cooling down after workout

Old March 9th 05, 10:27 PM
chris c

Default cooling down after workout

Is cooling down necessary on a stationary bike? Road bike? If so , how long?
Thanks

Old March 10th 05, 02:02 AM
Mike Kruger

"chris c" wrote in message
Is cooling down necessary on a stationary bike? Road bike?

If so , how long?
Thanks

Cooling down is just as necessary -- or unnecessary -- on a
bicycle as for any other exercise. An old rule of thumb is
that your heart rate should be down below 120 before you get
stopped.

There's no particularly problem with this for recreational
cycling, unless you insist on running a final sprint right
into your garage.

Old March 10th 05, 05:58 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:02:01 -0600,
1110419903.3e1cfc714bc932597f8df6c89cb41e2e@teran ews,
"Mike Kruger" wrote:

Cooling down is just as necessary -- or unnecessary -- on a
bicycle as for any other exercise. An old rule of thumb is
that your heart rate should be down below 120 before you get
stopped.

There's no particularly problem with this for recreational
cycling, unless you insist on running a final sprint right
into your garage.

That's what I was doing when I first got the cyclometer. I wanted a
higher average speed reading. Once the novelty wore off, I got back
into coasting the last 2.5 km home. . . unless I'm spinning out on a
fixie.
--
zk
Old March 10th 05, 06:18 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

There's no particularly problem with this for recreational
cycling, unless you insist on running a final sprint right
into your garage.

Huh? Who would lay off the gas just short of the finish line? :)

The trick is to find exactly where your garage door opener will first get
triggered, and work it out so that you come to a full stop just short of the
freezer at the far end. Best if your wife doesn't suddenly change her
routine and start parking a car in the garage.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
news:1110419903.3e1cfc714bc932597f8df6c89cb41e2e@t eranews...

Old March 10th 05, 08:21 PM
Rangersfan

"chris c" wrote in message
Is cooling down necessary on a stationary bike? Road bike? If so , how
long?
Thanks

You should cool down, especially if you are working out intensely. Lower
the resistance to about half (or go to a lower gear on a non-stationary
bike) and continue pedaling for 3-4 minutes. The cool down will help remove
the by-products which build up in your muscles during hard workouts.

Indoor Workout question Phil General 7 November 18th 04 01:31 PM
Cycling Cadence and Running Stride Rate Tony Racing 48 July 13th 04 07:00 AM
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood Mikefule Unicycling 7 July 5th 04 04:06 PM
Better workout on spin bike or road bike? John H. Power General 19 May 26th 04 05:02 PM