IRD Freewheels : Worth 3x the cost ??

Old April 15th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default IRD Freewheels : Worth 3x the cost ??

| The Shimano cassette freehub design is limited to a 10mm threaded
| axle. There are other variations, but at the expense of strength in
| the ratchet-- and they top out at 12mm. I have broken 10mm cassette
| hub axles (7-speed). I have also broken 9.5 and 10mm freewheel hub
| axles, but I have never broken a larger diameter unthreaded hub
| axle.
|
| Phil freewheel hubs use a 15mm smooth axle. Up to 19mm is
| hypothetically feasible, since a Shimano-type freewheel spline allows
| that diameter. Even accounting for drive side overhang, a 15mm smooth
| axle outclasses a 10mm threaded axle.

Your experience is exceptionally-rare. I do not recall ever seeing a broken
cassette hub axle, aside from one that someone rode so loose that it became
worn through. I will concede that the 15mm Phile axle goes beyond even that.
But I would not suggest to someone that a Phil hub is an answer to a problem
that doesn't exist (worrying about breaking a cassette hub axle).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 15th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

| Having ten sprockets doesn't allow _anything_ that can't be done just
| as well with seven sprockets in the same overall range (besides wreck
| your rear wheel).

*Your* experience based on *your* riding style. Some of us are far pickier
about the cadence we wish to use at any particular time. I was much happier
when 9-speed cassettes came along than with the prior 8-speed systems, yet
find very little advantage (over the range I use, which is 12-27) with a 10.
But I look forward to someone coming up with a 12-29, which would give me
gearing "gaps" I can deal with and the range I would prefer. 7-speed
systems, to me, wouldn't accomplish that.

Old April 15th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

| Having ten sprockets doesn't allow _anything_ that can't be done just
| as well with seven sprockets in the same overall range (besides wreck
| your rear wheel).

*Your* experience based on *your* riding style. Some of us are far pickier
about the cadence we wish to use at any particular time. I was much happier
when 9-speed cassettes came along than with the prior 8-speed systems, yet
find very little advantage (over the range I use, which is 12-27) with a 10.
But I look forward to someone coming up with a 12-29, which would give me
gearing "gaps" I can deal with and the range I would prefer. 7-speed
systems, to me, wouldn't accomplish that.

So you suggest that you can actually _do something_ (besides indulge
your pickiness) with 10-speed that you can't do with 7-speed? Because
that's what I was addressing. Wider range does more things-- for any
rider-- but more sprockets in the same range do the same things.

Heck, if my bikes had 160mm rear spacing and 56cm chainstays, I
wouldn't mind having a sprocket in between 24t and 34t on my usual
11-34 freewheels. But I don't fool myself thinking I could actually
do anything with it that I can't do with the ones I've got.

Chalo
Old April 15th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Bushnell

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I do not recall ever seeing a broken cassette hub axle, aside from one that
someone rode so loose that it became worn through.

I've broken at least two Shimano cassette hub axles in the last ten years. I
weigh about 180 lbs, and my bike and gear another 45 lbs. It doesn't happen often
enough to be a major inconvenience, though.

I can't believe in all your years in the business you've only seen one example.

http://tinyurl.com/3wtaca
http://tinyurl.com/5grt2h

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old April 15th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

"Huge" 13% jumps, eh?

Yes, in my world.

You sound like my sister who is only
comfortable between 72 and 74 degrees.

The Boss of the Outfit has a comfort zone
measured with negative numbers.

--
Michael Press
Old April 15th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

| Having ten sprockets doesn't allow _anything_ that can't be done just
| as well with seven sprockets in the same overall range (besides wreck
| your rear wheel).

*Your* experience based on *your* riding style. Some of us are far pickier
about the cadence we wish to use at any particular time. I was much happier
when 9-speed cassettes came along than with the prior 8-speed systems, yet
find very little advantage (over the range I use, which is 12-27) with a 10.
But I look forward to someone coming up with a 12-29, which would give me
gearing "gaps" I can deal with and the range I would prefer. 7-speed
systems, to me, wouldn't accomplish that.

13-23 nine-speed cassette. Two 2-tooth jumps.
It makes me very, very happy.

--
Michael Press
Old April 15th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Adam Kadlubek

On 15 Kwi, 19:36, Chalo wrote:
So you suggest that you can actually _do something_ (besides indulge
your pickiness) with 10-speed that you can't do with 7-speed? Because
that's what I was addressing. Wider range does more things-- for any
rider-- but more sprockets in the same range do the same things.

I am a die-hard fan of corn-knob type cassettes. They allow me to
manage my cadence much more precisely, especially during the high-
speed riding. 7speed cassettes force me to use triple front. 10 Speeds
allow to carry some extra sprockets to switch triple to double.

--
Adam Kadlubek
Old April 15th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

13-23 nine-speed cassette. Two 2-tooth jumps.
It makes me very, very happy.

--
Michael Press

Like I said, individuals prefer different things!

But one problem with having such a closely-spaced cassette. You can claim
that you wish you had that perfect gear when you're out there suffering on a
climb, trying to keep up, and that the lack of it is what's holding you
back. But with your cassette, that's a tough claim to prove!

I can do fine with a 12-27 (34/50) up front. Low enough gear for the hills I
ride, and not so widely spaced that I feel like it's worth changing out for
a flat century.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old April 15th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sandy wrote:

Chalo a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

So you suggest that you can actually _do something_ (besides indulge
your pickiness) with 10-speed that you can't do with 7-speed?

Go faster, more comfortably, with less stress over longer distances.

Hmm. Too bad Merckx didn't have a ten-speed cassette hub instead of
a lousy five-speed freewheel; it sounds he could have been a contender
for the world land speed record instead of Le Tour.

Chalo
Old April 15th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

I do not recall ever seeing a broken cassette hub axle, aside from one
that
someone rode so loose that it became worn through.

I've broken at least two Shimano cassette hub axles in the last ten years.
weigh about 180 lbs, and my bike and gear another 45 lbs. It doesn't
happen often
enough to be a major inconvenience, though.

I can't believe in all your years in the business you've only seen one
example.

Bill: Believe it, it's true. Were your broken axles on recumbents?

FREEWHEELS? datakoll Techniques 6 March 8th 08 07:27 AM
New freewheels Doki UK 6 February 26th 08 06:39 PM
FS: 28 BMX / singlespeed freewheels [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 2nd 08 11:59 PM
Ceramic bearings, worth the cost? Chris M Techniques 18 May 23rd 06 05:31 AM
FS: 2 freewheels Bikefixr Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 08:35 PM