Will this be the death of cycling in the US?

Old April 18th 05, 11:12 PM
crit PRO

Default Will this be the death of cycling in the US?

Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

Old April 18th 05, 11:17 PM
Geraard Spergen

"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

It's Monday.

Old April 19th 05, 12:07 AM
Laz

Guess who doesn't have to get up to go to work on mondays ( or tuesdays
either ) ....

"Geraard Spergen" wrote in message
news:1113862646.8951be3a0fb63474eed25d8fc988f4ca@t eranews...

Old April 19th 05, 12:11 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Dumbass -

Cycling has to be alive in this country before it can die.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old April 19th 05, 12:56 AM
David Ferguson

People who cycle now don't decide whether or not go out because Lance
is cycling.

I do imagine that the number of people who enter the sport/recreation
each year because of their exposure to Lance will decrease, but he was
going to retire someday anyway.

Cycling isn't popular enough to notice the decline in participants.
What we'll notice is the severe decrease in coverage by magazines and
television.

Dave

Old April 19th 05, 01:33 AM
Carl Sundquist

"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

There seems to be a disconnect between you and whoever set up the chairs and
the number of media who felt the news conference was something worth
covering.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...lance/B85F9582

I'll bet they even had a free appetizer buffet for the media, too

Old April 19th 05, 02:08 AM
psycholist

"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

As long as we've got Bobby Julich and Chris Horner, there's hope, right? ...
right?

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old April 19th 05, 02:17 AM
Casey Kerrigan

In article , David Ferguson
wrote:

People who cycle now don't decide whether or not go out because Lance
is cycling.

I do imagine that the number of people who enter the sport/recreation
each year because of their exposure to Lance will decrease, but he was
going to retire someday anyway.

Cycling isn't popular enough to notice the decline in participants.
What we'll notice is the severe decrease in coverage by magazines and
television.

The popularity of bicycle racing ( in terms of the number of people
actually racing) isn't really affected by Lance or any other popular
Pro racer. The bigger factor is having good grass roots programs that
make it easier for people interested in racing to give the sport a try.
We could probably easily double the number of USCF licensed riders if
each racing region had monthly training clinics for new racers, more
separate races for Cat 5 men and Cat 4 women ( at both the elite and
master levels) and other programs to make life easier for entry level
riders.
Old April 19th 05, 03:00 AM
Howard Kveck

In article .com,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

Dumbass -

Cycling has to be alive in this country before it can die.

For some reason, this reminds me of a scene from "Young Frankenstein".

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old April 19th 05, 04:17 AM
Sam

"crit PRO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lance stepping down.
Tyler getting sacked.

Same day. Where were you when you heard the news? Tuesday April 18,
2005. It's the Kennedy moment for our generation.

crit PRO

So one athlete announcing his retirement and another being suspended equates
in your mind to a popular US President being assassinated?