How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:19 PM
res09c5t

Default How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

find you something that is just right for you. They can swap out stems
and handlebars and seats (for a small upcharge usually, sometimes
they'll do even trades) and get it dialled in. Mail-order shops can't
do
that for you.

Airborne has a free stem exchange policy. They do charge if the new stem is
more expensive.

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janet...e/swaproad.asp

Old July 23rd 05, 02:27 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

NYC XYZ wrote:
Vis-a-vis the price, anyway -- $1,300 for 19-lb. bikes!!

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janet...TI-special.asp

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janet...TB-special.asp

The first link is to a TITANIUM frame upright, while the second is for
the Thunderbolt with an aluminum frame. Oddly enough, the aluminum
bike weighs slightly less than the titanium one?? Components, I
suppose -- so what do y'all think of 'em?

For example...caliper brakes?? 9-speed cassette??

Which one would you get, if these were the choices?

How do they compare to your current bike -- etc.?

Find a good bike shop, see if the thing fits you, and then it may be a
good deal. If ya buy it, take it again to a good bike shop and have hit
disassembvled and reassembled correctly, particularly the wheels.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:29 PM
NYC XYZ

wrote:
since you want a Ti bike, I would suggest that you go he
http://www.habcycles.com/
Habanero frames are good quality, just like airborne. However, it is
smaller volume, and the owner, Mark, will spend more time talking to
you and answering all the questions that you have very patiently.

Hey, cool, thanks for the ref!

Mark
is a regular poster here and a nice guy, but don't talk politics with
him.

LOL -- politics? That's interesting...the bike advocacy orgs here in
NYC seem pretty left-of-center!

Andres

Old July 23rd 05, 02:32 PM
NYC XYZ

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Find a good bike shop, see if the thing fits you, and then it may be a
good deal. If ya buy it, take it again to a good bike shop and have hit
disassembvled and reassembled correctly, particularly the wheels.

I figured the thing was coming in a box, and I was going to hire this
dude from the LBS to assemble it for me right (he's been trying to
start a lil' side-job, apparently...how much should a guy be paid for
this work, assembling a bike? Does it seem suspicious he also deals in
used bikes, on the side, on his own?).

Old July 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
threefire

You must be joking. You think economically sanctioning a country will
help improve its human rights? You think the ruler rather than the
regular people are going to suffer more from a poor economy? The
"enemy" thing is nothing more than a fear out of ignorance. When was
the last time China was of any real and actual threat to the US? How
many of the claims you made were from first hand experience instead of
politically motivated propaganda (you believe everything said on TV?
they also say you can lose 70 pounds in a month on TV)? The human
rights violation theory is way overrated. It's in many people's
interests to exaggerate these things.

Besides, half of the goods sold in this country are made in China. You
better stop buying anything now.

Gooserider wrote:
Airborne is fine, if you don't mind buying a Chinese bicycle. I don't
support communist dictatorships. I own three Taiwanese bikes, and an
American bike. The American bike is head and shoulders above the
Taiwanese quality wise, but it was far more expensive, too. I wouldn't
buy the Airborne, but that's purely on an ethical level. I'm sure the
quality is fine.

I don't mind buying Chinese bikes, I have three of them from this
manufacturer. Whether a dictatorship is communist or capitalist is all the
same to me.
My titanium mountain bike has taken a pounding and is still going strong.

The problem with buying Chinese goods is the very real possibility that
doing so supports our enemy.War with China over Taiwan is not out of the
question. The Chinese have a horrible human rights record, you know. People
there are routinely put in re-education camps, undergo forced sterilization,
are placed in forced labor camps, and face other such horrible acts. Every
dollar you spend on Chinese goods goes to strengthen them both economically
and militarily. I would no more buy Chinese goods than I would buy conflict
diamonds.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:58 PM
NYC XYZ

araby wrote:

Are you serious?
An extra 5 pounds on a rider plus bike all up weight of 230+20lb bike
weight i.e.250lb is 5/250 =2%!!

Just figured that it all adds up...my weekend rides can be like 50+
miles (and Jersey has a lot of hills)....

Have you ever stopped to consider why these bikes are being offered at such
a massive discount. There aren't any free lunches.

Indeed, that's why I wanted your opinions on these two particular
Airborne models being discounted.

Also if you aren't familiar with -as you put it "Shimano this and Bontrager
that", why are we having this discussion?

I just wanted to know what folks in the know think of this Airborne
sale.

You really need to buy a copy of
Bike 101 and read it. I don't understand your comments caliper brakes.
Virtually all performance road bikes have them including ALL the TdeF
iders -same thing with drop bars

Sorry, but I'm not your kind of rider...never knew the difference
between "wheel" and "rim" for the longest time; just didn't occur to
me!

I'm not trying to be rude but are you on the level

Sorry, but I really haven't any idea which is why I'm here asking!

-or are you trying
(-successfully!)to wind us up?

What is it with the Black Helicopters and New World Order?? =)

Cheers

Roy

Old July 23rd 05, 03:34 PM
Zoom

NYC XYZ wrote:
araby wrote:

[...]

This is the place that makes the Airborne frames.
You can email them direct and they will answer your questions. Ask them
for a price list.

http://www.xacd.com.cn/

Old July 23rd 05, 03:44 PM
Bill Sornson

NYC XYZ wrote:

{whole buncha snippage}

I totally agree. Thing is, $1,200 for this bike is quite a deal! I'm
sure I'll fit...I've always bought pre-built bikes, and they've never
felt totally comfortable, whatever that means when it comes to
bicycling.

Have you ever been fit to a bike?

Giving up now, BS

Old July 23rd 05, 03:58 PM
Bill Sornson

NYC XYZ wrote:
I'm thinking of the Thunderbolt Triple now, even though my first
impluse was towards the titanium hybrid....

As I said 12 hours ago, "Dude, you're all over the map."

Bill "OK, this time I /really/ give up!" S.