advice on ROTOR crankset

Old September 8th 05, 12:36 AM
RW

Default advice on ROTOR crankset

Hi all: Since I've been into bent riding, I've experienced some knee
pain. I've purchased pedal extensions which seem to help the problem,
I have set my pedaling length setting so that my leg is fully extended
when my heel touches the pedal. When the middle of my foot is in
contact, I have a slight bend at the knee. I ride with clip-in
shoes/pedals. Has anyone experienced knee knee problems? Does this
new ROTOR SYSTEM offer any answers to knee issues for bent riders? A
very pricey system, but may be worth it if it will allow me to
continue in the sport.... assuming it works. Thanks
Old September 8th 05, 01:56 AM
Mark Leuck

"RW" wrote in message
Hi all: Since I've been into bent riding, I've experienced some knee
pain. I've purchased pedal extensions which seem to help the problem,
I have set my pedaling length setting so that my leg is fully extended
when my heel touches the pedal. When the middle of my foot is in
contact, I have a slight bend at the knee. I ride with clip-in
shoes/pedals. Has anyone experienced knee knee problems? Does this
new ROTOR SYSTEM offer any answers to knee issues for bent riders? A
very pricey system, but may be worth it if it will allow me to
continue in the sport.... assuming it works. Thanks

Saw two guys with Rotors at BROL last weekend, they loved em

Old September 8th 05, 02:03 PM
Jeff Grippe

What are PowerGrips?

I gave up on pedal systems and just stick with good old toe clips but I'd
enjoy learning about anything that improves my riding.

Jeff
"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:36:23 -0400, RW wrote:

Hi all: Since I've been into bent riding, I've experienced some knee
pain. I've purchased pedal extensions which seem to help the problem,
I have set my pedaling length setting so that my leg is fully extended
when my heel touches the pedal. When the middle of my foot is in
contact, I have a slight bend at the knee. I ride with clip-in
shoes/pedals. Has anyone experienced knee knee problems? Does this
new ROTOR SYSTEM offer any answers to knee issues for bent riders? A
very pricey system, but may be worth it if it will allow me to
continue in the sport.... assuming it works. Thanks

I'm not familiar with the ROTOR SYSTEM, but I thought that my SPD
style clips were causing a little knee discomfort. It troubled me
enought that I went to PowerGrips for the 230 mile local tour I did
last week.

For me the problem seems to be not enough float witht the particular
system I was using. ALso I'm not keen on needing special shoes for my
riding. Wearing a size 14 shoe I found toe clips to be too short for
me to get far enough into. The PowerGrips seems a workable compromise
for me, no more knee pain at least.

Indiana Mike

Old September 9th 05, 06:11 PM
bent cybrarian

Mike Rice wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:03:28 -0400, "Jeff Grippe"
wrote:

What are PowerGrips?

I gave up on pedal systems and just stick with good old toe clips but I'd
enjoy learning about anything that improves my riding.

Jeff

Excuse me, that should have read Power Grips. I always get confused as
to whether it is one word or two, but a quick search corrects me every
time.

They are a strap system, attaching to the pedal on a diagonal. The fot
enters from the outside and the straps tighten up as the foot assumes
normal riding position. They can be ordered, I believe, from Bike
Nashbar as well as other suppliers, maybe the good ol' LBS would have
some in stock.

For more info and a good picture go to:

http://powergrips.com/

I would be happy with toe clips, but as I stated below my somewhat
larger than average peds don't fit comfortably inside any I have
found. The open strap of the Power Grips lets me ride comfortably.

Mind you I have only one week's experience with the P G system, but I
remember that nagging feeling that knees were about to ache. The one
week with the PG's I rode two or three times ny normal (on the good
days) distances with no nagging knees.

Indiana Mike

PS- I can't really say the Grips are an improvement over toe clips
unless your feet are as long as mine.

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dear Mike,

If you have knee problems you might try Speedplay Frog pedals.
They have a decent size platform and a large amount of float. They are
also easy to get in an out of. Expensive if you buy new but sometimes
available used.

John from Tucson

Old September 10th 05, 02:48 AM
RW

wrote:

[...]

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

John: Thanks for the tips. Can you explain the idea of lateral
'float' ? How does this help knee pain? How does knee pain in bent
riding come about, and what are the different ways to try to
eliminate knee pain? Only my left knee gives me problems, and it's on
the medial aspect of the knee. I currently ride with Shimano SPD
shoes/pedals. I found that my left foot was slightly toe in/ heel
out. I changed the cleat setting to straighten this out, so we'll see
if that might have been the culprit. I also purchased 30mm pedal
extensions, and I think that has helped. Would I be better off with
these Speedplay Frog pedals?? Can the pedals be used with SPD shoes?
If so, can you walk on them without problems? My current setup walks
nicely, but I find them a bear to lock in at times. I have shimano
pedals with a cleat on one side and a 'normal' pedal on the other
face. I'll bet you can tell I'm a beginner at bike vernacular
I've been riding quite a lot this season, and I'd hate to be
unwittingly injuring my knee needlessly, for lack of good information.
RON W

Old September 12th 05, 06:01 PM
bent cybrarian

wrote:

[...]

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ron,
The Frogs let you keep your knees in the position they fall into
naturally. Unless your feet point directly in front of you and stay
parallel when you walk putting on toe clips or using cleats set to keep
your feet parallel to the bike can cause knee pain. In my experience
this side loading as I call it causes irritation and pain in knee.
Using the Frogs coupled with spinning at 80+ cadence I haven't had
problems for years. And yes many spd shoes can use frogs with an
adapter. I use cheap Carnac touring shoes and can walk much better than
using my old Look road pedals/shoes.
'John

Old September 12th 05, 06:42 PM
Jeff Grippe

I looked at the Frogs. One of the things that I didn't like (which is
something I don't like about all of the pedal systems) is the small surface
area where foot meets pedal.

Has anyone ever come up with a locking system that has a larger surface are
for foot and pedal?

I imagine that such a thing would be difficult to get out of.

Jeff
"bent cybrarian" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old September 12th 05, 09:07 PM
Dan B.

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I looked at the Frogs. One of the things that I didn't like (which is
something I don't like about all of the pedal systems) is the small surface
area where foot meets pedal.

Has anyone ever come up with a locking system that has a larger surface are
for foot and pedal?

I imagine that such a thing would be difficult to get out of.

Jeff

Jeff,

Have you looked at the Mallet pedals from Crank Brothers? I haven't
used them myself; I use the smaller Candy version on my bike. However,
the Mallets look like they'd provide a fairly large contact area for
the foot.

I went with the Candy pedals instead of the more traditional Eggbeaters
for the same reason; I like having a larger platform, so I can pedal
fairly readily even when not clipped in.

Best,

Dan

Old September 13th 05, 09:37 PM
BentMan4God

Also look at the BeBop pedals. These have a larger platform than the
Frogs, have great float, are very light, and I love them. Have used
the Frogs before but one of the cleats broke while on tour and the
pedals were then useless.

Peter