Gaping hole in tire

Old September 22nd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alexandre Kampouris

Default Gaping hole in tire

Hi,

Last night, some twit knifed the tires (or tyres, if you prefer) of all
my three bikes. The cut was made vertically with a pointed knife, and is
between 7 to 10 mm long depending on the victim.

I thought I'd be able to quickly put this unpleasantness behind me, but
after patching up the first tube and pumping back air into it at the
maximal 6 bar rating, I see that the cut in the tire takes a gaping oval
shape, with an aperture of 2-3mm at the widest. The tube already pushes
into the empty space, and shows potential for forming an hernia.

Is there any way I could close that hole? I don't think I'm gonna get
much mileage out of that combination in the present state. Is there
anything I could do, like trying to patch the tire on the inner face, or
put something which will prevent the tube from being punctured by
whatever comes up through that hole. Replacing all tires is a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Alexandre
Old September 22nd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Alexandre Kampouris wrote:
[...]

sorry to hear of your trouble. what you are looking for is called a
tire boot; just a layer of something a bit stiffer than inner tube
rubber sticks inside the tire over the cut and keeps everything in;
park tools sells a great kit with a few boots you can get for a couple
of dollars at your local bike shop. Gotta find that vandal though
Old September 22nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 22, 12:24*pm, Alexandre Kampouris
wrote:
[...]

Might try a few layers of duct tape over the hole.
Start with just covering the hole, then add each layer a little bit
longer than the previous one. About 4-6 would be the maximum
thickness you should go for, run pressure a little low, and get a
replacement tire. Maybe go ahead and buy all the needed replacements,
but just replace one every one or two weeks.
Old September 22nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 22, 10:24*am, Alexandre Kampouris
wrote:
[...]

With holes that big, I doubt you'll be able to save the tires. From my
experience, even if you boot them with tape, the adhesive will not be
strong enough to hold the cut together under pressure. Boots are
generally only for emergency purposes, to get you far enough to get
the tire replaced.

You have my sympathy.
Old September 22nd 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike Schwab wrote:

[...]

Duct tape has a pressure sensitive adhesive and doesn't harden for a
long time. That adhesive acts as an inter ply lubricant over time and
will allow the tape to creep and bulge through the casing hole. Shoty
trm, it id s good stop gap fix... to get home. Laying diagonally
oriented cloth weave with latex rubber coated between each lay-up
might work if the bridging action is not a complete hole of missing
casing. Latex rubber does not creep but is elastic when cured,
that doesn't take more than "over night".

http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/ma...nye/latex.html

Jobst Brandt
Old September 23rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On 22 Sep 2008 22:19:21 GMT, wrote:

Mike Schwab wrote:

[...]

And if possible, stitch the patches to the casing as close as is reasonable
possible to the cut; if it is in the "treaded" portion, you may be able to
lay the stitches in the tread grooves - if it is not, get to within about
1/4 inch of the cut (close may allow the casing to fray) and do a
figure-of-eight stitch throught the cut.
Old September 23rd 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay Taylor wrote:

[...]

hole. Short term, it's a good stop gap fix... to get home. Laying
diagonally oriented cloth weave with latex rubber coated between
each lay-up might work if the bridging action is not a complete
hole of missing casing. Latex rubber does not creep but is elastic
when cured, that doesn't take more than "over night".

http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/ma...nye/latex.html

And if possible, stitch the patches to the casing as close as is
reasonable possible to the cut; if it is in the "treaded" portion,
you may be able to lay the stitches in the tread grooves - if it is
not, get to within about 1/4 inch of the cut (close may allow the
casing to fray) and do a figure-of-eight stitch through the cut.

I don't think that is useful because sewing through a clincher is damn
hard and can puncture a metal thimble when pushing the needle, even
through a tread groove. Glue a multi (at least two ply) layer boot
into the casing with latex glue.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 23rd 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Alexandre Kampouris wrote:
[...]

Cut matching slices in the vandal?

“fdlagjaesgtp4epsadvdsajvadsvadjvdxzjvodjvof
adsgvogjvoasjcaoivor6udfda0tvuojdxvosdotvfl” – Ed Dolan
Old September 23rd 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

Jay Taylor wrote:

[...]

Hm...I recall that I learned from you (and demonstrated to my own
satisfaction) that water is a surprisingly good lubricant for cutting
rubber. Might our hero be able to sew the tubie by water-lubricating the
needle?

It might still be better to glue,

Old September 23rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Jay Taylor wrote:

[...]

Try lubricating the needle with beeswax, once between each stitch if
necessary. I've done this many times successfully.

Mark J.