Ultra-Torque crank question

Old November 6th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

Default Ultra-Torque crank question

Broke the retaining bolt yesterday (the one that holds the two sides
of the Horsch (sp) joint together), a LBS found me a shimano
replacement (on a campag set of cranks) to get me home, how different
are these two parts and do I really need a campag one?

Old November 7th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_4_]

"PiledHIgher" wrote in message
ups.com...
Broke the retaining bolt yesterday (the one that holds the two sides
of the Horsch (sp) joint together), a LBS found me a shimano
replacement (on a campag set of cranks) to get me home, how different
are these two parts and do I really need a campag one?

I have no idea, but having just bought one of these cranks, I am very
curious about how this bolt may have broken. It's likely the largest and
strongest bolts on the entire bike. ...over-torqued perhaps?

Jeff

Old November 7th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

On Nov 7, 12:44 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
"PiledHIgher" wrote in message

ups.com...

Broke the retaining bolt yesterday (the one that holds the two sides
of the Horsch (sp) joint together), a LBS found me a shimano
replacement (on a campag set of cranks) to get me home, how different
are these two parts and do I really need a campag one?

I have no idea, but having just bought one of these cranks, I am very
curious about how this bolt may have broken. It's likely the largest and
strongest bolts on the entire bike. ...over-torqued perhaps?

Jeff

The head of the bolt came off (fortunately the allen key part extends
into the barrel of the bolt so the bolt threads gould be readily
removed). I believe that the cracking most likely occurred at teh
shoulder of the bolt head but the head disappeard so only have the
shaft piece for reference.

There is a relatively narrow range of installation torques (low and
high) specified so gould potentially be either/