Evaluating the * Administration's Achievements

Old March 2nd 21, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Excellent Vulcanizing Fluid

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 8:58:42 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/1/2021 2:37 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 1:24:34 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
I can laugh. It isn't my country going down the tubes. And this essayist is genuinely funny.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ilure-n2585441

Andre Jute
Fortunately over 3000 miles away

Fortunately over 3000 miles away but unfortunately still connected to the internet.

So, I had another bunch of tubes I had to repair, and I'd run out of my little tubes of Rema vulcanizing fluid, so I went cheap and got a can of not-Rema vulcanizing fluid: https://www.sherco-auto.com/8-oz-all...AhWwE ALw_wcB

It is thinner than expected, but has the smell-of-Rema volatiles, and it works really well. It is a good buy for high-volume flat repairers. I wanted to get a patch roller, too, but just used my screen roller, which I already own and works surprisingly well. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm interested in hearing about the shelf-life of the can. I bought one
decades ago, and it dried out on me; it's hard to get the cans to seal
well, so the volatiles can escape long before I can use the contents.

I buy cheapo patch kits at Fred Meyer and then throw the patches away,
so I have fresh tubes of glue. I buy Rema patches in bulk once every
decade or so.

If the volatiles can escape from a closed tube they are going to escape from anywhere.
Old March 2nd 21, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 11:04:56 -0800 (PST),
Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I agree with Tom. Turning it upside down may help slow down the
solvent loss, but won't stop it entirely.

Another option would be to add solvent when needed. I've done
that with things like white-out (ethyl ether, I think), and
regular rubber cement (hexane, I think). Don't know if the
vulcanizing liquid uses hexane or some other organic solvent.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old March 2nd 21, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I've read that once a container is opened that it can't be completely sealed again. That's why a it's recommended that a lot of household things (besides paints and varnishes) be stored well away from living quarters or open flames such as pilot lights.

Cheers
Old March 2nd 21, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I've decided to keep my can of vulcanizing fluid in ten ziplock bags upside down in my toilet tank, next to my plutonium.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 2nd 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

So now you'll have to wear lead gloves to use it, eh?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old March 2nd 21, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/2/2021 10:07 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think storing the can upside down helps seal it. I never thought about buying kits at Freddy's, but I did the same thing at Western Bikeworks when they opened the NW store and had $.99 patch kits at the counter. That ended too soon. I do like the brush and he single pass application, although if you shake the can as recommended or store it upside down, you have to be careful not to let fluid drip everywhere from the underside of the lid.

$9 for a 10g tube of Rema is heinous. https://www.amazon.com/Rema-Vulcaniz.../dp/B0017RV5XG The same goes with Shimano hydro mineral oil. $12 for 100ml. I got a liter on sale for $16, which was an incredible bargain. It's gone up in price -- must be because of Biden. All bicycle consumables have skyrocketed in the last 40 years, some rockets slower than others.

-- Jay Beattie.

$9 is heinous indeed. Searching Amazon for "Rema vulcanizing" found
many cheaper options, including an 8oz Rema-branded can of fluid for
$16.40. Let me know how your can is doing in a few months, maybe I'll
try one again.

Mark J.
Old March 2nd 21, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 12:40:58 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Another even cheaper option is Slime rubber cement, which I'm told is a vulcanizing fluid -- notwithstanding the "rubber cement" moniker. https://tinyurl.com/54dyt4bd

It uses a different solvent than Rema. https://storage.googleapis.com/slime...011-4-2020.pdf (Ligroin/Naptha). The interweb reports that it works with Rema patches.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 2nd 21, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I hate to point this out but the Plutonium in virtually any amount would buy at least one tube of Rema cement.
Old March 2nd 21, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 12:57:51 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thinking that since this Felt is intended for offroad that I would put Slime tubes in it, I installed them in those Bontrager wheels, One of those things somehow got a pinch from a 35 mm tire. They were tiny little holes but of the three, none of them sealed from the slime. After exposed to air for 20 minutes they hardened into a rubbery lump. So I don't believe any of the claims of Slime.
Old March 3rd 21, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

So long as you keep your plutonium away from your other plutonium. I’m
hopefully downwind from your fallout plume, but I’m still too close to want
to bet on it.