Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

Old September 24th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

On 2018-09-24 12:26, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 10:09:50 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 9/24/2018 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
He said it's from 1972. So he's got me beat by 10 years with my
road bike.

He's tied with my utility bike, which is ridden almost daily.

My PX10 was from '69 and bought in '72-3, but its long gone. RIP. To
get a 7 speed on the PX10, he had to send the PW hubs back to PW for
a new axle (probably $90 plus shipping unless local shop has tools).
He also had to re-space the frame (making sure he dropouts are
parallel, probably $60 if he went to a shop) dish the wheels
(assuming the rear wasn't disassembled to return the hub $20). All
the replacement stuff with freewheel, saddle, brake pads, cables,
tape. We're talking an easy $400 to make it a bike that needs
another $500 to make it as good as a $400 bike from Bikes Direct.

My friend already had Phil Woods hubs and BB on there so that helped.

... I look at this and groan:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...2/IMG_2675.JPG

You'd have to shift that really slooow to avoid pretezeluing the
derailer. It was easier on my Gazelle frame because it has much longer
slots plus vernier adjustment screws for exact wheel alignment. Still I
have to shift to the 32T gently, no slamming.

I never understood people who collected second string French stuff
from that era. I could see fluffing up a Masi or DeRosa, but that's
about it for me. I bought a used PX10 when I was in high school, and
it was all I could afford. I would have bought Italian if I had the
money.

For some reason those PX-10 have achieved cult following around here. I
met a guy in Placerville who had a vintage Italian bike and a Peugeot
PX-10 restored at a Sacramento bike shop, to the tune of $1000. Each,
and that was sans frame costs. Beats me why. The chrome plated rear end
looks cool but other than that I don't see a reason to put up with all
the incompatibilities. Maybe it affords the same coolness as tooling
around in a Porsche 356.

Reactions on the bike paths are sometimes interesting. A rider who was
behind me at a distance for a long time pulled up to the side and asked
"Why are you sometimes reaching down yet you don't grab your water
bottle?" ... "I was shifting, with the friction levers down here" ...
"Oh!" ... It sounded like he just had to know. I guess he was too young
to have ever seen those. Then came "You have mountain bike pedals on the
road bike?!". Eventually they see the semi-built-in MP3 speaker, on a
1980's bike.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 24th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:26:12 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

I bought a used PX10 when I was in high school, and it was all
I could afford. I would have bought Italian if I had the money.

My parents bought me a Peugeot UO-8 10 speed in approx 1963 because we
couldn't afford a PX-10:
http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Flyers%20USA/Peugeot%201963-1964%20USA%20Flyer/Peugeot%201963-1964%20USA%20Flyer%20Page%202.JPG
https://www.google.com/search?q=peugeot+UO-8&tbm=isch
I don't recall what happened to it except that I had it in High Skool
ending in 1965. After High Skool, I was into cars and girls. I
didn't need or want a bicycle.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 25th 18, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb wrote:

The first person to ride across the U.S., on
a bicycle, was a Brit

Industrialism, underground/subway, Manchester
trousers/pants, punk music, Mount Everest, exit
from the EU...

one Thomas Stevens, who ride a "50 inch
penny-farthing" built by the Pope
Manufacturing Company of Chicago, from San
Francisco to Boston in 1884. No big tires, no
10 speed gears, no beaker of beer, just
a pair of socks, a spare shirt, a raincoat
and a pocket revolver.

Very impressive!

But really, I'm sure some sailor was stranded
on a desert island, and he survived by eating
his belt and the occasional raw flying fish
that landed on his raft. OK, so it is possible
to do. This doesn't mean being cold, isolated,
hammered by the elements, and this wierd belt
diet, that any of that should be recommended
to anyone.

Just like an 1884 bike, or a modern road bike,
shouldn't be considered riding that stuff on
the photo.

No, one should have, e.g.

MTB
29*2.20"
shock absorber (-- correct terminology?)

PS. Man, this was a fun post to write! DS.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 25th 18, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:03:58 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

You forget the Indians.
The Battle of Wounded Knee occurred on December 29, 1890.
The "Sioux Wars" were still taking place, the last battle was in 1891
and the last Apache raid into the United States occurred in 1924.
--
Cheers

John B.

