brake pads too low

Old September 18th 10, 12:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

Default brake pads too low

I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture on http://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.
Old September 18th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 9/18/2010 6:06 AM, Mark Runacres wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture on http://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Is it possible that someone swapped out the original ISO 622-mm (700C)
wheels for ISO 630-mm (27-inch) wheels?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 18th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/18/2010 07:06 AM, mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture on http://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

What size are the rims? Are you sure that the rims are original? One
explanation could be that someone put 27" rims on a bike that originally
came with 700c. (even though typically everyone goes the other way...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 18th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

On 18 sep, 15:27, Nate Nagel wrote:

What size are the rims? *Are you sure that the rims are original? *One
explanation could be that someone put 27" rims on a bike that originally
came with 700c. *(even though typically everyone goes the other way...)

The rims are 700 (Wolber TX profil). I checked with another 700 front
wheel and the pads are too low on that rim too.

Regards,

Mark
Old September 18th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 18, 6:06*am, mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture onhttp://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Looks like a regular reach caliper was used where a short reach model
was in order. Not a big deal. Replace or live with it if the braking
is satisfactory. Short reach brakes are 40-50mm from center bolt to
pad center. Standard is 47-57mm.

Shouldn't be hard at all to find a visually appropriate center pivot
brake. Your LBS might have one in the parts bucket.

Old September 18th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture on http://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Wrong length caliper; it's 500 you need a 450.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 18th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 18, 5:06*am, mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture onhttp://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Just to provide some food food thought -
You might be able to rig something that provides the opposite function
of what is shown he

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dpdropbolt.html

That is not to say that it would be easy or practical.
DR
Old September 19th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 18 Sep, 12:06, mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture onhttp://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Can't really see how much of an error there is, but if it rides well,
leave it. If you intend to continue with that size tyre without
mudguards then you should really be looking for the shorter caliper.
You can drop the wheel axle slightly in the fork ends, you'll want to
stick in a pad of metal inside the fork end if you frequently need to
get the wheel in and out. Make sure that your wheel QR clamp is
fully engaged with the flats of the fork ends. Usually a little metal
may be removed from the caliper slots with a round file, just cut away
the area where contact has already been made by the brake block
bolt.
Old September 19th 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 18, 4:06 am, mark wrote:
I recently bought a road bike, presumably early 80s, with Dura-ace
brakes. The calipers appear to be too long, so the pads hit the rim
too low, even when they are mounted as high as possible in the
calipers. (Picture onhttp://tinyurl.com/34fg7hx). As far as I know,
these are the original calipers (levers have been changed). Is there a
way I can centre the pads on the rim? Thanks in advance.

Looking to spend a little money on this bike? (Shameless plug
alert... ) I still have these:

Old September 26th 10, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

On 19 sep, 01:32, thirty-six wrote:

You can drop the wheel axle slightly in the fork ends, you'll want to
stick in apadof metal inside the fork end if you frequently need to
get the wheel in and out. * Make sure that your wheel QR clamp is
fully engaged with the flats of the fork ends. *Usually a little metal
may be removed from the caliper slots with a round file, just cut away
the area where contact has already been made by thebrakeblock
bolt.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try this, while I look out for a shorter
caliper of the same model. (I'd like it to go with the rear caliper,
which works fine).

Regards,

Mark

brake pads .. ?? You know ?? Clyde Henpecker Rides 1 June 28th 09 08:20 AM
New brake pads BT Humble Australia 5 December 1st 06 01:43 AM
Brake pads... which ones? Moo Mountain Biking 0 August 16th 06 11:05 PM
Best V-brake pads? thumbie Techniques 4 December 17th 04 04:01 PM
Brake Pads Lee UK 8 February 18th 04 12:34 AM