Run over by a ute

Old March 12th 07, 10:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Scott Blanch

Default Run over by a ute

There I was just riding along... actually I was stopped and waiting for
the traffic to clear a roundabout to turn right when I felt a bump from
behind. My first thought was that somebody I knew was trying to take the
**** out of me so I turned around but didn't recognize anybody I knew so
I assumed that the guy in the Home Hardware ute had maybe just rolled
forward a bit. As it was only a light love tap I didn't take much more
notice but rolled forward myself about a 1/2 metre for a bit of
clearance. When the traffic cleared and I was about to throw a boot into
the pedal the guy in the ute behind me drove on right over the top of
me. I was knocked off of course and the ute drove straight over the back
wheel/rear sub frame of my near new 06 Trek 1400. He looked like he was
going to keep on going but a lady pedestrian got his attention on the
other side of the road and he stopped and then ran back across the road
to render any assistance claiming that he didn't see me ...duh. I didn't
have any injuries apart from some slight gravel rash and bruising.
Admittedly we were facing due east and at 0700 the sun does shine
directly into the eyes and I wasn't wearing high viz clothing but a blue
wife-beater singlet and brown back pack so I guess I can accept some of
the blame. Although I am not sure if it would have made any difference
if I was wearing something more colorful. He has agreed to pay for
damages and the bike has been declared a write off by the LBS.
I can pick up a full CF Azzuri with 105 groupset for same price as a 07
Trek 1400 and for another $500.00 I can get Ultegra. Has anybody here
any experience with the Aus. made Azzzuri good / bad, indifferent? and
would I be better off paying the extra for the Ultegra seeing that I
mainly commute with the occasional weekend road ride about 120km per
week total?

Old March 12th 07, 11:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_49_]

gplama Wrote:
Wrong.

Correct.

Forget 105 or Ultegra, see if you can extract more quids out of Mr
Utility Driver & go full Campy.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 12th 07, 12:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F[_3_]

Scott Blanch wrote:
[...]

How the hell could he not have seen you when he touched you with his
front bumper? No one should have been driving if visibility were that
poor....

--
//Adam F
Old March 12th 07, 10:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_15_]

Glad to hear you're ok, and that he's stopped and agreed to help you
out. When I got smashed at a roundabout, the C!!#T just did a U-turn
and sped off in the other direction !

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 12th 07, 11:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:32:19 +1100
gplama wrote:

Scott Blanch Wrote:

.... and I wasn't wearing high viz clothing but a blue
wife-beater singlet and brown back pack so I guess I can accept some
of
the blame.

Wrong.

Definitely wrong.

If the ute driver couldn't see, then the ute driver shouldn't have
moved forward.

That the driver wasn't paying attention is rather obvious. Don't say
anything at all about clothing, if they say you weren't you say "Is it
required by law? If not then you can't use that as an excuse for not
paying attention".

Hi-vis clothing is to try and trigger an exception processor. That's a
very high risk procedure as the more focused on something else the driver
is, the less likely the exception will register. And the more they'll
say "you couldn't expect me to pay attention to you" to divert blame.

The fault's not in the clothing, it's in the driver not using their brain
for the job they should be doing, but for some other job. It seems the
job they were doing was "get where I'm going" not "drive with due care
and attention". Don't reward them for doing the wrong job.

Zebee
Old March 12th 07, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
alkesh[_3_]

One of my friends has an Azzurri. I think it is the Tigre, or an earlier
version of the same price point. For an entry level bike, it seems to be
fine. I've heard mixed stories about their carbon frames. There was a
review of one in Bicycling Australia magazine last month I think. I
might see if I can find it.

--
alkesh

Old March 13th 07, 04:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_11_]

Scott Blanch Wrote:
When the traffic cleared and I was about to throw a boot into
the pedal the guy in the ute behind me drove on right over the top of
me. I was knocked off of course and the ute drove straight over the
back
wheel/rear sub frame of my near new 06 Trek 1400.

I don't quite understand how he drove over the top of your bike and not
you. When I'm at a roundabout I'm in the middle of the lane, smack bang
in front of the driver. Glad it was just the bike he ran over.

Scot Blanch Wrote:
Admittedly we were facing due east and at 0700 the sun does shine
directly into the eyes and I wasn't wearing high viz clothing but a
blue
wife-beater singlet and brown back pack so I guess I can accept some of
the blame.

No you don't. There's nothing in law that says you must look like a
sleazy fluorescent sign to ride a bicycle, or that cars need to be
designed that way for that matter.

Scot Blanch Wrote:
I can pick up a full CF Azzuri with 105 groupset for same price as a 07
Trek 1400 and for another $500.00 I can get Ultegra. Has anybody here
any experience with the Aus. made Azzzuri good / bad, indifferent? and
would I be better off paying the extra for the Ultegra seeing that I
mainly commute with the occasional weekend road ride about 120km per
week total?

Personally I'd stick with the Trek. I've had no experience of tha
Azzuri but I really like the ride of the Trek.

--
EuanB

Old March 13th 07, 06:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_43_]

EuanB Wrote:
I don't quite understand how he drove over the top of your bike and not
you. When I'm at a roundabout I'm in the middle of the lane, smack bang
in front of the driver. Glad it was just the bike he ran over.

QUOTE]

did this happen or are we being suckered here?

can't imagine anyone ( other than an anonymous guest out to tug a leg)
getting their bike run over and being more concerned on 105 over
Ultegra (and on a Trek 1400 of all things!)....rather than discussing
liability, duty of care, round about rules/law and seeking a solution
to ensure this is not a repeat at that location...

--
rooman

Old March 13th 07, 12:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_16_]

(and on a Trek 1400 of all things!)....

HEY !! .... carefull bucko !

gm