Old September 25th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 12:41:19 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2018 2:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

-- Jay Beattie.

I have a fondness for French bikes but except for accurate
restorations
http://www.yellowjersey.org/PEUGWISE.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/klz15a.jpg

I agree with you. Sorta halfway 'upgrades' are seldom worth
the trouble.

Sheldon had a fondness for French bikes, too, and would often box my ears for disrespecting them. And I regard the accurate restoration and collecting of French bikes as an entirely different endeavor than "upgrading" -- which is a lot of work to get an O.K. running bike.

With clamp-on everything, I'd strip the frame, braze on some TT guides, BB cable guide, DT bosses or stops on the HT, FD tab, drill and tap the drop-outs for adjusters (popular upgrade back in the day), tap hanger to 10mm, file for b-adjuster, tap the eyelets. I'd replace the steerer or get a new fork so I could use a 22.2 stem and maybe ream the HT for JIS or what -- throw some brass in there to reduce to ISO? I skipped that process because Campy French headsets were readily available when I upgraded my PX10 in 1980-81. Erasing all things French, though, would be difficult -- you still have an obsolete BB standard, unless you re-tap that too, which would be a job.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 25th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/25/2018 11:45 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

This checks all your boxes:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/pkn11f.jpg

Cute, but more $$ than just buying a new Bianchi with the
same equipment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 25th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2018 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
He said it's from 1972. So he's got me beat by 10 years with
my road bike.

He's tied with my utility bike, which is ridden almost daily.

My PX10 was from '69 and bought in '72-3, but its long gone. RIP.
To get a 7 speed on the PX10, he had to send the PW hubs back to
PW for a new axle (probably $90 plus shipping unless local shop
has tools). He also had to re-space the frame (making sure he
dropouts are parallel, probably $60 if he went to a shop) dish
the wheels (assuming the rear wasn't disassembled to return the
hub $20). All the replacement stuff with freewheel, saddle, brake
pads, cables, tape. We're talking an easy $400 to make it a
bike that needs another $500 to make it as good as a $400 bike
from Bikes Direct. I look at this and groan:
[...]

Mon Dieu! Then the original paint job is toast and the value of the
frame could instantly change from $500 to $0.

... BB cable guide, DT bosses or stops on the HT, FD tab, drill
and tap the drop-outs for adjusters (popular upgrade back in the
day), tap hanger to 10mm, file for b-adjuster, tap the eyelets. I'd
replace the steerer or get a new fork so I could use a 22.2 stem and
maybe ream the HT for JIS or what -- throw some brass in there to
reduce to ISO? I skipped that process because Campy French headsets
were readily available when I upgraded my PX10 in 1980-81. Erasing
all things French, though, would be difficult -- you still have an
obsolete BB standard, unless you re-tap that too, which would be a
job.

In that case I'd sell it and search Craigslist for a nice modern bike.

Old September 26th 18, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 10:49:36 -0700, Joerg wrote:

Mon Dieu! Then the original paint job is toast and the value of the
frame could instantly change from $500 to $0.

A sloppy coat of paint does that, and reduces tea-leaf attention. At one
stage I was forced to use some gifted taiwanesse cheap clunker which I
fitted with a good drive chain until the spare cash allowed me to buy a
very good GP frame. Had the bike shop braze on water bottle mounts and
said I'd do the painting, which i just slapped on awfully.

Bike shop guy was horrified, but as I pointed out, the average tea leaf
would have a similar reaction and not look closely at the drive chainand
other stuff and thus turn their attentin elsewhere. rode that bike for
decades.

Looking out for a Peugeot. Simon Mason UK 17 July 11th 11 12:27 PM
Peugeot daniel Techniques 13 January 5th 07 05:02 AM
Peugeot daniel Techniques 0 January 3rd 07 11:37 PM
threadless fork size: one size smaller for frame size [email protected] Techniques 2 February 24th 06 04:49 AM
Peugeot ? Slavko Vorkapitch Techniques 51 September 9th 04 07:55 AM