So how was your Ride To Work Day?

Old October 6th 04, 10:35 AM
cfsmtb

Default So how was your Ride To Work Day?

Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

- Ride to work because it was an advertised BV event,
- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event,
- Got a bunch ride going via work/social contacts,
- Popped down to F(r)ed Square for free munchies & entertainment,
- Wanted to ride in but stuff got in the way or used the car/caugh
PT.
- Something else, please tell….

Ours started off with a trip down to Richmond Town Hall where Yarr
Council put on a Cyclists Brekkie & Brunswick Street Cycles had a stal
& work stand for minor repairs.

Partook in the usual social pleasantries by chatting away to loca
cyclists, council staff et al and did a well received presentation o
the Wonders of a AirZound2 (under the portico of the town hall, goo
acoustics!) Later cycled off to F(r)ed Square for a quick visit & cha
and then re-commenced ride to work.

Decided to take a short cut through Queen Vic Market, hit a tricky bi
of bluestone, tried to dab, but forgot one was clipped in. Duly fel
over & dented right knee. Ouch. Got to office, parked bike & starte
work as pod dweller.

Afternoon, happily reunited with bike, riding home up Queensberry
notice big plume of smoke up ahead. Get off bike, call partner, WTF? I
that near home? Yes, start riding home real fast; get to intersection o
Hoddle, fook, that’s really CLOSE. (Damn, freewheel is stuffing u
again, too tight after taking out spacer. Note, must go to LBS thi
weekend.) Get closer, phew, factory on corner of Mollison & Nicholson
Pedal along for a closer look, just like all the other resident
milling around. Hmm, spectacular. Get home, pat the cats & cuddle dawg
So, was your day as exciting as this? ;

--
cfsmtb

Old October 6th 04, 10:42 AM
Davidm

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

- Ride to work because it was an advertised BV event,

Rode to work in the rain and winds of (guess) 40kn, blowing the wrong way of
course, and because I don't live in Victoria I didn't get anyone offering me
a free breakfast :-)

Cheers
David M

Old October 6th 04, 11:00 AM
Gags

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

Rode in (as per usual) and went to Fed Square - scored free brekky, coffee,
T-shirt etc (I also ran into dutchy on the last run into town). I managed
to be in the right place at the right time and scored a clear pair of Euro
cycling glasses that had a $35 price tag on them from a guy who was giving
away a dozen or so pairs(pure luck).

On the way home at about 3.00pm on ss mountainbike, I was on the yarra trail
and near the Kew golf club I was cruising along, enjoying the nice weather
and not really looking where I was going.......I see something out of my
priferals (peripherals) and there is a tiger snake, approx 1.5m long across
the middle of the path and about 2 metres in front of me (I was prob doing
approx 30 km/h). I shat and did a bunny hop in record time and managed to
clear the snake (If anyone saw that dude on the trials bike this morning in
Fed Square doing the 1m high jump......I reckon that is about how high I
went!!!!). A quick look over the shoulder and the snake was high tailing it
for the grass. I wish I had my heart rate monitor on as I reckon the
increase would have been significant.

All in all, a great day for riding.

Ride On,

Gags

Old October 6th 04, 11:05 AM
aeek

- posted a notice last week to the intranet bulletin board
- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event,
- Popped down to Veterans Park for free munchies

it was ACT & Victoria, protonational.

Got to the breakfast just before it finished, so got to eat what wa
left with no constraints. Then did the other 2/3 of my ride to work.
In the afternoon I got to ride FOR work, just 10k total to/from th
Borland Diamondback preview.
Got back just in time to change and ride home light ablaze

--
aeek

Old October 6th 04, 12:32 PM
DaveB

Gags wrote:
On the way home at about 3.00pm on ss mountainbike, I was on the yarra trail
and near the Kew golf club I was cruising along, enjoying the nice weather
and not really looking where I was going.......I see something out of my
priferals (peripherals) and there is a tiger snake, approx 1.5m long across
the middle of the path

Oh crap, I was down there yesterday wondering how long till the snakes
come out. It's overdue for slashing in that section under the trees on
the city side of the bridge where Yarra Trail and Koonung trail split.
Wonder who's responsible for that, anyone know? I hate snakes, and can't
bunny hop to save my life, especially not with loaded panniers. Came
across 2 snakes last year and that was 2 too many for me.

