Wicker basket?

Old December 10th 07, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
brucef

Default Wicker basket?

Hi guys, I picked up a new (?) bike for the missus from the bring-out-
your-dead in Shenton Park on the weekend. I think it has great
potential - it is an old Malvern Star step-through with the classic
swept-back handlebars. Frame is in fair condition, yellow paint
chipped and a few rust spots - a new coat of canary yellow should do
the job. 5-speed dérailleur in perfect working order. Needs new tyres.
Pull-type brakes (what do you call them?) move well but for some
reason the brake pads have been removed. Handlebars are a bit rusty,
not sure what to do about that because I don't want to replace them
with a more modern style. Needs a new seat - the entire seat and post
is missing.

But most importantly: this bike really needs a classic wicker basket.
Any idea who might sell these, preferably in Perth?

I found one seller in Melbourne on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250194192682
Old December 10th 07, 09:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-12-10, brucef wrote:
Hi guys, I picked up a new (?) bike for the missus from the bring-out-
your-dead in Shenton Park on the weekend. I think it has great
potential - it is an old Malvern Star step-through with the classic
swept-back handlebars. Frame is in fair condition, yellow paint
chipped and a few rust spots - a new coat of canary yellow should do
the job. 5-speed dérailleur in perfect working order. Needs new tyres.
Pull-type brakes (what do you call them?) move well but for some
reason the brake pads have been removed.

Sound's like a good and stead.

I recomend replacing the cables on any second hand bike. you
nevery know when an old cable is going to brake...

And old pads usually have dried out and either squeal or don't work very
well, so thats not a big loss.

Handlebars are a bit rusty, not sure what to do about that because I
don't want to replace them with a more modern style.

Try some steel wool on the rust, unless the chroming is completely gone
they usually come up pretty well.

Needs a new seat - the entire seat and post is missing.

But most importantly: this bike really needs a classic wicker basket.
Any idea who might sell these, preferably in Perth?

Any bike store should be able to source one, but they're pretty
overpriced IMHO. I've had good luck buying a plain picnick type basket
from op-shops and using cable ties between the wicker to attach.

Cheers

Joel
--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction
Old December 10th 07, 11:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"brucef" wrote:

But most importantly: this bike really needs a classic wicker basket.
Any idea who might sell these, preferably in Perth?

I found one seller in Melbourne on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250194192682

May be more readily available on-line. I've just ordered one from St John
Street Cycles in the UK. Going to cost me about 45 pounds (!!) - too much I
know, but it is the Rixen and Kaull Willow basket that attaches to their
Klickfix mount, that we already use with our handlebar bags.

That ebay one looks to be a good buy. There is also the Dimension Rattan
basket from AE Bike
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=BG1102 for
$US39.99. I have found them to be very good for delivery and relaibility,
bought several things from them over the years.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old December 11th 07, 01:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
brucef

On Dec 10, 8:51 pm, "PeteSig" wrote:
That ebay one looks to be a good buy.

Except that I just realised that it is plastic. What the hell is
"plastic wicker"?

There is also the Dimension Rattan
basket from AE Bikehttp://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=BG1102 for
$US39.99.

Ouch.

Found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250195833511
Which looks nice at 5GBP (+10GBP del), but no way it would be here for
Christmas.

I think I will go for a small picnic basket and cable ties.
Old December 11th 07, 09:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
matagi[_20_]

Cheeky Transport in Newtown (Sydney) have wicker baskets - they're not
too bad, I bought one last week for my new bike

http://shop.cheekytransport.com.au/s...op?idProduct=1

--
matagi

Old December 12th 07, 12:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_523_]

Joel Mayes Wrote:

Any bike store should be able to source one, but they're pretty
overpriced IMHO. I've had good luck buying a plain picnick type basket
from op-shops and using cable ties between the wicker to attach.

Similarly, try Cobra Cane in Smith Street and reusable zipties.

--
cfsmtb

Old December 14th 07, 10:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Midex

On 10 dez, 00:30, brucef wrote:
Hi guys, I picked up a new (?) bike for the missus from the bring-out-
your-dead in Shenton Park on the weekend. I think it has great
potential - it is an old Malvern Star step-through with the classic
swept-back handlebars. Frame is in fair condition, yellow paint
chipped and a few rust spots - a new coat of canary yellow should do
the job. 5-speed dérailleur in perfect working order. Needs new tyres.
Pull-type brakes (what do you call them?) move well but for some
reason the brake pads have been removed. Handlebars are a bit rusty,
not sure what to do about that because I don't want to replace them
with a more modern style. Needs a new seat - the entire seat and post
is missing.

But most importantly: this bike really needs a classic wicker basket.
Any idea who might sell these, preferably in Perth?

I found one seller in Melbourne on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI..dll?ViewItem&item=250194192682

Well the former President of Italy, Franscesco Cossigo has just
dropped a bomb shell and its dead silent in the Australian media:

"From areas around the Palazzo Chigi, nerve centre of direction of
Italian intelligence, it is noted that the non-authenticity of the
video is testified from the fact that Osama bin Laden in it
'confessed' that Al Qaeda would have been the author of the attack of
the 11 September to the Twin Towers in New York, while all of the
democratic areas of, America and of Europe, with in the forefront
those of the Italian, centre-left, now know well that the disastrous
attack was planned and realized by the American CIA and Mossad with
the help of the Zionist world to put under accusation the Arabic
Countries and to persuade the Western Powers to intervene in Iraq and
Afghanistan For this, no word of solidarity arrived to Silvio
Berlusconi, who has been the author of the brilliant falsification,
neither from the Quironale nor from Palazzo Chigi, nor from
representatives of the centre-left!"

http://www.corriere.it/politica/07_n...ba99c53b.shtml
http://activistnyc.wordpress.com/200...an-inside-job/

So what does that tell you about the Australian media? That they are
controlled by the jews.

How does it all feel everyone to have solid evidence that your country
is being ruled by a pack of slimy scheming jews?

The jews are at it again. Time for a REAL holocaust this time.

Old December 14th 07, 11:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Midex wrote:

video is testified from the fact that Osama bin Laden in it
'confessed' that Al Qaeda would have been the author of the attack of

Damm, sending secret messages by wicker basket. No wonder we're loosing.
Old December 18th 07, 11:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_534_]

Terryc Wrote:
Midex wrote:

video is testified from the fact that Osama bin Laden in it
'confessed' that Al Qaeda would have been the author of the attack

of

Damm, sending secret messages by wicker basket. No wonder we're
loosing.

Quick, break out the emergency tin-foil hats!

--
cfsmtb

Hanging Basket Tom Crispin UK 93 July 13th 06 09:55 AM
Helmets again - RPI basket Colin McKenzie UK 3 March 23rd 05 07:11 AM
Wicker chainring guards Danny Colyer UK 6 August 5th 04 05:08 PM
Dog basket for small dog. Man with no pigs Australia 2 March 28th 04 10:07 AM
EZ3 basket Bill B Recumbent Biking 0 November 3rd 03 06:31 PM