Moron cyclist causes traffic jam

Old May 11th 18, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Moron cyclist causes traffic jam

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/
Old May 11th 18, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/05/18 20:08, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

Slop.
Old May 11th 18, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 9:08:18 AM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

Or maybe if the moron moronist hadn't tried to bull his way through on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic this would not have happened.
Old May 11th 18, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 9:08:18 AM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

Why is a motorists first reaction is to threaten severe injury or death to anyone who gets in their way?
If you threatened that sort of violence in any other situation you would go to prison for many years.
Old May 11th 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/05/18 09:08, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

If it caused a blockage of motor vehicles how come anybody noticed
anything unusual?

Looks like
https://goo.gl/maps/kzMrcWSijRv
Old May 11th 18, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/05/18 09:08, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

If it caused a blockage of motor vehicles how come anybody noticed
anything unusual?

Looks like
https://goo.gl/maps/kzMrcWSijRv

Yes, it does appear the initial problem is with motorists thinking they have a 'right' to store their personal possessions on a public highway followed by an arrogant motorist thinking they had priority over a road user who was there by right rather than under licence.

If the SRU was using a SUV this would not happen.

Old May 11th 18, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 2:37:20 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

Yes, it does appear the initial problem is with motorists thinking they have a 'right' to store their personal possessions on a public highway followed by an arrogant motorist thinking they had priority over a road user who was there by right rather than under licence.

If the SRU was using a SUV this would not happen.

These morons were so stupid as to think that they could outrun cheetahs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fari-park.html
Old May 11th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 3:20:03 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 2:37:20 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

Yes, it does appear the initial problem is with motorists thinking they have a 'right' to store their personal possessions on a public highway followed by an arrogant motorist thinking they had priority over a road user who was there by right rather than under licence.

If the SRU was using a SUV this would not happen.

These morons were so stupid as to think that they could outrun cheetahs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fari-park.html

If they had worn cycle helmets they would be in no danger.

Old May 11th 18, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/05/18 14:37, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/05/18 09:08, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

If it caused a blockage of motor vehicles how come anybody noticed
anything unusual?

Looks like https://goo.gl/maps/kzMrcWSijRv

Yes, it does appear the initial problem is with motorists thinking
they have a 'right' to store their personal possessions on a public
highway followed by an arrogant motorist thinking they had priority
over a road user who was there by right rather than under licence.

We certainly are in a strange culture when confrontations due to the
abandoned vehicles have everything to do with those wishing to pass and
nothing to do with the abandoners.

If the SRU was using a SUV this would not happen.

In my experience on a bike, parked cars on my rhs are a particular
problem when meeting oncoming drivers. A road can easily be wide enough
for both of us but some drivers pull so far over they leave the clear
channel between them and the parked cars, not between them and my kerb.
Can be scary when moments earlier there was no reason not to commit.

That particular one looks like a problem because the overhead view shows
the road starts wide where the driver entered but necks down where the
rider was stopped. Doesn't look like a brilliant idea of Oxford CC to
extend the parking space to that point.
Old May 13th 18, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 11/05/2018 14:37, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 1:59:30 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/05/18 09:08, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/625980...d-traffic-jam/

If it caused a blockage of motor vehicles how come anybody noticed
anything unusual?

Looks like
https://goo.gl/maps/kzMrcWSijRv

Yes, it does appear the initial problem is with motorists thinking they have a 'right' to store their personal possessions on a public highway followed by an arrogant motorist thinking they had priority over a road user who was there by right rather than under licence.

If the SRU was using a SUV this would not happen.

Yes the motorist was at fault initially .

However we all muck-up and a "sorry chief" from the driver or 'a shaken
head and a haughty look' from the cyclist is all that is required to see
motorist chastised and traffic still flowing. But to block the highway
for six minutes, I am afraid the cyclist loses all 'high ground'.

Lot easier for the bike to shuffle two feet to the left than that car
to try and reverse between those parked cars and the curb.

Yes I have tried to drive through a gap which has turned out narrower
that I thought or the oncoming traffic was faster than I thought.
In every case a sheepish look and a shrugged shoulders (saying sorry)
does the trick and there has been no significant tail back or accidents.
And yes I did wish at times, even when in the right, (trying tio guard
the mirrors or oncoming traffic is a lot more confident than you of
getting these two cars through that gap) I could get out and bodily lift
the car two feet one way .

I am a cyclist and driver and yes it annoys me too when on the bike if
a driver treats the road as their own feifdom. But his ton of metal
which can easily top 100 mph is far stronger than your thirty pound bike
that (downhill and with a good wind behind you) can maybe top 40 MPH.
And there are times when you have to be pragmatic and let them away
with a "oi knohead" in their ears rather than holding everyone up.