Classic bicycle technology is safer

Old December 31st 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Classic bicycle technology is safer

or maybe not, depending

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-street.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 31st 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 8:25:59 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
or maybe not, depending

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-street.html

Either than appeared to be a one way street with the cyclist going the wrong way or an English street with the cyclist on the wrong side of the road. This appears to have nothing to do with the technology but the intellectual capacity of the rider.
Old December 31st 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 4:25:59 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
or maybe not, depending

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-street.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I rode one of those, from the local museum, in a parade when I was a schoolboy. We had to time it just right. Friends hoisted me up on the crossbar of the rugby posts, pushed the penny-farthing under me, and I then rode it less than half a mile through the school grounds to take my place in the already moving parade just as it crossed the first junction. Unfortunately, some idiot moved the flatbed truck positioned at the end point of the parade, the Show Grounds, for me to demount and I had to demount by falling over onto hay bales hurriedly brought from a prize bull's stall. The museum, which also a supplied a period suit, was not pleased with the evidence of the bull transferred from the straw to their knickerbockers and the next year refused to lend the parade the penny-farthing, instead giving me their Benz car to drive in the parade. I gave the accoutrements back in good condition and the car a little hotrodded, which caused the driver the next year when I was away at college to run over the train on the dress of that year's beauty queen (an ex-girlfriend) and my old headmaster to pronounce to the local paper that, "When Andre was under our care, we called him the Crown Prince of Chaos. You'd do well to investigate just what that scofflaw speeder did to that poor little car." -- AJ
Old December 31st 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 5:02:41 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 8:25:59 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
or maybe not, depending

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-street.html

Either than appeared to be a one way street with the cyclist going the wrong way or an English street with the cyclist on the wrong side of the road.. This appears to have nothing to do with the technology but the intellectual capacity of the rider.

In England and Ireland, people, including cyclists, ride on the lefthand side of the road and, generally, in the absence of markings at a junction, you give way to the right. Whatever the markings on the road and poles there are in that video, some or none, the penny-farthing rider was in the wrong. The fact that there was a camera, and that he so clearly didn't have a clue about slowing the bike or turning it away from the impact, suggests to me that he was riding the thing from a venue just behind the camera-wielder for a lark rather than for transport. -- AJ
Old December 31st 20, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 09:31:43 -0800 (PST),
Andre Jute wrote:

..."When Andre was under our care, we called him the Crown
Prince of Chaos..."

I cannot for the life of me understand why they might say that!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old December 31st 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:

..."When Andre was under our care, we called him the Crown
Prince of Chaos..."

I cannot for the life of me understand why they might say that!
--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

..
Absolutely. Thank you for that encomium, Ted. I knew when I first read your wise posts that you would turn out to be The Right Sort. -- AJ