no oranges in orangeville

Old August 4th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default no oranges in orangeville

or: Buy a map! Pinhead!

Yesterday I set my goal as Orangeville. Why? As I often retort: It's not the
destination. It's the journey.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3064752

Similar weather to the previous day, breezy but much appreciated as it is
warm, bordering on humid.

I start out towards Rockwood planning to turn north on Wellington Rd 27
which becomes 5th line which becomes 4th line [No I'm not making this up.
that's the way the road designations are around here] which I came south on
the day before.

Even going the north on the overall upslope the hills are an effort but
somehow 'good' hills. It was on of those hills about an hour in that a car
matches my speed and proceeds to ask me for directions.

[rant mode]

What is about automobile ownership that:

[a] makes them incapable of thinking far enough ahead to pack a 50 gram map
book in their 2000 kg automobile before going on a trip to parts unknown.

[b] think that not only is perfectly acceptable to match speed with a
cyclist and try to elicit direction not just to a town but to a specific
locale within a town while said cyclist is attacking a hill?

They say that one of the differences between the sexes is that men refuse to
ask for directions. Well if so every single exception to that rule seems to
be able to find me. I bite my tongue and pull out my map book to which the
clueless lost soul gasps: 'Oh, you have a map!' as if it was some rarely
seen Rosetta Stone that only Indiana Jones has ever seen.

I am so tempted to do many anti-social things:

Give them the wrong directions. Yell at them for their temerity. Or simply
tell them that they can't get there from here.

[end of rant mode]

But I don't. My one concession to society.

Other than that it was a good run. 136 km with just the right degree of
hills and fortuitous route selection. Wellington Rd 3 around Craigsholme was
a little busier than comfortable but otherwise the traffic was reasonable
and in places decent shoulders.

As for the paucity of oranges in Orangeville, I confess I never actually
looked for said citrus but for a snack stop in Marsville [had I really gone
that far?] and a sub sandwich in Orangeville.

The only daunting hills, and it might have been more my tired legs, was
coming back through Bellwood where I was tempted to walk the bike up a few
of the them.

All in all a successful long weekend.