A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bicycling for fun and profit.

Old May 2nd 17, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Bicycling for fun and profit.

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:29:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My wife was using her "map" program and noticed that you could get to where she was going faster on a bicycle than on public transit (buses). As I mentioned last time I had an appointment in Palo Alto - I could have gotten to my appointment 5 minutes or so faster by bike than in the heavy traffic that now appears to have taken over I-280 during commute times. And this is only 25 miles.

Long distance trucking is likely to take quite a hit from the left-wing states really adding on gas taxes.

California added another 50% to their gas taxes despite the fact that the California taxes are chasing more and more businesses out of the state. There are no more heavy equipment manufacturers in California. There are no longer even any automobile assembly plants except for Tesla and he has been having second thoughts since the cost of housing for his workers (even though his plant is almost entirely automated) is skyrocketing.

The southern California aircraft manufacturers have been moving out for years. There is now little more than research and development.

But the end result of all this is that bicycles are one of the last untaxed forms of transportation.

Is there any questions that the leftist states will soon tax the only untaxed item available to the general public?

My 10-Km commute takes me 30 minutes, on average--if it weren't for the stop lights and signs, it would e closer to 20. It is 35 minutes by bus and about 30 minutes by car, but I then have a seven-minute march from the parking lot.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Ads
Old May 2nd 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 6:42:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
My wife was using her "map" program and noticed that you could get to where she was going faster on a bicycle than on public transit (buses). As I mentioned last time I had an appointment in Palo Alto - I could have gotten to my appointment 5 minutes or so faster by bike than in the heavy traffic that now appears to have taken over I-280 during commute times. And this is only 25 miles.

Long distance trucking is likely to take quite a hit from the left-wing states really adding on gas taxes.

California added another 50% to their gas taxes despite the fact that the California taxes are chasing more and more businesses out of the state. There are no more heavy equipment manufacturers in California. There are no longer even any automobile assembly plants except for Tesla and he has been having second thoughts since the cost of housing for his workers (even though his plant is almost entirely automated) is skyrocketing.

The southern California aircraft manufacturers have been moving out for years. There is now little more than research and development.

But the end result of all this is that bicycles are one of the last untaxed forms of transportation.

Is there any questions that the leftist states will soon tax the only untaxed item available to the general public?

My 10-Km commute takes me 30 minutes, on average--if it weren't for the stop lights and signs, it would e closer to 20. It is 35 minutes by bus and about 30 minutes by car, but I then have a seven-minute march from the parking lot.
--
Andrew Chaplin

The problem with a bike in California is you can't leave it anywhere. When you came back it would be gone.
Old May 3rd 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 5:11:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 6:42:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:

California added another 50% to their gas taxes despite the fact that the California taxes are chasing more and more businesses out of the state.. There are no more heavy equipment manufacturers in California. There are no longer even any automobile assembly plants except for Tesla and he has been having second thoughts since the cost of housing for his workers (even though his plant is almost entirely automated) is skyrocketing.

The problem with a bike in California is you can't leave it anywhere. When you came back it would be gone.

Not much different here. Fortunately, I have access to a garage in the basement
of the building where I work for CAD40/annum. My bike spends my days at work in
HVAC comfort.
--
Andrew Chaplin