'Shared' path - yeah right

Old December 2nd 05, 12:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default 'Shared' path - yeah right

yet another new thread for today

Yesterday riding home on a shared path (one with a solid white line down the
middle), I approached two young ladies walking their dogs in the opposite
direction. Both dogs were the fluffy uncontrollable types, so I slowed to
an almost stop... At the last second one of the dogs runs right in front of
me.. I had it under control knowing this was going to happen... Usually
I'd swear lots and drone out any attempt by the owner to respond... but
no... I politely said "well, that dog isn't very well trained"..

w00t! I think I hit a nerve!! "SQUARK THIS IS AN OFF THE LEAD AREA SQUARK
SQUARK"... wholly hell... since when does an off the lead area mean you have
no responsibility for the safety of your dog and other path users? Nice man
over.. I let her know what shape her dog would be if it happened again....

I didn't do anything to help the cause of hatred towards cyclists, but I
feel she put the same effort into reaffirming my hatred of obnoxious dog
owners.. balance maintained... I blasted home setting in near PB time..

cheers,
GPL

Old December 2nd 05, 12:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

GPLama Wrote:

w00t! I think I hit a nerve!! "SQUARK THIS IS AN OFF THE LEAD AREA
SQUARK

So what? A common 'squark' from dog walkers...
Yes, the area the Shared path travels thru might well be an 'offlead'
one however once they grace that bitumen/concrete which is signed as a
shared path they are beholden(sp?) to the law (along with the $100
fine!) stating they must have their dog back on the leash.
It's a fineable offence. Perhaps point that out to them next time you
see some owner vagueing off like that. Better yet, lean over and note
rover's rego number. That'll put the wind up her/him. consequences have
habit of doing that...

--
flyingdutch

Old December 2nd 05, 12:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"flyingdutch" wrote in message...

It's a fineable offence. Perhaps point that out to them next time you
see some owner vagueing off like that. Better yet, lean over and note
rover's rego number. That'll put the wind up her/him. consequences have
habit of doing that...

That's a damn good level headed idea... you think it will be ok to pick the
small dogs up by the collar, note the number, and fling them at the owner?

cheers,
GPL
:dog thrower:

Old December 2nd 05, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

GPLama Wrote:

That's a damn good level headed idea... you think it will be ok to
pick the
small dogs up by the collar, note the number, and fling them at the
owner?

cheers,
GPL
:dog thrower:

Nah. put the lil' begggar to work! latch lead onto bars and emit a loud
'MUSH!!!'

or place it in the 'offlead' nearby river

--
flyingdutch

Old December 2nd 05, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

GPLama Wrote:
"flyingdutch" wrote in message...

It's a fineable offence. Perhaps point that out to them next time

you
see some owner vagueing off like that. Better yet, lean over and

note
rover's rego number. That'll put the wind up her/him. consequences

have
habit of doing that...

That's a damn good level headed idea... you think it will be ok to
pick the
small dogs up by the collar, note the number, and fling them at the
owner?

cheers,
GPL
:dog thrower:

This wouldn't have happened to be on a shared path in Kew perhaps? I
find my worst offenders there... Luckily you can see them coming a mile
off. I had a cycling regular I see often get knocked off due to the same
sort of situation, and then attacked by the dumb-ass owners.

Also had ludicrous encounters where I've overtaken people (not using
the bell as too often that creates more problems than it solves), to be
heckled with "No bell!"... The temptation to turn and give a mouthful is
hard to resist, but then why waste my effort and time on no-brainers...

(This is all the capital city trail through Kew East, and only since
Spring arrived notably!!)

--
eddiec

Old December 2nd 05, 01:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tell the bitch (sorry, I mean it's owner) what a scratched ergolever
costs. If she wants to pay for the results of her uncontrolled dog
making you fall off...her choice.

Donga

Old December 2nd 05, 01:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"eddiec" wrote in message ...

This wouldn't have happened to be on a shared path in Kew perhaps? I
find my worst offenders there... Luckily you can see them coming a mile
off. I had a cycling regular I see often get knocked off due to the same
sort of situation, and then attacked by the dumb-ass owners.

Doncaster East... along the 'cliff one side, fence the other' section just
east of the Blackburn Rd underpass...

cheers,
GPL

Old December 2nd 05, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Donga" wrote in message ...
Tell the bitch (sorry, I mean it's owner) what a scratched ergolever
costs. If she wants to pay for the results of her uncontrolled dog
making you fall off...her choice.

Looks like squirrels are the answer...

http://tinyurl.com/a2g3m

cheers,
GPL

Old December 2nd 05, 01:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Disobedient dogs are like disobedient children. Injury usually tempers
an unbridled spirit.

--
Marx SS

Old December 2nd 05, 01:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

We were in Centennial Park on our singles for a change when having a
nice ride when we decided to stop for a moment. A woman decided with
one of those fluffy uncontrolable things in tow stopped just out of
range of the dog being able to reach us. First she had the dog with
teeth barred going berko 10cms away from my wifes ankle and then she
proceeded to do the same to me. She was horrified when I suggested that
she take her out of control dog away before I used it as a football. She
thought they were so cute!
Seemed like a good idea to me.
If my 2 rottweillers were that badly trained they would be a menace
(and impossible to hold with a combined weight of over 100kgs.
Some people think if thier dog is small they don't need to be trained.

Just think if the dog is off the lead and causes you to have an
accident, not only can they be fined but you can also sue them for
damage and loss of income.

I hate fluffy yappy dogs

Cheers

Geoff