38 am, "tam" wrote:

What a rollercoaster of a read it is- I have just read the first 4
chapters
a rather harrowing account of his early life.
I am starting his chapter Spain and beyond.
There is a massive difference between the book and the film.
I found the film did not reveal much about the man-this is certainly not
true of the book.

Yep, the film was awful I thought whereas the book was a very
worthwhile read.

One hell of a guy.

If you haven't read it yet then I'd suggest "A Peipers Tale" by Alan
Peiper too. A brutally honest book.

--

I will add it to presents to myself at christmas.
Thanks Tam

Old December 14th 07, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton

On Dec 14, 8:24 am, wrote:
I thought the film was okay.....up to a point, but were his demons
really touched on? This part of Graeme's life was pretty much ignored
if you ask me.

Yep, the background to his suicidal tendancies wasn't touched on at
all really. I thought it (the film) was way too superficial a
treatment of him both as a cyclist and a person.

Difficult to make that type of movie though.

--
Nige Danton
Old December 14th 07, 02:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton

On Dec 14, 8:51 am, "tam" wrote:

I will add it to presents to myself at christmas.
Thanks Tam

If you are going to buy yourself some presents then maybe check out
The Hour by Michael Hutchinson too.

I thought it was really good (confession: I unintentionally read it at
one sitting...)

--
Nige Danton
Old December 14th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:11:43 -0800 (PST), Nige Danton
wrote:

On Dec 14, 8:51 am, "tam" wrote:

I will add it to presents to myself at christmas.
Thanks Tam

If you are going to buy yourself some presents then maybe check out
The Hour by Michael Hutchinson too.

I thought it was really good (confession: I unintentionally read it at
one sitting...)

How long did it take you?

--

Tim

Old December 14th 07, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton

On Dec 14, 5:01 pm, Tim Hall wrote:

How long did it take you?

About three or fours hours from memory.

The "unintentionally" was more that I picked it up to glance at it
when I *really* should have been doing something else.

Have you read it?

--
Nige Danton
Old December 14th 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article , tam
wrote:
I can see how he antagonised many people--he certainly spoke his
mind.

I remember him talking to a crowd of schoolkids in Ardrossan and
telling them that there were no unemployed in Britain but there were
a lot of jobseekers.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old December 14th 07, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.C.P.Crawshaw

tam wrote:

Just been to the second hand bookshop today browsing the shelves I found
Graeme Obrees autobiography after reading chapter one I thought-better buy
it.

Thanks for the idea, it'll make a good extra Christmas present for t'missus. And when
she's finished with it, I can read it

Alan

Graeme Obree D.M. Procida UK 6 October 16th 08 10:30 AM
The Flying Scotsman Don Whybrow UK 1 October 1st 06 04:18 PM
Flying Scotsman - The Graeme Obree Story [email protected] Racing 1 February 21st 05 04:39 PM
Heads Up - Graeme Obree BBC1 Andrew Moray UK 16 January 27th 05 09:33 PM
Cycling Weekly: Graeme Obree book excerpts part 2 Sue Rogers UK 16 September 27th 03 10:14 AM