How do I remove brake hoods?

Old April 7th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How do I remove brake hoods?

Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
is"?

I have the Modolo style where the cables come out and lie along the
handlebar instead of anything coming out the top of the handle
assembly, if this matters.

I've built up my own wheels, etc, but have never done this nor seen it
done, so sorry for the dumb question.

Pureheart
Aptos, CA
Old April 9th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 3:18 pm, (Donald Gillies) wrote:
writes:
Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
is"?

It probably depends on what make/model of brakes (newer ones might be
different), but for vintage brakes, say pre-1990, removing the brake
levers from the bars is least likely to damage the hoods.

soap the lever and the hood, then gently pull the hood fully onto the
brake lever from the backside, letting the hood's little pointy-area
fold backwards as it presses against the leading edge of the lever.
Then quickly pull the pointy area over the leading edge of the lever -
done.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

Okay, thanks for the tip. I was not looking forward to removing them,
but then, I need new handlebar tape/cork anyway.
pH
Old April 9th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 7, 2:26 pm, wrote:
Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
is"?

I have the Modolo style where the cables come out and lie along the
handlebar instead of anything coming out the top of the handle
assembly, if this matters.

I've built up my own wheels, etc, but have never done this nor seen it
done, so sorry for the dumb question.

Pureheart
Aptos, CA

Older levers, yeah, take them off the bar and change them from the
clamp side.

Current Campy ergos, OTOH, have very strong, stretchy hoods that can
be easily changed by stretching them over the front of the lever. The
whole time, you'll be thinking, they're gonna rip, they're gonna rip,
but they haven't yet for me.

How do I get the brake hoods flat? [email protected] Techniques 10 September 4th 07 08:01 PM
Bleaching brake hoods JG Techniques 10 August 23rd 07 01:57 AM
Restoring gum brake hoods Jee Chung Techniques 3 December 21st 04 09:08 PM
Brake lever hoods for Campy Super Record brake levers still available? Boyd Speerschneider Techniques 6 October 9th 03 03:29 PM
WTB Dura Ace BR 7400 Aero Brake Hoods and Brake Shoes Anthony Butler Marketplace 2 August 12th 03 03:36 AM