Top Speed

Old August 29th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Default Top Speed

steveyo wrote:
(Hazmat's) claim was 44kph, not mph

So it was. I thought it was mph. In that case it's not so silly (@
Hazmat: sorry if I was a bit harsh mate, but I'm sure you've claimed
44*mph* in other threads). Still bloody fast, but no more than some
other people claim.

Steve: I can do 15 or 16mph on my coker with 150s, and have once
touched 18mph (but it didn't feel at all safe), and I'm not really a
very good cokeur. So I don't find it hard to believe that a good rider
on shorter cranks can go a good deal faster than that - certainly over
20mph. Claims of 25-30mph do sound pretty amazing, but I wouldn't say
impossible for a short sprint (with a very experienced and confident
rider).

Rob

--
rob.northcott
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Well steveyo, i have to wait till i get enough *$$$* to make my modded
machine/unicycle b4 attempting this.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT.

**Please vote. *'The Hazmat Poll'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458)'
Hazmats unicycle Design/Creation
competition'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho....php?t=62030)*
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ellsworth23

Speaking of cyclocomputers, I use both kinds on my bikes. I actually
like the wireless better, but I think they both work fine. I just put a
wired one I had laying around on my Torker the other day and it works
great. It's amazing how much farther you go in a 2 or 3 mile ride on a
unicycle than you do on a bike. I think the squiggly path your tire
takes will add a tenth mile or so in that distance. Of course you have
to have it calibrated correctly or there's no telling how far you'll
travel.

--
ellsworth23
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

ellsworth23 wrote:
It's amazing how much farther you go in a 2 or 3 mile ride on a unicycle
than you do on a bike. I think the squiggly path your tire takes will
add a tenth mile or so in that distance.

I think that's almost exactly what I found for a 3-mile ride. I also
used two puters for awhile, one on the wheel and a GPS on my wrist. The
difference was about 3%. When I rode a GPS mile, my cyclometer would
read 1.03 miles. Over 3 miles, that's nearly a tenth of a mile.

I think a lot has to do with rider skill and uni wheel size. If a
skilled rider keeps the wheel straighter, the added distance will be a
bit less. And it's easier to keep a large wheel straight. I imagine
that a mile on a 24" uni adds even more than 3% in wiggle.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

steveyo wrote:
OK, I like this hard data stuff. No cars clocking the speed, no speed
guns or cyclometer readings. After crunching Misters Foss and
Rosendahl's numbers through Excel, I've figured,
*Average speed*: JF: 16.316mph & PR: 17.558mph
...and based on approximate wheel rollout of 24" * 3.1415...
*Average cadence*: JF: 228.517rpm & PR: 245.916rpm

Since their times were 100m from dead stops, their max speed and rpms
must have been even higher than those averages.

First of all, let me just say - fricking -*YOWZA!*-
Second of all, this convinces me that some of these claimants to
20-something mph on 36ers could be correct. 30mph still seems far
fetched to me, but less so after working up these 24" sprint times.

So Dustin, Hazmat, Ducttape, get your youthful butts out and do a
verified speed course. Let's see what you can do in a verified
situation. 30 mph here we come! (I mean "we" in a general sense, cuz
I ain't doin' that sh**! I get scared around 16-17 mph.)

I'll start looking for a verified speed course soon, I want to know
exactly how fast I can REALLY go, I'm going to put the 89mm cranks on
first though.

--
Ducttape

'-*BUY MY SHIRTS*-'
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle/products)
'*WATCH MY VIDEOS*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DucttapesUnicycle)

'*Uniman Comics*'
'*Original Thread for Uniman*'
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Ducttape wrote:
I'll start looking for a verified speed course soon, I want to know
exactly how fast I can REALLY go, I'm going to put the 89mm cranks on
first though.

The parent-part of me can't help but say...*be careful*.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

steveyo wrote:
The parent-part of me can't help but say...*be careful*.

I will.... well as careful as I normally am....