Training Technique?

Old February 2nd 04, 12:29 PM
Roy Zipris

Default Training Technique?

While on a ride this Saturday morning along the Delaware River, I saw
an odd (to me) sight: a cyclist drafting a car. The car, a station
wagon, had its blinkers on and its rear door up, and the cyclist was a
foot or two behind the car, just about under the door. Is this some
kind of training technique? If so, what's the benefit of training
without working against the wind? Or is there some more subtle
technical exercise going on here?

I passed the fellow and his entourage again on my way back, and this
time I had the presence of mind to give him a little wave, which he
returned. Not too many of us out around here these days, with temps in
the teens and single-digit wind chill. --Roy Zipris
Old February 2nd 04, 09:18 PM
Terry Morse

Roy Zipris wrote:

While on a ride this Saturday morning along the Delaware River, I saw
an odd (to me) sight: a cyclist drafting a car. The car, a station
wagon, had its blinkers on and its rear door up, and the cyclist was a
foot or two behind the car, just about under the door. Is this some
kind of training technique?

Yes, the training technique is called "motorpacing". Pros do it a
fair amount, particularly in the early season:

http://www.trisite.com/site/447770/page/74162

I saw the Saturn guys motorpacing on nearby Canada Road early last
season, behind a motorcycle.

Training Schedules PRichter1 General 2 January 6th 04 09:46 AM
Why do training videos suck? Patrick Free General 3 January 3rd 04 03:03 AM
adding extra weight for training? kak61 General 24 December 7th 03 05:24 PM
Century training - rest day? Dale S. General 3 October 17th 03 03:54 AM
Training [email protected] General 6 July 18th 03 12:41 AM