Patches for punctures?

Old June 29th 05, 04:57 PM
Terry Collins

Default Patches for punctures?

aeek wrote:

My patching technique seems to deteriorated badly. I need a vulcanising
kit!

Unfortunately, you need a supply of fresh vulcanising patches as well.
Trying to use them (thornproof tube) after 20 years in stock wasn't very
successful. (wonders what I will dowith mythree vulcanising camps).

And I will point out that recently at my local 5 Start store, I scored a
bicycle repair kit that was a box of 36 patches. It was a flash in the
pan as there is only rubbish stuff now.

Old June 29th 05, 09:42 PM
Carl Brewer

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:51:09 +0800, Gumby
wrote:

Bleve wrote:
I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make up
for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

two dollars fifty per patch
one snakebite then costs you five bucks

Not with 700c wheels it doesn't, and my tires are inflated, so
I don't get many pinchflats

Besides, I didn't pay for them, I'm testing them for my LBS,
and they're the "weldtite" patches. I've also played with
the Park ones, also so far they have been good.

Old June 29th 05, 09:43 PM
Carl Brewer

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:27:15 +1000, "HUMBUG"
wrote:

On 29/06/05 at 17:53:39 Bleve somehow managed to type:

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make
up for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

Unless they've improved in the last couple of years the glueless
patches are only good until you get the time and enthusiasm together to
patch the sucker properly. Usually if you puncture the same tyre again
the first glueless patch will come off leaving you with two holes to
patch.

It doesn't seem to matter what tyres I use I usually end up with 3 or 4
flats / week.

3/4 flats a *week*?! I'd be unlucky to get that a month. What on
earth(!) are you riding on?

Old June 30th 05, 01:32 AM
HUMBUG

On 30/06/05 at 06:43:47 Carl Brewer somehow managed to type:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:27:15 +1000, "HUMBUG"
wrote:

snip

It doesn't seem to matter what tyres I use I usually end up with 3
or 4 flats / week.

3/4 flats a week?! I'd be unlucky to get that a month. What on
earth(!) are you riding on?

Just the normal stuff - lots of car litter.... I'm either on The Old
Grey Bike with Conti TT2k's or the Moulton with Nokian City Runner
tyres. It's been ever thus though, since my school days ( some months
back now ) I've been something of a puncture magnet and the rate hasn't
changed - it's always been a few a week. I do somewhere between 100 and
200km / week commuting, depending on where I'm working (either CBD or
Tulla airport from Essendon) plus around another hundred or so of
"social" riding. And yes I do take the time to pick the bits of glass
and stuff out of the tyres at least weekly.
I get more than my fair share of punctures with the car too - that
REALLY ****es me off. At least with the bike I can just leave 15 mins
early and have plenty of "puncture buffer"...:-)

--
Humbug

Old June 30th 05, 02:08 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:32:48 +1000, "HUMBUG"
wrote:

On 30/06/05 at 06:43:47 Carl Brewer somehow managed to type:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:27:15 +1000, "HUMBUG"
wrote:

snip

[...]

3-4 a week is not normal, I feel a bit peeved if I get a puncture
a month. How regularly are you replacing tyres? Are they inflated
enough? Are you getting pinch flats or glass/nails? I ride
300-700km/week depending on the racing season and I just don't
get anything like that sort of puncture rate.

Old June 30th 05, 08:34 AM
HUMBUG

On 30/06/05 at 11:08:28 Carl Brewer somehow managed to type:

snip

3-4 a week is not normal, I feel a bit peeved if I get a puncture
a month. How regularly are you replacing tyres? Are they inflated
enough? Are you getting pinch flats or glass/nails? I ride
300-700km/week depending on the racing season and I just don't
get anything like that sort of puncture rate.

It's nothing as mundane as crappy, worn out or under / over inflated
tyres - it's just glass, small nails and other debris, on one memorable
occasion a WOODEN golf tee. Both of my commute routes are real "glass
alleys" - especially the bits around major intersections.

It's probably worth noting that on a two or three week tour on The Old
Grey Bike I'd count myself dead unlucky if I get any punctures at all.
For me 1995 was a pretty savage Audax year - over 8,000km in Audax
rides alone (Woody 5000 in that year) and during all those Audax rides
I scored exactly NO punctures.

As I said - I get more than my fair share of car tyre punctures as
well. Much more than my share considering that I'd be lucky to do 300k
a month in it...

--
Humbug

Old June 30th 05, 03:41 PM
Gumby

wrote:

Bleve wrote:

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make up
for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

two dollars fifty per patch
one snakebite then costs you five bucks

Not with 700c wheels it doesn't, and my tires are inflated, so
I don't get many pinchflats

Besides, I didn't pay for them, I'm testing them for my LBS,
and they're the "weldtite" patches. I've also played with
the Park ones, also so far they have been good.

Do you go looking for broken glass, or those caltrop like double-gee
prickles? How do you know just when you're going to puncture? Dont
answer that.

Beta Version 0.7.6 weldtite tester
Looks good on a CV

Steven
busy writing one now, Word CV Wizard sucks bigtime WTF Objective? "Give
me the job and a better salary. Boomshanka"
Old July 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Resound

wrote:

On 29/06/05 at 17:53:39 Bleve somehow managed to type:

I've just started using glueless patches - they're more expensive
(~$2.50 per patch for the ones I'm testing for my LBS) but they make
up for the cost with speed and convenience of patch application! They
rock. Glue begone ...

Unless they've improved in the last couple of years the glueless
patches are only good until you get the time and enthusiasm together to
patch the sucker properly. Usually if you puncture the same tyre again
the first glueless patch will come off leaving you with two holes to
patch.

It doesn't seem to matter what tyres I use I usually end up with 3 or 4
flats / week.

3/4 flats a *week*?! I'd be unlucky to get that a month. What on
earth(!) are you riding on?

Um...I've had two punctures since November. Riding several times a week. It
may be down to the fact that I look at the ground as well as up the road and
dodge the bogan droppings and suchlike.

patches on patches Martin Dann UK 14 April 4th 05 02:29 PM
APure Herbal Needed for Vitiligo white patches who will help me to get rid of white patches from my skin [email protected] Unicycling 1 April 3rd 05 03:28 PM
APure Herbal Needed for Vitiligo white patches who will help me to get rid of white patches from my skin Bill Marketplace 0 March 27th 05 07:50 PM
Using Tip Top Original Patches Ian G Batten UK 25 June 17th 04 04:36 AM
CURE-C-CURE patches IanB UK 15 March 2nd 04 02:50 AM