Latest gear shift tech

Old March 18th 21, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Latest gear shift tech

I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs,
"No Pesky Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 18th 21, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 18th 21, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 12:26:24 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs,
"No Pesky Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

I was worried that Shimano would take away their biggest advantage, the last for months battery. But they arrived at the perfect compromise.
Old March 18th 21, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 12:52:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

Why do you say things like that? If design simplicity were the goal rather than operational simplicity, we would still be riding downtube shifters and riding 27 1/4" tires with Shrader valves.
Old March 18th 21, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 15:52:37 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

But Frank, it avoids the necessity of having to learn such intricate
skills as shifting with those infernal manual down tube shifters :-)

A note here Eddy Merckz - reckoned by some as the greatest bicycle
racer of all times used down tube shifters.
http://internationalcyclesport.com/h...1969_bike.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 19th 21, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

But Frank, it avoids the necessity of having to learn such intricate
skills as shifting with those infernal manual down tube shifters :-)

A note here Eddy Merckz - reckoned by some as the greatest bicycle
racer of all times used down tube shifters.
http://internationalcyclesport.com/h...1969_bike.html

Meh. Anyone riding STI could have beaten him.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 19th 21, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 2:52 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic
hubs, "No Pesky Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

Started with four speed derailleurs if I recall.

Old March 19th 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 5:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 12:52:40 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

Why do you say things like that? If design simplicity were the goal rather than operational simplicity, we would still be riding downtube shifters and riding 27 1/4" tires with Shrader valves.

Au contraire.

Simplicity is my fixed gear + front caliper with tubulars.
I stopped thinking about the bike years ago. It just works
so I just ride.

Old March 19th 21, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 19/3/21 6:26 am, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

The revolutionary no cables will come with a supercap or ultracap and an
energy scavenging charging mechanism on the derailleur itself. Imagine
an eddy current driven dynamo using the chain motion through the rear
derailleur to turn it. Like the Magnic lights.
https://www.magniclight.com/en/

It only has to store enough energy to make a few changes, and as you
pedal (even backwards if you like), it will charge for the next change.

Even a magnet one side and a coil the other side of the moving chain
might be enough. As the passage of the chain varies the permeance
between the magnet and coil, so the magnetic flux in the coil varies and
an AC power source is made.

--
JS
Old March 19th 21, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On 3/18/2021 3:26 PM, AMuzi wrote:
I remember advertisements for Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs, "No Pesky
Cables!"

Shimano achieves that goal differently:

https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/16/pat...fting-details/

When did maximum complexity become a bike design goal?

But Frank, it avoids the necessity of having to learn such intricate
skills as shifting with those infernal manual down tube shifters :-)

A note here Eddy Merckz - reckoned by some as the greatest bicycle
racer of all times used down tube shifters.
http://internationalcyclesport.com/h...1969_bike.html

If Eddy was a true believer in down tube shifters, surely his range of
bicycles sold today would reflect that?

https://www.eddymerckx.com/

--
JS

Idea for future of electronic gear shift. Beware, contains actual"tech" content. James[_8_] Techniques 670 August 7th 12 07:21 PM
NEW TECH GEAR Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_] Social Issues 5 April 11th 11 08:38 PM
Latest Saddle tech Andy Morris UK 2 May 21st 08 12:24 PM
Can't shift into tallest gear [email protected] Techniques 4 September 5th 07 03:19 AM
Q: Somebody please explain my new gear shift Peter Fox[_2_] UK 26 August 2nd 07 07:56 AM