Front Derailleur Question

Old May 8th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Front Derailleur Question

I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs against
the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.

Thanks,

fybar
Old May 8th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"fybar" wrote in message
I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs
against
the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.

Thanks,

fybar

Try this.
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#front

Old May 8th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

fybar napisal(a):
I have a Shimano Acera (FD-M330?) front deraiileur on a used bike that I
just got. It shifts to the lower gears, smaller ones, no problem.
However, when I go to the largest one it pushes out to far and rubs against
the chain and has also pushed the chain off in a couple of instances.
There are two screws to adjust, I just want to know what each screw does
when I tighten or loosen it. I was looking for a pdf but cannot find one.

they're marked 'H' and 'L' somewhere near on the derailleur. The 'High'
one interests you right now, cause it adjusts a range of derailleur's
arm over the bigest chainwheel. By tightening it you can reduce this
range to prevent of pushing the chain off.
The 'Low' one adjusts the range of arm over the smallest chainwheel, to
prevent of pushing the chain too far off it's properely inmost
position.
/don't know how to explain it better or sth like that ;p/

Old May 10th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Shimi wrote:
fybar napisal(a):
[...]

They both turn in the normal direction.
Tighten to reduce the range (when it overshift off of the gears).
Loosen to increase the range (when it does not reach the last gear).
If you look underneath, you might be able to see the screw touching a
metal projection when at the limit.