How compatible is 3 speed internal gear with sand?

Old April 1st 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
donquijote1954

Default How compatible is 3 speed internal gear with sand?

(ComandanteBanana)

This one wouldn't have a problem with the chain though: It has no
chain!

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...Store_Code=abs

Would the front wheel though have traction in the sand?
Old April 1st 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:09:34 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
may have said:

I intend to buy one of those, and I have a sand trail nearby. Are
those gears sealed? How about the maintenance they take.

Why do I get the funny feeling that this is a troll?

If the trail is dry sand, you'll swiftly get an education in the finer
points of choosing your ride location. If it's damp packed sand, it's
like dirt; no worries, and the sand is irrelevant.

3 speed hubs are questionable for serious trail use for a variety of
reasons unrelated to sealing. Look at what the others on that trail
are using; there's probably a reason. (If no one rides there, this
may be a clue as well.)

Old April 1st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

may have said:

I intend to buy one of those, and I have a sand trail nearby. Are
those gears sealed? How about the maintenance they take.

Why do I get the funny feeling that this is a troll?

If the trail is dry sand, you'll swiftly get an education in the finer
points of choosing your ride location. *If it's damp packed sand, it's
like dirt; no worries, and the sand is irrelevant.

3 speed hubs are questionable for serious trail use for a variety of
reasons unrelated to sealing. *Look at what the others on that trail
are using; there's probably a reason. *(If no one rides there, this
may be a clue as well.)

This is only a beach trail where people ride whatever, but I don't
want to go through the trouble of heavy duty cleaning. I could use the
mountain bike, but I have a 3 speed that's safer being lower and also
less maintenance. On top of that I'm considering a 3 speed trike to
use at the same place. This one with no chain is simpler but I don't
think it would grab on the sand. IT'S NOT LOOSE SAND, EXCEPT FOR A FEW
SPOTS.
Old April 2nd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Apr 1, 10:05 am, donquijote1954
wrote:
(ComandanteBanana)

This one wouldn't have a problem with the chain though: It has no
chain!

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...=PROD&Product_...

Would the front wheel though have traction in the sand?

Geeze, does Mattel know about this? (Or whoever the heck made the "Big
Wheel" back in the 70's.)
Old April 2nd 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

(ComandanteBanana)

This one wouldn't have a problem with the chain though: It has no
chain!

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...=PROD&Product_....

Would the front wheel though have traction in the sand?

Geeze, does Mattel know about this? (Or whoever the heck made the "Big
Wheel" back in the 70's.)

This is the other option...

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...il.php?id=1100

Which I can also get as a single speed.

Which one would be better for the sand?
Old April 3rd 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
may have said:

This is only a beach trail where people ride whatever, but I don't
want to go through the trouble of heavy duty cleaning. I could use the
mountain bike, but I have a 3 speed that's safer being lower and also
less maintenance. On top of that I'm considering a 3 speed trike to
use at the same place. This one with no chain is simpler but I don't
think it would grab on the sand. IT'S NOT LOOSE SAND, EXCEPT FOR A FEW
SPOTS.

Okay. Packed, level sand = no worries for a three speed, but if you
can enclose the chain completely, it'll be even better. The hub is
pretty well sealed against sand and crud, but the chain isn't, and
beaches still have the salt problem; rental bikes down in Galveston
are typically rusted beyond usefulness in a year or so, even if they
never get south of the Seawall. (They favor single-speeds for that
duty, for a variety of good reasons.)

Old April 3rd 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

may have said:

[...]

Wow, THAT'S an answer. I prefer though the semi-recumbent style (you
sit lower), which performs better with 3 speeds. So I guess that's a
good compromise. Thanks!
Old April 23rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

may have said:

[...]

good compromise. Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

OK, I finally got the trike and it was a blast on the sand. I got
other bikes but I love this one. I did 14 miles today.

3 speed internal gear, pedal forward (lower center of gravity), and
tons of storage. And stylish to boot. Thanks all!