Bicycles and the Law

Old July 14th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Cyclintom

Default Bicycles and the Law

In a group ride it isn’t unusual to see people aged from 18 to 75 and having fun together. What other exercises could you say that for?

Because of all the changes in cycling we have to start looking at the law and the cyclist perhaps with the idea of updating the laws to meet modern conditions.

The law demands that cyclists ride on the street and not on sidewalks and that they ride to the far right of the road at all times.

There are a number of problems with such laws. For instance, there are plenty of places such as around schools and colleges where there is heavy auto traffic at times while foot traffic might be at a minimum. These roads could also be very narrow and perhaps with many one way roads that make it difficult for students to get where they’re trying to go.

So it is normal for students in these conditions to ride on the sidewalks. Just as it is normal for younger children to ride on sidewalks because they do not understand how to judge traffic flow and it is dangerous for them to be in traffic.

Now most police are well aware of these conditions and as long as people are being careful they do not enforce the laws on the books. But there remains the fact that they could enforce them and cite people if they wanted to.

Also consider the group ride where riders are on wide roads with minimal traffic and so are riding two abreast and taking up an entire lane. They do this for a number of reasons. Of course there is the companionship of conversations but these group riding methods have practicality as well.

For instance, street sweepers tend to throw a lot of broken glass onto the right side of the roads. Bicycle tires are very sensitive to puncture. Holes, cracks in the road and most especially road debris such as glass shards and wire particles can cause a flat of a $100 tire. Bicyclists carry means to repair such flats but it is a good deal of work so cyclists tend to watch for all of the above dangers. Since they are on the right side of the road the only way to dodge these things is to turn out into the roadway.

For reasons entirely beyond me, on a many lanes road, when cyclists are riding to the far right a lot or motorists will take the right lane of the road. Many roads have sufficient room for this dodging but it can startle some drivers if a cyclist suddenly veers out from the side of the roadway.

Also when riding to the far right cars approaching from side roads are often unaware of these cyclists. So they will occasionally pull part way into the intersection to get a better view of traffic and then they are in the path of the cyclists who now might have to dodge into passing traffic or come to a stop.

If groups are riding in a traffic lane, two abreast, the outside rider is much easier seen to intersecting traffic as well as putting the group out of the glass. And taking an entire lane they have more room to dodge potholes, cracks etc. that are becoming more and more prevalent as cities are in financial binds and delay resurfacing roads.

And it forces light traffic out to more outside lanes where it is difficult for them to trap the riders in between them and intersecting traffic.

Again, most police officers are well aware of this reasoning (since many of them cycle themselves for fitness) but the fact remains that on a bad day most of the group if not all could be cited.

Cyclists in general will obey the laws to the letter on narrow or heavily trafficked roads. And those with bike lanes, which are typically, too narrow for two abreast riding.

What I’m suggesting is that the laws need to be updated so that the real actions of cyclists are taken into account as well instead of only the convenience of automobile drivers. There’s definitely a time for a change.
Old July 14th 12, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Wes Groleau

On 07-13-2012 21:42, Cyclintom wrote:
The law demands that cyclists ride on the street and not on sidewalks and that they ride to the far right of the road at all times.

First part, false in some places. Second part, false in most places.

Also consider the group ride where riders are on wide roads with minimal traffic and so are riding two abreast
and taking up an entire lane.

Completely legal where I live.

For instance, street sweepers tend to throw a lot of broken glass onto the right side of the roads.
Bicycle tires are very sensitive to puncture. Holes, cracks in the

road and most especially road debris
such as glass shards and wire particles can cause a flat of a $100 tire.

Are you insane? Tires are fifteen to forty dollars! And what goes flat
IF ANYTHING, is the five-dollar inner tube.

Again, most police officers are well aware of this reasoning (since many of them cycle themselves
for fitness) but the fact remains that on a bad day most of the group

if not all could be cited.

Only if they are in one of those rare places (if any still exist) with
such a stupid law.

Cyclists in general will obey the laws to the letter on narrow or heavily trafficked roads.

Yeah, right. Cyclists, like motorists, come in all sorts. And like
motorists, a large percentage of them base their actions on what they
can get away with, not what is legal or sensible.

--
Wes Groleau

“A man with an experience is never
at the mercy of a man with an argument.â€
— Ron Allen

Old July 14th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Cyclintom wrote:

Because of all the changes in cycling we have to start looking at the law and the cyclist perhaps with the idea of updating the laws to meet modern conditions.

The law demands that cyclists ride on the street and not on sidewalks and that they ride to the far right of the road at all times.

You definitely need to read your state laws in detail, to find out what
they _really_ say. I think you'll be surprised.

They're probably available online.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Wes Groleau

On 07-14-2012 14:32, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Cyclintom wrote:
The law demands that cyclists ride on the street and not on sidewalks
and that they ride to the far right of the road at all times.

You definitely need to read your state laws in detail, to find out what
they _really_ say. I think you'll be surprised.

Wouldn't hurt him to read price tags in the bike shop, either. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

“Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
feel smug about. Why should I disillusion them?â€
— Charles Wallace
(in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)

Old July 15th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Pardon me. I assumed that other states had more or less the same laws of California:

V C Section 21202 Operation on Roadway
Operation on Roadway

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Do you see anywhere allowing riding two abreast? Or on sidewalks save when passing?

