Dollar bill boot test

Old August 31st 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dollar bill boot test

On Aug 30, 4:33*pm, wrote:

(snipped):

[dollar bill tire boot failure]

Something stronger would be better.

Try a $20 next time, Dr. Fogel. Elementary. --D-y
Old August 31st 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:40:00 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I did that trick about 3 weeks ago. I had a 3/4" cut right in the
middle of the tread, about 2 miles into my 17 mile commute. Had I any
sense, I would have turned around and went home, but I tried the
dollar bill, folded twice for 4 layers. It made it the last 15 miles
to work, but I wasn't sure how long it would last, so on the way home,
I stopped at the bike shop and got a genuine Park TB-1 adhesive boot
and put it in.

I stopped off at the soccer fields along the trail and used the dollar
bill for a bottle of Gatorade. Two quadrants were blackened by the
casing and a hole wore through two of the layers, but the vending
machine still took the bill.

I made it five miles past the bike shop, and my Park boot wore
through, and the tube blew out. For those keeping score, the dollar
bill lasted 17 miles, the Park TB-1 lasted five.

The Dollar is stronger than for which we're giving it credit.

Dear Hank,

Only five miles on a Park boot? Yikes!

Judging by your experience with 4 layers and Jay's good luck with what
might be 8 layers, the secret may be either a strong Federal Reserve
policy or else the layers of paper slipping a little against each
other.

Of course, the hole in your tire was apparently big enough for the
boot to touch the pavement and wear through.

If nothing else, this is making me glad that I carry that spare tire
rolled up in my seat bag, as well as a Park boot. Some disasters are
beyond any boot:
http://i19.tinypic.com/53r4dp0.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/4t9hswg.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 31st 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

wrote:

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
[...]

I guess I should now state a disclaimer: the dollar bill was ridden
with as much pressure as I could muster with my Topeak Micro Rocket,
which I'd guess was about 65 psi on a 700x23 tire (Specialized Mondo
Pro, that only had 85 miles on it before the flat). Since I installed
the Park boot outside a shop, I borrowed their floor pump and brought
it up to about 85 psi. In either case, though, the cut was huge and
the boot material was definitely contacting pavement.
Old August 31st 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 30, 3:33 pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

I've never been able to make a sturdy boot with any sort of paper
product that lasts for more than a few miles if it's contacting
pavement. OTOH, I've ridden about 50 miles with a simple star of
electrical tape on the outside of the tire and it showed no signs of
breaking through. To sum up -- Electrical tape.

Robert
Old August 31st 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

As might be expected, Euro bills are much stronger than US dollars.

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old August 31st 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:04:01 +0200, M-gineering

[...]

Dear Marten,

Since you can get a Euro easily, why not slip one lengthwise in a
tire, ride it for thirty miles, and let us know what happens?

I don't know if the Euro is just paper or partly plastic, but just
about any single-sheet of paper should tear.

When I tried a business card (thicker, stronger, and smaller than a
dollar bill), the card looked undamaged at first after fifteen miles,
but on closer inspection there were several tears in the middle of the
card, working their way out toward the edges.

I expect that a Euro bill would do as well as a dollar bill if folded
up so that the multiple plies could move ever so slightly against each
other.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 31st 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

wrote:
[...]

I've never done the test with US money, but a 20 euro bill got me home
fine on the occasion I had to test it. It didn't tear, got a nice
diagonal imprint, and feathered edges.

Euro's are printed on much harder wearing paper than US bills, and it
doesn't crease as much. Counting a stack of both denominations will make
this clear very easily

It goes without saying that Dutch guilder notes were even nicer!

Old August 31st 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luca Magnoni

On 31 Ago, 09:29, wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:04:01 +0200, M-gineering

cut

Since you can get a Euro easily, why not slip one lengthwise in a
tire, ride it for thirty miles, and let us know what happens?

"a" Euro is a _coin_

Smallest Euro bills are 5 Euro, so it's an expensive test. I would try
it anyway just to see, but I ride tubulars only.

Ciao
Luca
Old August 31st 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Luca Magnoni wrote:
On 31 Ago, 09:29, wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:04:01 +0200, M-gineering

cut

Since you can get a Euro easily, why not slip one lengthwise in a
tire, ride it for thirty miles, and let us know what happens?

"a" Euro is a _coin_

Smallest Euro bills are 5 Euro, so it's an expensive test. I would try
it anyway just to see, but I ride tubulars only.

Ciao
Luca

Just change it at the bank when it is worn out

Old August 31st 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

wrote:
On Aug 30, 3:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

Whoa! I've never /booted/ a tire where the boot was contacting
pavement. Y'all are booting some seriously big cuts in that case!

....and I thought I tried wild things.

Mark J.

Ten Dollar Mirror Joe King Racing 1 August 6th 06 09:48 PM
200 dollar pushbikes in the park DaveB Australia 12 April 8th 06 04:36 PM
Those four dollar nashbar saddles... maxo General 14 July 6th 05 03:46 AM
Tyler's Dollar Loss B. Lafferty Racing 0 November 30th 04 08:02 PM