DaveB

Old October 6th 04, 12:47 PM

"cfsmtb" == cfsmtb writes:

cfsmtb Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

Not much different to any other day really, except getting overtaken by
quite a few more cyclists in serious kit than normal (I'm not that fast
a rider) and one particular couple in his and her matching bikes / Lycra
who left me for dead.

Of course they didn't have panniers with change of clothing, laptop and
telephony toolkit. At least that's what I tell myself in an attempt to
feel slightly less inadequate :-)

Hats off to a colleague who commuted 45Kms each way today.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 6th 04, 01:28 PM
flyingdutch

Gags Wrote:

Rode in (as per usual) and went to Fed Square - scored free brekky
coffee,
T-shirt etc (I also ran into dutchy on the last run into town)...

... and there is a tiger snake, approx 1.5m long across
the middle of the path
Gags

Haha. funny sight seeing a tall lad sitting above furiously whirrin
legs
(get a bigger gear ya woos ).
Got the brekky ("drink that juice now, its got no preservatives!)
shirt and talked to quite a few faces and met others. At a guess ther
was somewhere between 1500-2500 there when i got in. I stayed fro
about 7am till 8am and as i headed off home (my 'commute' is no
officially from the bedroom to the studio . approx 20m roun
trip...) there was alot of people heading in. Was the first time i ha
spent any significant time there to stop and chat with all stands, et
so was interesting. Evil people displaying bikeporn, er Cannondale
(Six13, Cyclocross/roady w/discs, SS, badboys, etc ). The guy looked
bit miffed when i asked if they were giving them away

Poor snake. how's a lad supposed to get a tan so early in the season i
darned bikes are gonna ride on his nice warm sunbed?
I rode straight over one down near skippingGirl several years ago.
All over before i could figure out why that stick had squelched. sorr
:rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Old October 6th 04, 02:46 PM
aeek

fred_nieman Wrote:

It's spring, but today not a single magpie swoop (ie: that flesh and
feathers k'thwack against the right-back of your helmet) all along the
Gardiners Creek trail from Chadstone to Heyington, and the Yarra trail
from Burnley to Rushall Station. Thank you, magpies! (they must have
known it was RTWD... or something...)

Maybe they were exhausted from all the extra cyclists before you.

PS can you please fix your clock

--
aeek

Old October 6th 04, 11:00 PM
Dej

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

- Ride to work because it was an advertised BV event,
- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event,
- Got a bunch ride going via work/social contacts,
- Popped down to F(r)ed Square for free munchies & entertainment,
- Wanted to ride in but stuff got in the way or used the car/caught
PT.
- Something else, please tell..

rode down to fed square along riversdale / swan st..not too many cyclists
about but i dont normally take this long route to work.
got to fed sq about 7am? met up with some other guys from work, sat around
watching the trials guys drinking my green murky fruit drink..
i then had to head up to parkville and deliver some atb jerseys for fellow
workers. (and joined them for their ride to work brekky)
then rode out to work (in clayton)
so the 13km commute was really a 47km commute yesterday

was a good day, nice weather

Old October 6th 04, 11:58 PM
theGoat

cfsmtb Wrote:
[...]

Great ride in to work in the city in the morning.

**** ride home.

On the bike path along Yarra Blvd, crossing the rickety wooden sla
bridge rather than using the concrete footpath. Get to the end of th
brigde an see another cyclist coming straight at me on the wrong sid
of the path. He goes to his right (toward concrete path), then realise
he should be passing me on the other side so goes back to his left. M
seeing him going right tries to pass to his right and we collide hea
on, with me doing a Superman impersonation and landing on my chin. Fun

--
theGoat