Also, I don't know where you buy your tires but around here if you go to a shop to buy a Continental Gran Prix they go for $80 and add to that the cost of a new tube and you have a cost of nearly $100. Where ever you live you might be lucky to have nice clean roads without potholes and wide cracks but in California that is unfortunately no longer the case. My brother has had two new tires sliced clear across the rubber twice in the last three months followed shortly by blowouts. I've been lucky and only had four flats in the last three months. And I watch closely for glass.
Old July 15th 12, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

On Friday, July 13, 2012 9:08:53 PM UTC-7, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 07-13-2012 21:42, Cyclintom wrote:

Cyclists in general will obey the laws to the letter on narrow or heavily trafficked roads.

Yeah, right. Cyclists, like motorists, come in all sorts. And like
motorists, a large percentage of them base their actions on what they
can get away with, not what is legal or sensible.

Wes, over two years ago I had a serious head injury that was treated properly until six months ago and the medication and dosages weren't straightened out until Jan 2012. I didn't start riding again until May and during my off time went from 210 lbs to 148. All my riding muscles were gone as well as large blocks of my memory. So I've been watching other riders closely.

Around here whereas riders tend to ride somewhat differently when a cop is around it isn't much different than described. Today I did an easy ride of 50 miles and about 1400 vertical feet of climbing in a local century ride. During this time besides the 500 or so riders on the century courses there were perhaps another 500 or more riders out on training rides etc. Some groups had 50 riders riding two abreast where it was possible and safe at 25+ mph. But they got out of the way of traffic.

I have to wonder where the rest of the posters here have ridden and how they've ridden. For instance, I suppose you can buy a cheap set of tires but when you are doing rides of 70 miles with 3,000 ft plus of vertical climbing and descending at 45+ mph you don't ride cheap tires with poor traction or possible blow-out material.

By the way - before my head injury I was putting in 10,000 miles a year for the three years previous to my injury. And not that much different for the preceeding 20 years. I'm a real cyclist and do everything from riding up to the store on my grocery/touring bicycle to cyclocross riding to mountain biking to road cycling and riding long distances on dirt roads on a road bike without any problems. So I think I've seen a few other riders in my time..
Old July 15th 12, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Wes Groleau

On 07-15-2012 00:10, wrote:
Around here whereas riders tend to ride somewhat differently when a cop is around it isn't much different than described.

Around here, riders ignore cops because cops ignore them. For the same
reason, they ignore stop signs, traffic signals,
one-way signs, and common sense.

I have to wonder where the rest of the posters here have ridden and how they've ridden. For instance, I suppose you can buy a cheap set of tires but when you are doing rides of 70 miles with 3,000 ft plus of vertical climbing and descending at 45+ mph you don't ride cheap tires with poor traction or possible blow-out material.
By the way - before my head injury I was putting in 10,000 miles a year for the three years previous to my injury. And not that much different for the preceeding 20 years. I'm a real cyclist and do everything from riding up to the store on my grocery/touring bicycle to cyclocross riding to mountain biking to road cycling and riding long distances on dirt roads on a road bike without any problems. So I think I've seen a few other riders in my time.

I do fewer than 500 miles per month since I got started again two years
ago. Did have one blow-out, probably a defective tire. Tires that came
with the bike lasted 25,000 miles. That's three years of twenty miles a
day, twenty years of almost no riding, then two years totaling
three thousand miles.

But I don't see many other riders. Every time out, at least one, but
never a large group.

Old July 16th 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Most states' laws follow reasonably well the Uniform Vehicle Code,
although admittedly, state legislators get "creative" with bike laws
more than motor vehicle laws.

Anyway, most states specify that bicyclists may ride "no more than two
abreast." Thus, two abreast is allowed.

FWIW, I had to (patiently, carefully) explain that to an Idaho State
Patrolman when he stopped us on the downgrade just west of Lolo Pass.
It helped that he decided to grab his copy of the Idaho traffic code to
show me. I was able to point to the exact wording.

About the rest: Most cyclists are really not very competent, even if
they're capable of great athleticism. It's seems to be rare to find one
who has even wondered about the best position on the road, let alone
read any instructional material on that topic. It's damned rare to find
anyone who's taken a class that teaches such things.

In fact, many cyclists seem to take pride in inviting (by being too far
right) large trucks to pass by brushing their elbows, then being able to
maintain a perfectly straight line despite the danger they invited.

AFAIK, no state requires riding far to the right when a lane is too
narrow to safely share, as does the California law you quoted. The
problem, I think, is that most cylists and many motorists don't
understand that.

There are some cycling advocates who would prefer that _all_
cycling-specific laws be removed; that bicycles be treated exactly the
same, under the law, as any other vehicle. They say the other "slow
moving vehicle" laws are adequate when the bikes are in fact slow, and
that when bikes are as fast as other traffic, or when there is no other
traffic, bikes should be operated like any other vehicle - for example,
with no requirement to keep far to the right.

There's logic in that position, I think.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 17th 12, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Wes Groleau

On 07-16-2012 10:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:
There are some cycling advocates who would prefer that _all_
cycling-specific laws be removed; that bicycles be treated exactly the
same, under the law, as any other vehicle. They say the other "slow
moving vehicle" laws are adequate when the bikes are in fact slow, and
that when bikes are as fast as other traffic, or when there is no other
traffic, bikes should be operated like any other vehicle - for example,
with no requirement to keep far to the right.

There's logic in that position, I think.

Hmmm, guess I'd better buy a slow-moving triangle. Maybe I could snag a
free one the next time I pedal past a tractor or Amish buggy. :-)

(Yep, they're both slower than I am)

--
Wes Groleau

Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
http://www.phlaunt.com/quentin