Park Tool Glueless Patches

Old September 23rd 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Park Tool Glueless Patches

On Sep 22, 4:51*pm, wrote:
" writes:
On 2008-09-20, wrote:
[...]

Maybe we need a survey to show how widespread dried out unopened tubes
of bicycle tire rubber cement have occurred with bicyclists who read
this newsgroup.

I've never known an unopened one to dry out.

I bought a whole can of it. I don't carry patches on my rides.
However, I patch everything at home. The can of rubber glue has lasted
me more than four years. It has a lid with a brush and works great. I
got it at an auto part store along with a piece of rubber to patch
things.

I always carry two tubes along for rides. If I puncture more than
that, I tie a knot on the tube and ride home. I also carry a cell
phone. for really long rides where there may be lots of flats, you can

?!?!? Maybe you should invest in some decent tyres and new tubes? On a
fully loaded touring bike I have not had a flat in about 15 years.

Either that or get some decent glue and proper patches...

carry extra tube on your back and through your arms. You do a figure
eight with the tubes and pass your arms through them. You won't even
notice them. If you get flats, patch them at home and keep the patched

Yo put a tube around your body when cycling?!?!?!? Wow.

tube as spares. I keep riding my tubes until they have so many patches
that become bomb proof. Actually, they puncture at the valve *after a
long time.

I rarely get flats. My experience is that I never get flats until i
get them in pairs. So, I always carry two tubes just in case. Most of
the time I end up sharing my tubes with others.

However, I cannot understand why people would carry glue on a ride. It
is easier to carry tubes and then patch tubes at home.

Well, that is where we have to disagree. Even if you have a new tube you
still need levers and a pump. Glue and patches are the size of a match box. It
takes about 1 minute to find a hole and patch it.

I do take a tube when touring. But only for worst case scenario and its
no inconvenience (bottom of one full pannier).

I don't carry levers. I can usually dismount a tire without them. For
air, I use compressed air cartridges.
Old September 23rd 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andres Muro wrote:

Maybe we need a survey to show how widespread dried out
unopened tubes of bicycle tire rubber cement have occurred
with bicyclists who read this newsgroup.

I've never known an unopened one to dry out.

I bought a whole can of it. I don't carry patches on my rides.
However, I patch everything at home. The can of rubber glue has
lasted me more than four years. It has a lid with a brush and
works great. I got it at an auto part store along with a piece
of rubber to patch things.

I always carry two tubes along for rides. If I puncture more
than that, I tie a knot on the tube and ride home. I also carry
a cell phone. for really long rides where there may be lots of
flats, you can carry extra tube on your back and through your
arms. You do a figure eight with the tubes and pass your arms
through them. You won't even notice them. If you get flats,
patch them at home and keep the patched tube as spares. I keep
[...]

I thought this was about glue-less patches, but it got into never
having a flat and to patch tubes at home. The part that interested me
was whether anyone else had glue tubes that dried out before the cap
seal was opened, or for that matter, dried out glue tube with cap
firmly in place.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 23rd 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 23, 12:30*am, wrote:
Andres Muro wrote:
[...]

I was hoping that at some point we would get to Sarah Palin. The tubes
dried out because we didn't pray.
Old September 23rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mister2u

On Sep 22, 12:48*pm, wrote:
someone wrote:
As for Superglue I've tried it numerous times with no luck.I've
found glueless patches work well much better than standard patches.

In what way do they work (hold air) much better than standard patches?

Jobst Brandt

I think I have a better success rate with them because they require
less drying time.A good percentage of my roadside patches with
glue,fail.The glueless patches don't muck up as often.
Old September 23rd 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
Andres Muro wrote:

[...]

you're trying to lead the question jobst. the point /you/ need to
address is why glue tubes have a shelf life of years, yet when rattling
around in your saddle bag, they suddenly dry out. the answer is real
simple but you're avoiding it.

Old September 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone wrote:

As for Superglue I've tried it numerous times with no luck. I've
found glueless patches work well, much better than standard
patches.

In what way do they work (hold air) much better than standard
patches?

I think I have a better success rate with them because they require
less drying time.A good percentage of my roadside patches with
glue,fail.The glueless patches don't muck up as often.

I think that has more to do with your patching technique and that you
ride a tube right after patching it, which causes patch lift and slow
leaks.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

Jobst Brandt
Old September 25th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

I see this thread got off course at some point. Anyway, my personal
experience with Park Tools glueless patches has not been good at all. The
last pack I bought was, maybe, two years ago. Have they improved since
then?