Evaluating the * Administration's Achievements

Old March 1st 21, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Evaluating the * Administration's Achievements

I can laugh. It isn't my country going down the tubes. And this essayist is genuinely funny.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ilure-n2585441

Andre Jute
Fortunately over 3000 miles away
Old March 1st 21, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Excellent Vulcanizing Fluid

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 1:24:34 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
I can laugh. It isn't my country going down the tubes. And this essayist is genuinely funny.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ilure-n2585441

Andre Jute
Fortunately over 3000 miles away

Fortunately over 3000 miles away but unfortunately still connected to the internet.

So, I had another bunch of tubes I had to repair, and I'd run out of my little tubes of Rema vulcanizing fluid, so I went cheap and got a can of not-Rema vulcanizing fluid: https://www.sherco-auto.com/8-oz-all...AhWwE ALw_wcB

It is thinner than expected, but has the smell-of-Rema volatiles, and it works really well. It is a good buy for high-volume flat repairers. I wanted to get a patch roller, too, but just used my screen roller, which I already own and works surprisingly well. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 1st 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 1 maart 2021 om 23:37:37 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:

It is thinner than expected, but has the smell-of-Rema volatiles, and it works really well. It is a good buy for high-volume flat repairers. I wanted to get a patch roller, too, but just used my screen roller, which I already own and works surprisingly well. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

China?

Lou
Old March 1st 21, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/1/2021 4:37 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That looks just like my Rema patch roller.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qD0AA...CjW/s-l300.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 1st 21, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/1/2021 5:37 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 1:24:34 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
I can laugh. It isn't my country going down the tubes. And this essayist is genuinely funny.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ilure-n2585441

Andre Jute
Fortunately over 3000 miles away

Fortunately over 3000 miles away but unfortunately still connected to the internet.

So, I had another bunch of tubes I had to repair, and I'd run out of my little tubes of Rema vulcanizing fluid, so I went cheap and got a can of not-Rema vulcanizing fluid: https://www.sherco-auto.com/8-oz-all...AhWwE ALw_wcB

It is thinner than expected, but has the smell-of-Rema volatiles, and it works really well. It is a good buy for high-volume flat repairers.

Mr. Bezos charges considerably more.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vulcanizi...ref=nb_sb_noss
But it's still something like 30 times cheaper than little Rema tubes -
of which I seem to be down to one!

I wonder where I can buy a can locally...

I wanted to get a patch roller, too, but just used my screen roller, which I already own and works surprisingly well. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

I fixed today's flat the usual way. A short section of 3/4" dowel
chucked into my (new!) bench vise served as an anvil. After abrading,
cementing and applying the patch, I rolled it down with a second dowel
held perpendicular, like a pastry roller. Two hands and quasi-point
contact gives lots of pressure.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 2nd 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 3:54:41 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

You have the real deal tool. The screen roller is narrower, somewhere between the Rema patch roller and a pizza cutter. I forgot I even owned it -- but found it while looking for something else and decided to use it for my patch-a-thon.

Tools disappear and reappear -- its the spooky action of tools, or as my friend used to put it, the wandering nature of chattel. I lose tools that I'm actually using. I put them on the bench or the ground, and they scurry away.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 2nd 21, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

..
From a writer who lives closer to Jay than 3000 miles, and still uproariously funny:
..
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...weets-n2585229
..

Old March 2nd 21, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/1/2021 2:37 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm interested in hearing about the shelf-life of the can. I bought one
decades ago, and it dried out on me; it's hard to get the cans to seal
well, so the volatiles can escape long before I can use the contents.

I buy cheapo patch kits at Fred Meyer and then throw the patches away,
so I have fresh tubes of glue. I buy Rema patches in bulk once every
decade or so.

Mark J.
Old March 2nd 21, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 8:58:42 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

I think storing the can upside down helps seal it. I never thought about buying kits at Freddy's, but I did the same thing at Western Bikeworks when they opened the NW store and had $.99 patch kits at the counter. That ended too soon. I do like the brush and he single pass application, although if you shake the can as recommended or store it upside down, you have to be careful not to let fluid drip everywhere from the underside of the lid.

$9 for a 10g tube of Rema is heinous. https://www.amazon.com/Rema-Vulcaniz.../dp/B0017RV5XG The same goes with Shimano hydro mineral oil. $12 for 100ml. I got a liter on sale for $16, which was an incredible bargain. It's gone up in price -- must be because of Biden. All bicycle consumables have skyrocketed in the last 40 years, some rockets slower than others.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 2nd 21, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 5:10:39 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have a large number of carbon and aluminum headset spacers and cannot find them. I can no longer see the top of my workbench and the toolbench is covered with the ultrasonic cleaner and the hot pot for waxing the chain. I think that I am going to stop hot waxing chains since in that manner the wax goes in so deep that the shain is pretty stiff for a couple of days and then after all that wax has worked its way out, it becomes noisy. "Cold Wax" the over-the-counter chain lube seems to work very well and Rock n Roll is very good if you leave it to dry overnight.