When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

Old August 19th 03, 03:09 AM
R. Daniels

Default When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

My tandem partner's grand-daughter is three years old. Is it better to
ride a tricycle or a bike with training wheels until the child is
ready to tackle a two wheeler? When is the best time to teach a child
to balance?

Robert Daniels

Old August 19th 03, 04:36 AM

Robert Daniels writes:

Is it better to ride a tricycle or a bike with training wheels until
the child is ready to tackle a two wheeler? When is the best time to
teach a child to balance?

Riding a tricycle is a special skill if the child is assertive and
wants to ride fast. It's a good introduction to vehicle dynamics.
Bicycling has a different control mode because it requires balance,
something only the fast tricyclists notice as they speed around
corners leaning into the turn.

At about three and then some, children are probably ready for a
bicycle if they are tall enough. Super small bicycles are hard to
balance because they have so little tip-over moment. Whatever you do,
don't make an unstable tricycle of a bicycle. When the time is right,
take a couple of ten minute outings with the child on the bicycle.
Hold the bicycle from the saddle to help balance and don't let the
child know when and if you let go.

Jobst Brandt

Palo Alto CA
Old August 19th 03, 03:48 PM
EZ

I taught my daughter ride a "two wheeler" at six. Shortly thereafter,
my son managed it at four. I got lots of exercise running around the
street in front of the house holding the back of the seat. Kids can do
more than most parents think. It generally only takes patience and a
lttle help. Come to think of it, I respond pretty well to patience and
a little help too.
Old August 19th 03, 06:54 PM
one of the six billion

I've seen 3 1/2 yr olds ride a bike without training wheels. Most usually
kids learn between 4 and 7. A really good way to teach a child to balance
on a bike is to take the pedals off and lower the seat so that both feet
can touch flat on the ground. Let them scoot around using their feet on
the ground.

news

Old August 19th 03, 07:11 PM
amh

(Papayahed1) wrote in message ...
R. Daniels at
wrote on 8/18/03 10:09 PM:

My tandem partner's grand-daughter is three years old. Is it better to
ride a tricycle or a bike with training wheels until the child is
ready to tackle a two wheeler? When is the best time to teach a child
to balance?

Hi Robert-
The last thing you're partner should do is try to "teach" him to balance when
he is neurologically not ready yet. I'm sure there must be some kids out there
who are ready at age 3 (I've never seen them tho), but most kids are motivated
and able to accomplish this at age 5 or so. The one thing you don't want to do
is to push him into it and make him fearful.

Stick with the three wheeler, preferably something low and stable. The motion
from accelerating, turning, etc. actually helps build the neural pathways
through the vestibular system that will enable him to balance well later on.

I did buy my son a "razor" scooter when he was 4. He kind of enjoyed that. He
learned to ride a two wheeler around age 5 1/2. He is now doing 20-30 milers
on bike trails. For club-type rides we use a trail-a-long.

The child will "tell" his Grandparent when he is ready.

Can't give a firm age either but I agree that the child will know he
is ready.

I rode a scooter around and graduated to a training wheel bike when I
was ready. I was a year or so older than most kids who learned to ride
a training wheel bike. I've come a long way in the 30 or so years
since then including a number of centuries, a few bike tours, a dozen
triathlons and biking to work on non rainy days.

Neither of my parents were cycling enthusiasts (my Dad didn't ride a
bike) so I don't know where I developed the love for cycling I have.
Sometimes the more a child is pushed the more they resist.

my $0.02
Andy
Old August 20th 03, 02:56 AM
Chuck Anderson

one of the six billion wrote:

I've seen 3 1/2 yr olds ride a bike without training wheels. Most usually
kids learn between 4 and 7. A really good way to teach a child to balance
on a bike is to take the pedals off and lower the seat so that both feet
can touch flat on the ground. Let them scoot around using their feet on
the ground.

"R. Daniels" wrote in message
news

My tandem partner's grand-daughter is three years old. Is it better to
ride a tricycle or a bike with training wheels until the child is
ready to tackle a two wheeler? When is the best time to teach a child
to balance?

Robert Daniels

I have heard this before, but never hear anyway attest to its effectiveness.

Does it really work?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old August 20th 03, 03:09 AM
Peter

Chuck Anderson wrote:
one of the six billion wrote:

I've seen 3 1/2 yr olds ride a bike without training wheels. Most
usually
kids learn between 4 and 7. A really good way to teach a child to
balance
on a bike is to take the pedals off and lower the seat so that both feet
can touch flat on the ground. Let them scoot around using their feet on
the ground.

I have heard this before, but never hear anyway attest to its
effectiveness.

Does it really work?

It's what I did to teach our daughter when she turned 4. Took her and the
bike to our workplace parking lot on a weekend (big expanse of pavement
with very gently slope and no traffic), took the pedals off and lowered the
seat so she could coast and scoot around without fear of falling. After
less than an hour I put the pedals back on and she was off and riding. No
falls, no scrapes, and no need to run alongside.

If only teaching her to drive had gone as smoothly.

Old August 20th 03, 11:49 PM
Bruce Gilbert

"Martha J. Retallick" wrote in message
True confession: I didn't master riding a two-wheeler until I was 10
years old. And my folks started teaching me to ride when I was in
second grade.

But I grew up to become a bicycling addict g.

Martha Retallick

My daughter didn't ride a real bike until she was nearly ten also.

By 11 she got her first road bike, took to the sport and competed at a high
level until she was 18. Then her friends, parties and other indulgences got
the best of her. The cycling took a back seat to things that make your eyes
red in the morning. At 19 1/2 she is starting to ride again. Just can't
believe how much fitness she lost. Somehow, I think it is going to come
back...

Hopeful Parent