Choice to make on forkage (not "which fork")

Old May 3rd 05, 12:37 PM
Coyoteboy

Default Choice to make on forkage (not "which fork")

I've got a set of old zokes air forks (need some TLC but work), some
zokes BLTs (work fine but arent great) and my original rigids.

I'm running them on my old XC frame as a commuter and maybe an XC
training machine, most of the time i run my 5 inch full sus but that is
hard enough work for me to not bother going out on it except for
extreme rides. Im not not sure I can deal with the shame of the zokes
forks . To add insult to injury if I want to switch back to rigid on
it i have to buy a new threaded headset as my old one rotted away

So my question to you all is:

Zokes air, find some spacers and a pump and ride with the shame
Zokes BLT, find new headset and ride with the shame
Rigid, find new headset and have my crackers rattled off but look
gnarly

James

Old May 3rd 05, 12:46 PM
AndyC

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got a set of old zokes air forks (need some TLC but work), some
zokes BLTs (work fine but arent great) and my original rigids.

I'm running them on my old XC frame as a commuter and maybe an XC
training machine, most of the time i run my 5 inch full sus but that is
hard enough work for me to not bother going out on it except for
extreme rides. Im not not sure I can deal with the shame of the zokes
forks . To add insult to injury if I want to switch back to rigid on
it i have to buy a new threaded headset as my old one rotted away

So my question to you all is:

Zokes air, find some spacers and a pump and ride with the shame
Zokes BLT, find new headset and ride with the shame
Rigid, find new headset and have my crackers rattled off but look
gnarly

James

I'd go rigid... (as it were).

If it's not your main bike, then you get the proper retro training thing
(i.e. it's more technical, and you get the looks from people on softer
bikes).

And if you're commuting on it, I presume on road, then you'll enjoy it all
the more.

I've got an old Giant frame (Giant in every sense) and I converted it to
rigid for "old skool" and road work. Got the threaded 1&1/8 steerer from
Ebay for 99p (that's cheap that is!) - fitted fine and away I've gone!

AndyC

Old May 3rd 05, 01:02 PM
Coyoteboy

OK, thats good, glad someone else agrees with my 'inner thoughts' lol.
I'm off to find a headset
Kinda looking forward to feeling a rigid again, in a purely
cycle-related context
Cheers

Old May 3rd 05, 01:28 PM
AndyC

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, thats good, glad someone else agrees with my 'inner thoughts' lol.
I'm off to find a headset
Kinda looking forward to feeling a rigid again, in a purely
cycle-related context
Cheers

To add to this..
A friend and I were doing the Syfydrin trail in mid-Wales this last weekend.
It's quite a trail (I'll post a RR later).
Link: http://www.mbwales.com/nant_y_arian/maps.htm

Anyway, I was on my Heckler and he road a fully rigid Cannondale (as he
always does) across some pretty hardcore tracks and trails.
All credit to him, and the ability of the bike, reckon he had a different
experience to me though!

AndyC

Old May 5th 05, 12:12 PM
Coyoteboy

wow, im glad i went rigid, 34 miles a day is harder than i remember lol

How FAST does a rigid bike feel on 60psi slicks?!

Old May 5th 05, 02:15 PM
AndyC

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
wow, im glad i went rigid, 34 miles a day is harder than i remember lol

How FAST does a rigid bike feel on 60psi slicks?!

On a flat, cruising with no wind mid/high twenties isn't unrealistic (well
for me!).
OK until you hit a pot-hole really - I still wince thinking the whole bike
is going to snap!
I noticed that the real benefit was on the hills, as in saddle rollon is
fantastic.

Oh, and the mate's cannondale that went of round Wales...
http://tinyurl.com/a76be

It's such a nice (read: retro) bike, he'll never add forks to it...

AndyC

Old May 5th 05, 03:39 PM
Coyoteboy

i must have been averaging low 20s as i managed an overall average of
approx 15mph including loads of lights stops and a couple of major
uphill sections i never realised were so hard when in the car lol.

i know what you mean though, serious vibration-white-finger (or
white-all-sorts!) by the end of the trip.

Thats a nice rigid beast your mate has, my mate had a similar one on
the cad 5? frameset, he used to whoop my ass uphill. Couldnt for the
life of me use if offroad im sure. im used to my coil/oil loveliness